AA Teams to Watch 2018

knightsfan

Was hoping to hear everyones thoughts on teams to watch in Division 1 AA. I know the district (district 11 or 12) with Page, Nolensville, Giles County, and Central Magnet seems very tough. If i had to pick 2 right now from that district I would say Nolensville and Page (however Giles County did just beat Page 1-0). I have heard good things about White House Heritage this year. Hume-Fogg looks to be pretty good too. MLK should be the other team with Hume-Fogg out of district 10. I could be wrong, but it appears White house might be on a little bit of a down year (granted you can only go down after winning state). So District 9 looks to be WHH, White House, and Beech. Knoxville Catholic looks to be tough it appears. Please let me know everyones thoughts, especially about other teams out west and east. 

I think WHH is a good, well coached team. They have the attacking pieces to cause teams problems. 

Central Magnet has a good CB and back line but lacks the attack to be dangerous. The three games I saw them play this past week did not show the attack needed to make noise in the playoffs. Good team for sure though.

The Page vs CPA game was very competitive. Page looks pretty good to me. I was impressed with them. Their player going to TTU is very good and she is very fast. GC beating them is eye opening.

I havent seen HF but I have heard  very good things about them from folks. 

You never know about teams this time of year. Scores can be misleading with kids getting injured or being out for a variety of reasons. We have only had our core group of travel players together the first game of the year. In that game we lost four of them and werent  competitve in any of the following games. Now, all the players but one outside back has returned but we lost #19.  Would have been interesting to see how the CM and Smyrna games would have gone with a healthy #19 playing with a healthy team behind her.

Its just the reality of HS girls soccer that if you miss a few pieces you can go from good to not so good immediately. 

Edited by Playerscoach

So it seems the first part of your discussion pivots on districts 9-12. Here are my thoughts on those for post-season predictions:

District 9: White House, WH-Heritage, and Beech are the frontrunners. Macon Co. has a puncher's chance as well. They have enough attack to be dangerous. Two quality teams will get out of this district. There seems to be a vital importance to win this district to avoid Hume-Fogg in the region semi-finals. 

District 10: Hume-Fogg is the clear and convincing frontrunner. MLK looks to be a clear leader for 2nd place.

District 11: Wow!!! Possibly the deepest district in AA history. So tough! Page is so solid all over the field, Giles Co plays extremely hard and has enough talent to be dangerous, Nolensville has a talented Freshman class mixed with some girls who have a lot of high school playing experience, and Central has an outside chance, too (very well-coached team and sound defensively). My prediction is Nolensville and Page (either of which would be a frontrunner to win the state tournament). Whoever wins this district deserves the highest of kudos. 

District 12: Sycamore and Fairview will come out of this district. Sycamore has a solid attack that can be dangerous. Unfortunately, Sycamore will be playing in an extremely tough region semi-finals game, even if they win their district. The nature of the beast. 

With all this mid-state commentary aside, Knox Catholic is loaded. At this point in the year, they would have to be the favorites to win the whole thing. 

*Reiterating Playerscoach: a few injuries can turn all this stuff on its head. Good luck to all!

I agree with everything that has been said so far, and don't just end it there messi, because White House, WH-Heritage, Beech, Hume-Fogg, and MLK (2 of these) will have to play Nolensville, Page, Giles, or Central in the sub state rounds. So out of all of those teams, only 2 will make it to state. I would argue that you might have 4 or 5 of the best teams in the state bidding for 2 spots. What about any other teams East or West? Maybe Greenville or other teams? Once again, thanks for all of the posts in this message board. I love to hear about how teams are looking. BTW, playerscoach, I believe i saw that #19 played tonight for DCA against Clarksville Academy. Is this true, if so how did she look?

16 hours ago, knightsfan said:

I agree with everything that has been said so far, and don't just end it there messi, because White House, WH-Heritage, Beech, Hume-Fogg, and MLK (2 of these) will have to play Nolensville, Page, Giles, or Central in the sub state rounds. So out of all of those teams, only 2 will make it to state. I would argue that you might have 4 or 5 of the best teams in the state bidding for 2 spots. What about any other teams East or West? Maybe Greenville or other teams? Once again, thanks for all of the posts in this message board. I love to hear about how teams are looking. BTW, playerscoach, I believe i saw that #19 played tonight for DCA against Clarksville Academy. Is this true, if so how did she look?

I wish that we would move to a rotating regional match-up where every year different districts would match up in the Region games. It hurts for travel, but it could allow a much better representation of quality teams in the sub state and state levels. 

18 hours ago, knightsfan said:

I think you're spot on. #19 played in essentially a cast on her left foot and did fine. Shes slowed quit a bit but managed to hit a few bombs. :) CA man marked her the entire game with CBs bracketing. Was a challenging game.

Everyone is back for DCA but the Sr right back out for the season. Get #19 more rest and everyone playing together this last group of games and see how they do. 

Still think WHH, HF, GC, and Page are the class of Middle TN. 

Edited by Playerscoach

2 hours ago, MCT33 said:

I wish that we would move to a rotating regional match-up where every year different districts would match up in the Region games. It hurts for travel, but it could allow a much better representation of quality teams in the sub state and state levels. 

This would be very interesting, but It would have to depend on how they do it. Also, how would you then determine which regions play in substate. I think if you asked the players, they would be okay with going farther to possibly have a better chance to get to state. 

27 minutes ago, Playerscoach said:

I think you're spot on. #19 played in essentially a cast on her left foot and did fine. Shes slowed quit a bit but managed to hit a few bombs. :) CA man marked her the entire game with CBs bracketing. Was a challenging game.

Everyone is back for DCA but the Sr right back out for the season. Get #19 more rest and everyone playing together this last group of games and see how they do. 

Still think WHH, HF, GC, and Page are the class of Middle TN. 

We should really know how District 11 looks after Thursday. Page plays Nolensville, and that should be a great game. If Nolensville wins, they will probably have the #1 seed going into the tournament, especially since Page already has the loss to GC. Nolensville already beat GC in district play 5-1 earlier in the year. At that point #1 is Nolensville, and #2 seed would be GC. Page would be all the way down at #3.

That is great to hear about #19. I will definitely need to come see her play sometime this season. 

I would love to agree with you on the class of Middle TN, but I just don't want to knock out White House and Nolensville just yet.