District 8AA

pantherrules

I attended this game. I'm not from UHS or York. I haven't watched either team this year. What I saw was a York team come in and make some difficult shots in the first half. If they miss those shots, UHS would have won going away because some of the shot selection of York's shots were questionable. But when you hit shots, you look good and York hit those and they got favorable bounces off the rims.

Having said that.....UHS hand checks and bumps from the backside a lot. When a player is out of position, those bumps will get called every time. I am not surprised that UHS got so many fouls called against them, they are "handsy." It didn't help that UHS coach was complaining about so many calls. In fact, one of the refs gave him a warning due to being outside of the coaches box. I can't say I blame the ref in that case.

The ref (yes, one ref) set the tone from the start of this game. UHS didn't adjust and York made shots.

UHS appears to be very deep, but credit York for making big shots.

Perhaps there were calls that went for York, but there appeared to be a few that went for UHS. But, it is not a good look to complain about every other foul (from players and coaches). Because, I can almost guarantee it will not help officiating. Sure, I would be in favor to let the officials know that was a terrible call, but not all the time. In the end, the latter makes one look like a complainer.

Edited by CASC95
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, 8AAalltheway said:

I didn't go to the game last night, but I think poor officiating is something that teams have to deal with. Unfortunately, it's just part of the game, like bad turnovers or bad a shooting night. I would argue that Upperman is in a better position than most teams to withstand foul trouble. They have more depth than any other team in 8AA. Did anyone foul out? Also, UHS hasn't been in very many close games this year which may have hurt them down the stretch 

I completely agree that good teams should be able to overcome poor officiating, but this wasn't just poor officiating. Poor officiating misses calls both ways, but at the end of the game the total foul count and FTA for each team is relatively close. This was blatantly obvious biased officiating. We're talking about a +13 advantage in overall foul calls (24-11) in favor of York for the game, which resulted in probably a +20 in FTA for York for the game. If they shoot 70%, that's basically spotting them 14 points. They won by 5! Also, York was in the bonus with about 6 minutes to go in the first half. They got to the double bonus both halves and UHS never even got the bonus either half. End of game situation when UHS was fouling, York is getting 2 shots every time and they missed the first at least 3 times and then made the second.

Rush fouled out at the end, but the bigger issue in that regard was the few players that got into foul trouble in the 1st half that limited the rotation and created some bad defensive matchups for UHS and somewhat negated the UHS depth, which as you've said is a strength for them.

And again, the coach's box warning against the UHS coach was blatant. I'm not sure if the UHS bench insulted the officials or the crowd complaining affected them or like I said they have some desire to help region 3 get the perceived better matchup. I have no idea the reason, but this game was ultimately decided by the officiating crew and not the kids playing the game.

1 hour ago, CASC95 said:

I attended this game. I'm not from UHS or York. I haven't watched either team this year. What I saw was a York team come in and make some difficult shots in the first half. If they miss those shots, UHS would have won going away because some of the shot selection of York's shots were questionable. But when you hit shots, you look good and York hit those and they got favorable bounces off the rims.

Having said that.....UHS hand checks and bumps from the backside a lot. When a player is out of position, those bumps will get called every time. I am not surprised that UHS got so many fouls called against them, they are "handsy." It didn't help that UHS coach was complaining about so many calls. In fact, one of the refs gave him a warning due to being outside of the coaches box. I can't say I blame the ref in that case.

The ref (yes, one ref) set the tone from the start of this game. UHS didn't adjust and York made shots.

UHS appears to be very deep, but credit York for making big shots.

Perhaps there were calls that went for York, but there appeared to be a few that went for UHS. But, it is not a good look to complain about every other foul (from players and coaches). Because, I can almost guarantee it will not help officiating. Sure, I would be in favor to let the officials know that was a terrible call, but not all the time. In the end, the latter makes one look like a complainer.

There's certainly some validity to what you've stated, but typically an official might make a statement call or 2 during the course of a game in reaction to complaining or what have you. With the discrepancy as wide as I've explained that occured in the game last night, there certainly seems to be much more intention there and ultimately it did decide the game. There were certainly plenty of bumps by York that went uncalled. In fact, I'm not sure the one official that made so many touch fouls against UHS and gave the coach's box warning ever made a call against York. The few calls that went in favor of UHS were made by 1 of the other 2 officials, but they didn't make a fraction of the calls the one official made overall. There's just simply no way to justify a total foul count discrepancy that wide (24-11). York simply did not play that much cleaner than UHS. The officials created an insurmountable advantage in favor of York with such a wide discrepancy in the sheer number of fouls called and FTA allowed.

4 minutes ago, LesterJWayne said:

There's certainly some validity to what you've stated, but typically an official might make a statement call or 2 during the course of a game in reaction to complaining or what have you. With the discrepancy as wide as I've explained that occured in the game last night, there certainly seems to be much more intention there and ultimately it did decide the game. There were certainly plenty of bumps by York that went uncalled. In fact, I'm not sure the one official that made so many touch fouls against UHS and gave the coach's box warning ever made a call against York. The few calls that went in favor of UHS were made by 1 of the other 2 officials, but they didn't make a fraction of the calls the one official made overall. There's just simply no way to justify a total foul count discrepancy that wide (24-11). York simply did not play that much cleaner than UHS. The officials created an insurmountable advantage in favor of York with such a wide discrepancy in the sheer number of fouls called and FTA allowed.

I can't remember an UHS loss in a big game that the officials were not blamed for the loss. I've followed 8AA for many years and I can assure you that the UHS teams have had more than their share of questionable calls during the  games that I have watched, with some of these calls or non calls possibly contributing to a UHS win.   Sometimes 'you get the bear' and sometimes 'the bear gets you'!

That game is over. Let's look ahead to supporting both 8AA teams when thy play in the sectional!

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, LesterJWayne said:

I'd have to watch the replay and see who called what. I do know that the ref that call the warning also called a 5-sec call in 3 seconds at the end of the game. At least it seemed very short time. That was for UHS.

In any event, if I were coaching UHS, this would give me the fuel to get my team to win sub-state and go to the state tournament. Winning is in the mind first..one must press forward or these same types of thoughts creep in during a 1pt game in the 4th quarter..good luck to UHS.

There a few who are trying to make the argument that somehow the refs were purposely favoring York. I know several refs and trust me, they could care less who wins or loses. When you start blaming refs, then you're excusing bad play. What were the shooting percentages for both teams? Sounds like york deserves credit for beating a good team 

• Upvote 2