District 8AA

pantherrules

57 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

UHS is young but they have talent.  Don’t know a lot about LA this year but for York to beat Clay County they have to be pretty good. Are any of the feeder school kids in Putnam County going over to Upperman instead of Cookeville?  

yep, it was interesting how that group of sopohmores ended up in baxter.   Lot of different rumors around that. But this is not a place to air dirty laundry. 

I certainly would have thought York would be the team to beat.  But after seeing LA play a couple times and looking at their scores, seems like the district may run through them.  The Sells kid is so talented. 

Anyone from Smith co know why they are so down?  Is it just a matter of talent has dried up? 

I also agree that Coach Sanders knows what he is doing.  It will take a couple years and everyone buying in probably but he will run a solid program given time. 

22 hours ago, Alumn89 said:

yep, it was interesting how that group of sopohmores ended up in baxter.   Lot of different rumors around that. But this is not a place to air dirty laundry. 

I certainly would have thought York would be the team to beat.  But after seeing LA play a couple times and looking at their scores, seems like the district may run through them.  The Sells kid is so talented. 

Anyone from Smith co know why they are so down?  Is it just a matter of talent has dried up? 

I also agree that Coach Sanders knows what he is doing.  It will take a couple years and everyone buying in probably but he will run a solid program given time. 

I’ll be honest with you if I had a son playing basketball in Putnam County I would not take him to Cookeville. Bray rarely gets his teams to the region finals/substate and the state tournament is never happening under him. Coach McWilliams is the better coach with the better program.  Why would you want to go to Cookeville and play knowing you’ll lose 1st round of the region 50% of the time?  Upperman plays a tougher schedule than Cookeville does and competes for a title every year.  To me it’s a no brainer. 

50 minutes ago, UCSportsFan said:

I’ll be honest with you if I had a son playing basketball in Putnam County I would not take him to Cookeville. Bray rarely gets his teams to the region finals/substate and the state tournament is never happening under him. Coach McWilliams is the better coach with the better program.  Why would you want to go to Cookeville and play knowing you’ll lose 1st round of the region 50% of the time?  Upperman plays a tougher schedule than Cookeville does and competes for a title every year.  To me it’s a no brainer. 

I disagree totally!! Upperman is having success because they are drawing the majority of the athletes to play with them out of the Putnam county area and they are playing a lower district. Uppermans AA district is definitely a tough one but it is definitely not AAA. If my kid played in Cookeville there would be no way that I would let them go to Upperman. The coaches are well known for being the biggest cry babies around!! 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2018 at 9:57 AM, UTRok said:

LA, York and UHS appear to be the top 3 teams in the district. LA hammered UHS at LA. York beat UHS at York in double OT. UHS beat a very athletic Alcoa team last week. Looks like YI and LA play 1/11 @ York. York is at Cumberland County tonight.

Congrats on Upperman for beating my Tornadoes.  They have a bright future and will compete this year and the next few. Gore will be a very good player by his senior year. Very disappointed in our coaches that game, combined with shooting 28% from the field. That's not going to win you many games but that's about what I expected this early in the year. Good luck and hope we see you again...

23 minutes ago, Springbrookrat said:

Congrats on Upperman for beating my Tornadoes.  They have a bright future and will compete this year and the next few. Gore will be a very good player by his senior year. Very disappointed in our coaches that game, combined with shooting 28% from the field. That's not going to win you many games but that's about what I expected this early in the year. Good luck and hope we see you again...

Yes not sure UHS would want to play Alcoa in a few weeks after they have more time together.

35 minutes ago, cattleman said:

I disagree totally!! Upperman is having success because they are drawing the majority of the athletes to play with them out of the Putnam county area and they are playing a lower district. Uppermans AA district is definitely a tough one but it is definitely not AAA. If my kid played in Cookeville there would be no way that I would let them go to Upperman. The coaches are well known for being the biggest cry babies around!! 

Why do think they are drawing the majority of the athletes? It has a lot to do with the coaches. What has Cookeville won in basketball ball? So yes there is a reason them choosing to go to Upperman. 

If I had to guess that is why the group from Prescott chose to go to Upperman. Better chance to play early and be on a better team.  Why does Cookeville and upperman not play? Cookeville plays Jackson county and Monterey. The way you feel about Upperman is the way we and others feel about Cookeville. 

10 minutes ago, UTRok said:

Why do think they are drawing the majority of the athletes? It has a lot to do with the coaches. What has Cookeville won in basketball ball? So yes there is a reason them choosing to go to Upperman. 

If I had to guess that is why the group from Prescott chose to go to Upperman. Better chance to play early and be on a better team.  Why does Cookeville and upperman not play? Cookeville plays Jackson county and Monterey. The way you feel about Upperman is the way we and others feel about Cookeville. 

But to say the program is better because they win more games with the best athletes out of a large area in a lower district is just wrong. Cookeville May play Monterey and Jackson but that is not who they have to go thru as a AAA!! You put the athletes back to their respective schools in their district and then see how good upperman is!! The best athletes can make any coach look better than they really are.  Please tell me how many of the top 8 kids on the boys basketball team are from the Baxter area excluding the coaches kid??? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cattleman said:

But to say the program is better because they win more games with the best athletes out of a large area in a lower district is just wrong. Cookeville May play Monterey and Jackson but that is not who they have to go thru as a AAA!! You put the athletes back to their respective schools in their district and then see how good upperman is!! The best athletes can make any coach look better than they really are.  Please tell me how many of the top 8 kids on the boys basketball team are from the Baxter area excluding the coaches kid??? 

There is no perspective school in Putman county. It's open and any 8th grader can go to any high school. So that theory holds no weight in Putman county. Not sure where they all live but I do think including the coaches son 3 starters live in Baxter. Why do you think they wanted to go to Upperman?

4 minutes ago, UTRok said:

There is no perspective school in Putman county. It's open and any 8th grader can go to any high school. So that theory holds no weight in Putman county. Not sure where they all live but I do think including the coaches son 3 starters live in Baxter. Why do you think they wanted to go to Upperman?

I understand that there is no districts for the county but if all the better athletes go to the same school you know that would definitely make a difference on how good they are.  Amazing that you think if those kids went to Cookeville high school that they wouldn’t be as good there. Best athletes of an entire county going to a AA school that should be classified AAA due to who they are drawing from is a given!! Clarkrange girls have had the same success for years. 

11 minutes ago, cattleman said:

I understand that there is no districts for the county but if all the better athletes go to the same school you know that would definitely make a difference on how good they are.  Amazing that you think if those kids went to Cookeville high school that they wouldn’t be as good there. Best athletes of an entire county going to a AA school that should be classified AAA due to who they are drawing from is a given!! Clarkrange girls have had the same success for years. 

So how long has Upperman been getting these top athletes? Is it just this class of sophomores? IMHO Cookeville has not been real good for a long time. A school of over 2000 and the top 5 in student body in the state. Do they really not have athletes walking the halls?

19 minutes ago, UTRok said:

So how long has Upperman been getting these top athletes? Is it just this class of sophomores? IMHO Cookeville has not been real good for a long time. A school of over 2000 and the top 5 in student body in the state. Do they really not have athletes walking the halls?

From what I’ve seen Upperman has been drawing these athletes for at least the last 8 to 10 years. I don’t know anything about the sophomore class you are referring to. Have a nice day!