District 8AA

pantherrules

13 hours ago, UTRok said:

Watertown

LA

Cannon

Upperman but this is really hard pick for me. I think York will take away the inside game but that is such a small part of UHS game. My question is can YI defend 3 perimeter shooters on the floor at the same time? How many of YI's big boys will be on the floor at the same time? If UHS moves the ball well and shoots well they win. They shot well vs SC on Tuesday but YI is a better team.

York has three boys who can cover the perimeter, one post who can play the inside or the perimeter,  and two other post to cover the inside. Tonight shall be an good game and an interesting night! 

9 hours ago, Iceman2000 said:

Big win for York. Never saw Upperman starting district season with 2 losses, but have probably played the 2 next best teams. 1-3 will be a battle. LA, York and Upperman. 

What's everyone's thoughts on Dekalb,  cant believe they blew the game. Team may not win many. Can't wait till Poss comes back. 

It looks like DC has no true ball handlers. Because of that they are a turnover machine, Pressure on the ball causes huge problems, which is maddening because at time you see flashes of good BB . Without the  stupid passes and unforced turnovers they would have 3 wins, Someone mentioned earlier about the substitution/ rotation of so many, I watched last night and really I didn't see it made any difference. Same results whoever is on the floor.  

5 hours ago, Iceman2000 said:

Moonshiner what do you think will or can turn things around. We've got Cannon on Tue, just what the doctor ordered.  We don't beat them we won't win many.  

I think Poss will help. Maybe Martin seen this coming and stepped down, I don't know.  But it's almost like some of these haven't developed, or been coached on basics like passing and ball handling, They see a little pressure and go into panic mode, If they cut turnovers in halve they can win.

Sanders got here right before camp this summer and then had  them 2 weeks before the season started so I'm thinking there is a little learning curve to what he wants and expects too. Sometimes 1 or 2 seems lost or out of place and all it takes is 1 not doing what they are supposed to do to blow the possession up.  I hear that the JV is getting plenty of work this year and that will be beneficial in the long run too. I haven't seen them yet but I've been told they are a little small but will get after it and play well together.

So, I think things will get better, but I think the best we can hope for is 4th place if everything falls right. Cannon, and I think SC and MC are winnable too, but not if we continue to have as many turnovers as we do points. 

Just like last year it will take at least the first half of the district season to figure out what is going on and who will come out on top. I was at the LA & UHS game LA shot and played light out. Several LA fans told me that was the best game LA had play so far. Can they maintain that level of play? I saw the first half of the YI & UHS game and listened to the rest on the radio. YI shot it very well and didn't score a lot in the post. Which I thought was odd with the size they have. 10 looks to be a very solid player for YI. After having multiple double digit leads UHS came back to go to double OT. The key for UHS is not to lose any district games they shouldn't lose. All teams will need to stay healthy for the long haul. 1-3 will be tight.

On 12/9/2018 at 12:19 AM, Moonshiner said:

I think Poss will help. Maybe Martin seen this coming and stepped down, I don't know.  But it's almost like some of these haven't developed, or been coached on basics like passing and ball handling, They see a little pressure and go into panic mode, If they cut turnovers in halve they can win.

Sanders got here right before camp this summer and then had  them 2 weeks before the season started so I'm thinking there is a little learning curve to what he wants and expects too. Sometimes 1 or 2 seems lost or out of place and all it takes is 1 not doing what they are supposed to do to blow the possession up.  I hear that the JV is getting plenty of work this year and that will be beneficial in the long run too. I haven't seen them yet but I've been told they are a little small but will get after it and play well together.

So, I think things will get better, but I think the best we can hope for is 4th place if everything falls right. Cannon, and I think SC and MC are winnable too, but not if we continue to have as many turnovers as we do points. 

Poss coming back will be a huge boost to the team. Only kids returning that played any last year were Norris,  Atkins, Cook and Poss. All those other seniors on the roster never played, so no experience.  Have no idea why Martin left, but wasn't a bad nucleus left for Coach Sanders.  He will turn it around, i have no doubt. Got to win tomorrow night. Must win. I do believe the coaches are complete opposites so sometimes that takes an adjustment.  Sanders has had plenty of time to implement his system,  coaches get the whole month of July to practice along with team camps in June.  Now when Coach Fish got hired for the girls job he didn't get the job till the beginning of school starting.  Oh well, Sanders has some talented underclassmen that i look forward to watching. He will continue to grow and mold these young. Future is bright with talent and coaching in Dekalb.  

Iceman2000,

I dont know what rules you are thinking about but a coach at a TSSAA school gets 15 days in June before the Dead period and then all you can have after the dead period is open facilities until school starts. 

When school starts a coaching staff can work with 3 players  a day and that is all the coaching that can be done until the season kicks off. Coaches do not legally get to caoch their team in the month of July! If that is happening at your school you best be careful about it cause that is a serious violation. 

3 hours ago, captnoname said:

Iceman2000,

I dont know what rules you are thinking about but a coach at a TSSAA school gets 15 days in June before the Dead period and then all you can have after the dead period is open facilities until school starts. 

When school starts a coaching staff can work with 3 players  a day and that is all the coaching that can be done until the season kicks off. Coaches do not legally get to caoch their team in the month of July! If that is happening at your school you best be careful about it cause that is a serious violation. 

I thought that was the case. Sanders came in right before camp and didn't have time to get his system in place and figure out what he has to work with, then has 2 weeks with the kids  before the season starts. Kinda puts the coaches in a bind right out the gate. 

Dekalb

York

LA

Upperman