District 8AA

pantherrules

3 minutes ago, coachcorey said:

Yeah, 7AA is done now, I would think. Although YAI can be sketchy on any given night.

Grundy doesn’t have much height but they shoot a lot of 3’s like 3/4 of their shots are 3 pointers. They can not play a lick of Defense though and are prone to lose their cool and play out of control.

Cumberland would need a lot of shots to fall to win.

12 hours ago, Iceman2000 said:

Moonshiner do you have a kid that plays. Some of or most of your assessments are way off. 

No. I do not have any ties to DC highschool whatsoever, so basically what I offer is an unbias opinion. It's just the nearest place to me  to watch BB, ( Nothing to do in cold-dark-wet months) I do know a few of the parents, I only gave an opinion of what I see and think. I notice you said my assessments are way off, but yet, you offer none yourself.  So I'll pose the question to you, are you close to a player(s), a disgruntled player,  ex player?     

12 hours ago, Moonshiner said:

No. I do not have any ties to DC highschool whatsoever, so basically what I offer is an unbias opinion. It's just the nearest place to me  to watch BB, ( Nothing to do in cold-dark-wet months) I do know a few of the parents, I only gave an opinion of what I see and think. I notice you said my assessments are way off, but yet, you offer none yourself.  So I'll pose the question to you, are you close to a player(s), a disgruntled player,  ex player?     

Lived here my whole life. Nothing more than what you think and I think are 2 totally different assessments.  I think we are going backwards. Hope things can turnaround soon. Nothing make me happier than to see the Tigers start winning.  At least I can go watch the Tigerettes tomorrow night. 

14 hours ago, Iceman2000 said:

Lived here my whole life. Nothing more than what you think and I think are 2 totally different assessments.  I think we are going backwards. Hope things can turnaround soon. Nothing make me happier than to see the Tigers start winning.  At least I can go watch the Tigerettes tomorrow night. 

I don't have a horse in the race, but looking at the below stats, if true,  DC has been going backwards for some time. There are more Ollies walking through the doors of DC than Jimmy Chitwoods. There was a reason the previous coach left, and he was a HOMETOWN guy . SO, my though would be , take what you have, and improve on their weakest skills.  That's about all you can do.

SO , I guess I agree with the Moon man, for what that's worth.

2013-2014: 16-14, (4-10 in district, 6th) lost to Cannon in district tourney.

2014-2015: 19-15, (3-11 in district, 7th) lost to Macon first round of district tourney side note... 4 wins against Boyd Christian and got 5 more wins against home schools during HOF games, 4 games in one day  

2015-2016: 13-20, (1-14 in district, 8th) lost to Cannon in first round of district tourney. 5-0 after HOF week playing 3 homeschools in one day. 
2016-2017: 7-20, (3-11 in district, 7th) lost to Smith County first round district tourney. 
2017-2018: 13-14, (6-8 in district, 6th) lost to Watertown first round district tourney
2018-2019: 6-23, (4-10 in district, 7th) lost to Upperman in district quarterfinals
2019-2020: 7-21, (3-11 in district, 7th). 

Having an overall winning record is good but does it matter if you still finish 3-11 and at the bottom of the district and lose in first round? 

Edited by Reynard

1 hour ago, Reynard said:

I don't have a horse in the race, but looking below,  DC has been going backwards for some time. There are more Ollies walking through the doors than Jimmy Chitwoods. There was a reason the previous coach left, and he was a HOMETOWN guy . SO, my though would be , take what you have, and improve on their weakest skills.  

SO , I guess I agree with the Moon man.

2013-2014: 16-14, (4-10 in district, 6th) lost to Cannon in district tourney.

2014-2015: 19-15, (3-11 in district, 7th) lost to Macon first round of district tourney side note... 4 wins against Boyd Christian and got 5 more wins against home schools during HOF games, 4 games in one day  

2015-2016: 13-20, (1-14 in district, 8th) lost to Cannon in first round of district tourney. 5-0 after HOF week playing 3 homeschools in one day. 
2016-2017: 7-20, (3-11 in district, 7th) lost to Smith County first round district tourney. 
2017-2018: 13-14, (6-8 in district, 6th) lost to Watertown first round district tourney
2018-2019: 6-23, (4-10 in district, 7th) lost to Upperman in district quarterfinals
2019-2020: 7-21, (3-11 in district, 7th). 

Having an overall winning record is good but does it matter if you still finish 3-11 and at the bottom of the district and lose in first round? 

We are past the era of schedule padding. I think a lot of that was Cope. Glad to see him having success in Coffee, though. But I think the district slate was draining for him here at DC. 

As for the present, I don’t think we are on some sort of unstoppable downhill slide. Just part of being at a school where basketball is third or fourth priority behind baseball, football, maybe even soccer. Kids are just interested in other sports right now. Maybe this young group can change that culture. 

16 minutes ago, dctiger said:

We are past the era of schedule padding. I think a lot of that was Cope. Glad to see him having success in Coffee, though. But I think the district slate was draining for him here at DC. 

As for the present, I don’t think we are on some sort of unstoppable downhill slide. Just part of being at a school where basketball is third or fourth priority behind baseball, football, maybe even soccer. Kids are just interested in other sports right now. Maybe this young group can change that culture. 

This group only plays basketball except the Jones kid (football) Young (baseball). All the rest basketball only, the culture wont change until they get a chip on their shoulder and look forward to the games against Baxter instead of dreading them.  Complaining about the coach or chirpin in someones ear won't get it done.  I believe they've got the talkin part down.  To me mindset is gonna be biggest factor.  I'll agree their district schedule is solid but its no different than it has been for a while with the exception of H2O town, I'd disagree that its 3rd or 4th priority, baseball team has only 16 kids on it, football ranges anywhere from 35-50 (50 being a high year).  Just my humble opinion, talent is lacking and that's not going to improve without hard work, but your right the culture definitely needs to change.  

6 hours ago, fritos4dayss said:

This group only plays basketball except the Jones kid (football) Young (baseball). All the rest basketball only, the culture wont change until they get a chip on their shoulder and look forward to the games against Baxter instead of dreading them.  Complaining about the coach or chirpin in someones ear won't get it done.  I believe they've got the talkin part down.  To me mindset is gonna be biggest factor.  I'll agree their district schedule is solid but its no different than it has been for a while with the exception of H2O town, I'd disagree that its 3rd or 4th priority, baseball team has only 16 kids on it, football ranges anywhere from 35-50 (50 being a high year).  Just my humble opinion, talent is lacking and that's not going to improve without hard work, but your right the culture definitely needs to change.  

I’m not talking sheer numbers here, or about who is on the team playing multiple sports. We’ve got kids focusing on other sports because they want to, or because they’re only wanting to play two. So basketball is the one who gets the axe. Not complaining, just the way it is. Take Isaac Knowles for example. He was a really good basketball player the few times I got to watch him in middle school. But he’s chosen to focus on football and baseball. 

Long story short, kids who are good enough to make a big impact on this team are choosing other sports. Just part of it. 

I will say that I personally think we have two good coaches. Just need to let Sanders do his thing and not let people interfere.