District 8AA

pantherrules

DeKalb folks, I am confused about this. I was at the DC  - Van Buren game and they came out like a house of fire. Since then have not come close to putting up 80 pts let alone 100. Are they not playing as hard or was that game a fluke. I had already warned my Watertown folks about DeKalb and now I am not sure they will follow up on my words.

5 hours ago, DCRealist said:

A team typically takes on the personality of its coach. One thing Martin definitely brought was an intensity level. They and the coach have lacked that so far.

I agree on too many playing and substitution patterns. It definitely would be easier to get in a flow with 7-8 in a rotation instead of 10. Now that districts are here hopefully we will see the player experimentation end. 

Not sure I completely agree with the "takes on the personality of the coach" part. Maybe some, but all kids are different and you have to find out what pushes their buttons... a blanket approach ( one way or the other) will sometimes hurt more than it helps. Most coaches want all out effort, every minute on the court. I think you saw a little of that against Van Buren.  Warren CO. and White Co. were tough match ups......but if the kids had played all out, White Co. was winnable.  Same with Jackson Co.. Jackson Co. was physical and pushed #12 and others around. I think they got frustrated. A few bad calls hurt DC too.  In the end....they settled down and played with a little intensity in the 2nd half and cut it from 20 to within 6-7.  Again had they started like that, .that game was very winnable. And the last 3 were on the road. Back on the road Friday at  York which by all reports is a very good team.......

2 hours ago, Moonshiner said:

Not sure I completely agree with the "takes on the personality of the coach" part. Maybe some, but all kids are different and you have to find out what pushes their buttons... a blanket approach ( one way or the other) will sometimes hurt more than it helps. Most coaches want all out effort, every minute on the court. I think you saw a little of that against Van Buren.  Warren CO. and White Co. were tough match ups......but if the kids had played all out, White Co. was winnable.  Same with Jackson Co.. Jackson Co. was physical and pushed #12 and others around. I think they got frustrated. A few bad calls hurt DC too.  In the end....they settled down and played with a little intensity in the 2nd half and cut it from 20 to within 6-7.  Again had they started like that, .that game was very winnable. And the last 3 were on the road. Back on the road Friday at  York which by all reports is a very good team.......

It is true all kids are different. I think one of the strengths of the new coach is his steady demeanor. A steady hand could benefit a team over the course of the season not get too down when things don't go their way. What it has not done yet is motivate kids to play with passion and max effort from opening tip to final buzzer. My point was Martin's fire was infectious with the kids and he demanded that they play with urgency. Fire can still come if Sanders presses the right buttons.

Don't get me wrong. I see enough ability to compete with most if not all teams in the district once completely healthy if the right buttons are pressed. We are bigger than last year, will have as much shooting once Poss is back, and if playing under control should be better handling pressure. (That was not a strength last year either). I also see the ability to lose to just about anyone if our turnover rate does not improve and we continue to look lost defensively. 

I think they will start to find their identity as a team. At least I hope they do. Football season was painful. I need something to get excited about.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, DCRealist said:

DC 1-4..... They look awful and asleep most games in a zone press and 2-3 in half court. They have been weak with the ball at every position but the point guard play has been atrocious with a negative assist to turnover ratio. Way too many turnovers without creating enough easy looks for others. Generally the team seems undisciplined on both ends of the floor, they force the ball into the post without the post effectively sealing, lack movement away from the ball, poor screening, bad reads on cuts, etc.

The good news is that they can't play much worse and should have won 2 of the 4 they lost. Once Poss is back, they should have a pretty balanced approach offensively with 4 players that can score in double digits. Hopefully we shift to a pressure man defense soon. That will improve our energy level, create a few more turnovers and allow better match-ups on the glass to box out. I think they can finish in the top 3 with some changes in style and intensity or in the bottom 3 without.

Let me ask....have you seen or know anything about the kids in Jr. High that coming up?? And have you seen any JV games.    I think DC has 6-7 Seniors and was wondering what the future might hold.........

23 hours ago, Moonshiner said:

Let me ask....have you seen or know anything about the kids in Jr. High that coming up?? And have you seen any JV games.    I think DC has 6-7 Seniors and was wondering what the future might hold.........

I have not seen any of the Jr. High kids play. DC does lose a lot this year. I think of the 8 players receiving the most minutes currently 5 are Seniors and that is before Poss comes back. They will be very young next year (particularly in the back court). They could play a really big line up if some of the Sophomores and Juniors develop. I believe there are 4 kids that will be back 6'4" or taller. While I don't know about the middle school kids in basketball the football team was great this year and so my guess is that athletically things should improve a couple years from now.