District 8AA

pantherrules

1 hour ago, UTRok said:

Over the last three or four years most every team in 8AA has lost significant players and numbers to either graduation or transfer. Why do you think it effects some much harder than the others? 

Not to overstate the obvious, but over the last 4 years every 8AA TEAM has lost all of their players. Some schools are hurt because it is harder to find players in some counties more than others. Most UC counties have a population less than 25K except Putnam. I actually  find it hard to believe any could consistently  compete with UHS unless CHS builds a program. Macon, SMith,Cannon, Dekalb, Fentress, Overton, all have a population of less than 25K. 3 of them have 2 public high schools That need players. At 80K in Putnam and 3 schools the numbers can be overwhelming. H2O is in a big county but serves 4 now 5 publics. It won't explain away feeder systems, community importance, and tradition, but simple math plays a part. Oh yeah, and coaching stability and ability is vital to ATTRACT players from an even larger population area. That happens from time to time in UC basketball.

Edited by coachcorey
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, coachcorey said:

Not to overstate the obvious, but over the last 4 years every 8AA TEAM has lost all of their players. Some schools are hurt because it is harder to find players in some counties more than others. Most UC counties have a population less than 25K except Putnam. I actually  find it hard to believe any could consistently  compete with UHS unless CHS builds a program. Macon, SMith,Cannon, Dekalb, Fentress, Overton, all have a population of less than 25K. 3 of them have 2 public high schools That need players. At 80K in Putnam and 3 schools the numbers can be overwhelming. H2O is in a big county but serves 4 now 5 publics. It won't explain away feeder systems, community importance, and tradition, but simple math plays a part. Oh yeah, and coaching stability and ability is vital to ATTRACT players from an even larger population area. That happens from time to time in UC basketball.

I do not disagree with anything you have said. Do you consider Clarkrange girls and Clay county boys just an anomaly then? I would almost include Pickett county as well. Clay county about 8000 and Pickett around 5000 population.

14 hours ago, rabbitranch said:

Can anyone tell me how long it has been since neither LA team played in the district semifinals! I've followed them closely for 25 yrs. and can't remember a year when at least one of them was not in the Regional tournament.

I can’t remember either no one outside of the smith co boys could of possibly imagined being up 22 on Livingston at one point shoot they probably didn’t believe it could happen either Sells just had a bad night 

1 hour ago, Dexter10 said:

I can’t remember either no one outside of the smith co boys could of possibly imagined being up 22 on Livingston at one point shoot they probably didn’t believe it could happen either Sells just had a bad night 

I think Sells still had about 26 pts...I would´nt call that a bad night

@DCRealist @Iceman2000 let’s look at some DC history starting with the last time they made the region tourney. 

2012-2013: 30-7, (11-1 in district, T1) lost district championship to LA, lost region championship to LA, lost in sub state to Howard. 
2013-2014: 16-14, (4-10 in district, 6th) lost to Cannon in district tourney.

2014-2015: 19-15, (3-11 in district, 7th) lost to Macon first round of district tourney.  side note... 4 wins against Boyd Christian and got 5 more wins against home schools during HOF games, 4 games in one day  

2015-2016: 13-20, (1-14 in district, 8th) lost to Cannon in first round of district tourney. 5-0 after HOF week playing 3 homeschools in one day. 
2016-2017: 7-20, (3-11 in district, 7th) lost to Smith County first round district tourney. 
2017-2018: 13-14, (6-8 in district, 6th) lost to Watertown first round district tourney. 
2018-2019: 6-23, (4-10 in district, 7th) lost to Upperman in district quarterfinals. 
2019-2020: 7-21, (3-11 in district, 7th). 

Just my opinion but you haven’t hit an all time low. Finishing 1-13 in district and 8th to me would be all time low. You have not been good for a long time. Looking at your schedule, it looks like they need to take the AAA’s off and try to get some region opponents or just more competitive teams but I wouldn’t schedule a bunch of home schools either. 

Having an overall winning record is good but does it matter if you still finish 3-11 and at the bottom of the district and lose in first round? 

Trying to pin it all on one guy seems a little unfair. You guys act as if Sanders walked into a loaded team and completely botched it.  If in a year or two they haven’t done any better then I would say you could look at making a change. It is still high school basketball and the coaches have to work with the hand they are dealt. Yes they have to develop the players but players have to develop themselves also and buy in. Which can be hard when you have parents coaching from the stands... 

• Like 1

For anyone who can't make it to Cookeville Tuesday night for the District 8-AA Tournament Championship & Consolation games, DTC Sports will be streaming both games LIVE from Hooper-Eblen Center. Coverage will begin at approximately 5:45 p.m. You can watch the games free of charge at https://livestream.com/DTC3/District8AATournamentGirls. The webstream is provided as a courtesy of DTC Communications. DTC Sports will also live stream the girls' championship & consolation games on Monday night. 

• Like 1