District 8AA

pantherrules

Alcoa comes to Baxter Friday to take on the Bees.  Should be an interesting game. We played our best game of the year the game before we got our football players back. Kids are still trying to gel and getting to know their roles on this team. Once this happens we should be pretty good. I’ve watched the travel team (Magic) you guys had about 3 or 4 times this year. Some pretty good players on that team and I expect a good game. Do I need to get there early or is there plenty of seating typically? 

Edited by Springbrookrat

15 hours ago, Iceman2000 said:

Wow, is all i can say about tonight's performance by Dekalb.  May have hit an all time low tonight.  Anybody else have an opinion about tonight.  10 points at half, just unbelievable.  Oh well, move on to the next game. 

Ten points in a half is right pitiful. When you ain't tryin to get nothin in transition, have no ball security, don't create no looks with screening and off ball motion in the half court, then shoot like you got the squirts in church that is the result. 

Momma said "if yousens ain't got nuttin nice to say just say nuttin at all." Daddy said, "hush woman, sometimes folks need to hear da truth"... Kids, always listen to yo daddy, you get less whippins that way.

After 9 games, it's clear as mud what the kids are being taught. They often look as confused as a fart in a fan factory. Substitution patterns are crazy. Playing 10-12 kids stops anyone from getting in a flow. How they gonna learn how to play with each other when 5 are only on the court for two minutes at a time? This ain't junior pro. Everybody with snot in their nose don't have to play a quarter. Play 7-8 kids max. 

Only got three regular starters back from last year but four played real minutes because Cook was quick off the bench and even started a few. Poss hasn't played yet. Why have the other two returning guards changed positions? If it ain't broke don't fix it; (but now that it is shattered) time to put it back the way it was with the 2 & 3 sliding to the 1 & 2. Norris needs to be back at point and that can't happen soon enough. In interviews, Sanders says he wants to play fast but we look like a herd of turtles looking for a set play after every rebound. 

Seven months to identify/develop your core players and put in a new system is plenty. Heck, entire houses are built faster than that. Set plays ain't a system. Learn 3 or 4 perfectly. Call 'em to stop big Mo or when time is out but don't let the defense always get set. The kids from last year don't look comfortable but worse they don't play as hard or look like they have fun playing for the new coach. That is a major problem. Progression is not dictated by talent. Players should know their role. They don't. When your role is defined, players can be held honest, instructed with specifics and grow. The girl's team runs an effective read/react motion. They get good looks and layups regularly. Different players clearly have different responsibilities. They are gettin it. You can see them growing collectively. Momma always said if you don't know the answer borrow one from a neighbor. That got me a B in chemistry and I couldn't tell you a single thang about that mess. Works in sports too.

Defensively, AAU teams are better structured. It looks like we play soft gap man or a spread zone inviting dribble drives with little help no matter what defense we are in. Defense is simple but hard work. Understand about 5 rules and bust yo tail. Seems like we a bunch of lazy rule breakers or the rules have never been taught. Good high school team defense will lead to a contested shot or turnover in 25 seconds or less. Cannon held the ball every possession for 35-45 seconds or until they had a good look because we rested away from the ball without contesting passing lanes. A team of one eyed, club footed, midgets could score if they always have a relief valve and can pass the rock around until they get what they want. Pressure man may not be the style Sanders wants to play and that is fine; but... we have a couple quick guards and a couple rim protectors. He needs to find a style that works with that personnel. 

Bottom line is we gotta get mo shots with betta looks. They gotta get less shots on tougher looks. The girls are winning possession count and thus games. The boys aren't. Tough to win any other way.

I was told the coach just had his first baby. Maybe it was a difficult pregnancy and that has been a distraction for him since he got here. By several accounts I hear he is a stand up feller. I don't want to make excuses for him because that never helped nobody. This is probably the most talent we will have for the next couple years and so it's time to quit the piddlin, put on the big boy britches and get to work. Otherwise, we gonna be in for a long multi-year miserable ride. Poss hopefully comes back next week adding talent but lack of progression is the problem.

How is that for thoughts on the game?

Need Less of This First Coaching Image and More of the Second

giphy.gif

AND MUCH MUCH MORE OF THIS

giphy.gif

17 minutes ago, cantsaythatnow said:

Ten points in a half is right pitiful. When you ain't tryin to get nothin in transition, have no ball security, don't create no looks with screening and off ball motion in the half court, then shoot like you got the squirts in church that is the result. 

Momma said "if yousens ain't got nuttin nice to say just say nuttin at all." Daddy said, "hush woman, sometimes folks need to hear da truth"... Kids, always listen to yo daddy, you get less whippins that way.

After 9 games, it's clear as mud what the kids are being taught. They often look as confused as a fart in a fan factory. Substitution patterns are crazy. Playing 10-12 kids stops anyone from getting in a flow. How they gonna learn how to play with each other when 5 are only on the court for two minutes at a time? This ain't junior pro. Everybody with snot in their nose don't have to play a quarter. Play 7-8 kids max. 

Only got three regular starters back from last year but four played real minutes because Cook was quick off the bench and even started a few. Poss hasn't played yet. Why have the other two returning guards changed positions? If it ain't broke don't fix it; (but now that it is shattered) time to put it back the way it was with the 2 & 3 sliding to the 1 & 2. Norris needs to be back at point and that can't happen soon enough. In interviews, Sanders says he wants to play fast but we look like a herd of turtles looking for a set play after every rebound. 

Seven months to identify/develop your core players and put in a new system is plenty. Heck, entire houses are built faster than that. Set plays ain't a system. Learn 3 or 4 perfectly. Call 'em to stop big Mo or when time is out but don't let the defense always get set. The kids from last year don't look comfortable but worse they don't play as hard or look like they have fun playing for the new coach. That is a major problem. Progression is not dictated by talent. Players should know their role. They don't. When your role is defined, players can be held honest, instructed with specifics and grow. The girl's team runs an effective read/react motion. They get good looks and layups regularly. Different players clearly have different responsibilities. They are gettin it. You can see them growing collectively. Momma always said if you don't know the answer borrow one from a neighbor. That got me a B in chemistry and I couldn't tell you a single thang about that mess. Works in sports too.

Defensively, AAU teams are better structured. It looks like we play soft gap man or a spread zone inviting dribble drives with little help no matter what defense we are in. Defense is simple but hard work. Understand about 5 rules and bust yo tail. Seems like we a bunch of lazy rule breakers or the rules have never been taught. Good high school team defense will lead to a contested shot or turnover in 25 seconds or less. Cannon held the ball every possession for 35-45 seconds or until they had a good look because we rested away from the ball without contesting passing lanes. A team of one eyed, club footed, midgets could score if they always have a relief valve and can pass the rock around until they get what they want. Pressure man may not be the style Sanders wants to play and that is fine; but... we have a couple quick guards and a couple rim protectors. He needs to find a style that works with that personnel. 

Bottom line is we gotta get mo shots with betta looks. They gotta get less shots on tougher looks. The girls are winning possession count and thus games. The boys aren't. Tough to win any other way.

I was told the coach just had his first baby. Maybe it was a difficult pregnancy and that has been a distraction for him since he got here. By several accounts I hear he is a stand up feller. I don't want to make excuses for him because that never helped nobody. This is probably the most talent we will have for the next couple years and so it's time to quit the piddlin, put on the big boy britches and get to work. Otherwise, we gonna be in for a long multi-year miserable ride. Poss hopefully comes back next week adding talent but lack of progression is the problem.

How is that for thoughts on the game?

Need Less of This First Coaching Image and More of the Second

giphy.gif

AND MUCH MUCH MORE OF THIS

giphy.gif

That is about well said as one could say. 

3 hours ago, Springbrookrat said:

Alcoa comes to Baxter Friday to take on the Bees.  Should be an interesting game. We played our best game of the year the game before we got our football players back. Kids are still trying to gel and getting to know their roles on this team. Once this happens we should be pretty good. I’ve watched the travel team (Magic) you guys had about 3 or 4 times this year. Some pretty good players on that team and I expect a good game. Do I need to get there early or is there plenty of seating typically? 

Seating will not be an issue arrive when you want to. Visitors side usually wide open and home side has yet to be close to capacity. 

Just as an outside observer, comparing the boys to the girls at Dekalb is a strange argument.  Dekalb boys are limited in talent in my opinion, from what saw.  Boys basketball is not comparable to girls.  You have 2-3 good  players in girls basketball you are above average and usually pretty dang good..... In boys that's an equation for a 10-20 season, if you're lucky.

Perimeter shooting- mediocre at best.

Dribble penetration- below average.

Lock down defenders- few & far  between

Not trying to be overly critical, but if anybody in Smithville thought this was a top half of the district team before the season started they weren't being honest.

They are were most of the people outside of Smithville thought they'd be.

Talent is not there right now.  Those fingers need to be pointed at the elementary/middle school boys coaches in my opinion..... Not the guy who has had the HS job since early summer.

Talent is developed young these days!

1 hour ago, tnhoosier said:

Just as an outside observer, comparing the boys to the girls at Dekalb is a strange argument.  Dekalb boys are limited in talent in my opinion, from what saw.  Boys basketball is not comparable to girls.  You have 2-3 good  players in girls basketball you are above average and usually pretty dang good..... In boys that's an equation for a 10-20 season, if you're lucky.

Not trying to be overly critical, but if anybody in Smithville thought this was a top half of the district team before the season started they weren't being honest.

Talent is not there right now.  Those fingers need to be pointed at the elementary/middle school boys coaches in my opinion..... Not the guy who has had the HS job since early summer.

Tnhoosier i agree with some of your assessment.  Though the effort and discipline or lack of, no strategy,  numerous substitutions and strategy in end of game situations fall back on the Coach. Parents in the stands last night hit a all time high. This bunch is better than what they are showing,  now next year will be tougher on Sanders. First year i can recall the Middle school having a winning season. So maybe that helps High school down the road. I agree Dekalb has suffered in that area.  Hopefully things can turnaround this year and we can get a little Confidence.  Didn't expect to see a 20 win season,  but did expect our boys to put up a better fight. Oh well, time to get back on track Fri. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tnhoosier said:

I tend to agree with ya.  It looked to me like they played soft or scared or both, Missed lay ups and shying away from contact and shooting fad aways  aint on coaching at this point. I'm not a BB coach, but I have coached other ball,  If the kids aint doing what they are told to do and not playing with effort on both ends of the floor, or keeps listening to dad in the stands, he has to make a change , If he don't he's not much of a coach.  DC was picked in the lower half of the district even with 4 -5 returning players for some reason.     

8 hours ago, Moonshiner said:

I tend to agree with ya.  It looked to me like they played soft or scared or both, Missed lay ups and shying away from contact and shooting fad aways  aint on coaching at this point. I'm not a BB coach, but I have coached other ball,  If the kids aint doing what they are told to do and not playing with effort on both ends of the floor, or keeps listening to dad in the stands, he has to make a change , If he don't he's not much of a coach.  DC was picked in the lower half of the district even with 4 -5 returning players for some reason.     

Moonshiner, first let me say I agree that they looked soft against Cannon. Frankly, they have looked soft in a lot of games and that is not solely the coach's fault.

Second, I am unaware of any kids intentionally not doing what they are told but if that is the case it is a problem and needs to be addressed.

Third, I am definitely the loudest dad in the stands and if my yelling constitutes a need to make a change fine. I don't just yell at my son. I yell at all the kids because I have a relationship with them having done skills clinics with them last year when Coach Martin was here. The kids don't communicate among themselves on the floor and lack a passion and energy. That is a problem I try to help with real time during games. Coach knows that I will support him if he believes my son is not capable of playing for him. I have already told him that. Against Cannon, my son did not start and did not play for nine minutes of the first half because he was viewed as the problem with the offense the previous game. We scored two points without him on the floor. Some of the critiques coach has had with my son I completely agree with and have told him the same things. Every coach this year has put their best defender on my son and three teams have brought a second defender as soon as he puts the ball on the floor with his right hand. Until Tanner is back that will likely continue. My son needs to work harder to overcome these things and nobody in our family is going to make excuses for him struggling to deal with it. I do try to communicate to help him and all the kids in games the best I can but Coach should play who he feels gives them the best chance to win, period.

Last and this is most important.... Parents entrust their hearts to any coach. That is why they are so passionate. Often a coach takes unfair blame because passion overrules reason. None of us are in practices. If the time is being used well and the right things are being worked on daily they will improve. If that is not happening they will not. Either way, I still believe Coach Sanders can be a good coach whether they win 20 games or 2 if he is focused on the right stuff and I am not talking about X's and O's. Coaches are the most influential person in life outside of parents on a kid. Everyone would like the team to improve, compete and win but as a parent that pails in comparison to a coach that will pour himself in my child and other young people to help them become men of character with great work ethics and the desire to serve others. It is still too early to know whether Coach Sanders is going to be that kind of coach but I can give him props on several fronts. See below:

Coach Sanders will stay late after practice to let me work with my kid on areas he is struggling with. All the kids can stay but it tends to just be the two of us for most of the time and they are the best hours of my week. Hopefully that extra work pays off soon but what I am thankful for is that he cares enough to give me the opportunity to bond deeper with my child over something we both love. The hours in that gym with him when nobody else is there are precious to me. Every minute counts. Coach Sanders and Coach Vance make that happen. They don't have to stay late but they do. Coach Sanders does not get in the way. He gives us time together.

Coach Sanders listens. He has shown on more than one occasion the ability to hear concerns and not blow them out of proportion but try to find remedies. His even keel and willingness to work at things says a lot about him as a person. The most important things have nothing to do with a game.

Coach Sanders has brought new ideas to the program at Dekalb trying to build it up and get more resources into the system for player development. That shows me he cares. It will not help my kid or this year but he is trying to make a difference for future kids in the program.

This is not the year anyone envisioned but ten years from now not a single one of those kids will be playing basketball competitively. My hope is that they all are better men for having been on this team.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DCRealist said:

Moonshiner, first let me say I agree that they looked soft against Cannon. Frankly, they have looked soft in a lot of games and that is not solely the coach's fault.

Second, I am unaware of any kids intentionally not doing what they are told but if that is the case it is a problem and needs to be addressed.

Third, I am definitely the loudest dad in the stands and if my yelling constitutes a need to make a change fine. I don't just yell at my son. I yell at all the kids because I have a relationship with them having done skills clinics with them last year when Coach Martin was here. The kids don't communicate among themselves on the floor and lack a passion and energy. That is a problem I try to help with real time during games. Coach knows that I will support him if he believes my son is not capable of playing for him. I have already told him that. Against Cannon, my son did not start and did not play for nine minutes of the first half because he was viewed as the problem with the offense the previous game. We scored two points without him on the floor. Some of the critiques coach has had with my son I completely agree with and have told him the same things. Every coach this year has put their best defender on my son and three teams have brought a second defender as soon as he puts the ball on the floor with his right hand. Until Tanner is back that will likely continue. My son needs to work harder to overcome these things and nobody in our family is going to make excuses for him struggling to deal with it. I do try to communicate to help him and all the kids in games the best I can but Coach should play who he feels gives them the best chance to win, period.

Last and this is most important.... Parents entrust their hearts to any coach. That is why they are so passionate. Often a coach takes unfair blame because passion overrules reason. None of us are in practices. If the time is being used well and the right things are being worked on daily they will improve. If that is not happening they will not. Either way, I still believe Coach Sanders can be a good coach whether they win 20 games or 2 if he is focused on the right stuff and I am not talking about X's and O's. Coaches are the most influential person in life outside of parents on a kid. Everyone would like the team to improve, compete and win but as a parent that pails in comparison to a coach that will pour himself in my child and other young people to help them become men of character with great work ethics and the desire to serve others. It is still too early to know whether Coach Sanders is going to be that kind of coach but I can give him props on several fronts. See below:

Coach Sanders will stay late after practice to let me work with my kid on areas he is struggling with. All the kids can stay but it tends to just be the two of us for most of the time and they are the best hours of my week. Hopefully that extra work pays off soon but what I am thankful for is that he cares enough to give me the opportunity to bond deeper with my child over something we both love. The hours in that gym with him when nobody else is there are precious to me. Every minute counts. Coach Sanders and Coach Vance make that happen. They don't have to stay late but they do. Coach Sanders does not get in the way. He gives us time together.

Coach Sanders listens. He has shown on more than one occasion the ability to hear concerns and not blow them out of proportion but try to find remedies. His even keel and willingness to work at things says a lot about him as a person. The most important things have nothing to do with a game.

Coach Sanders has brought new ideas to the program at Dekalb trying to build it up and get more resources into the system for player development. That shows me he cares. It will not help my kid or this year but he is trying to make a difference for future kids in the program.

This is not the year anyone envisioned but ten years from now not a single one of those kids will be playing basketball competitively. My hope is that they all are better men for having been on this team.

Didn't mean to direct that at any one person or anyone from DC for that matter,   just making a point. Many things /thoughts/ideas go into starting and subs. Again, if something ain't working, ya got to make a change.     It looks like they have lost confidence in themselves, and fold when things turn sideways.  I know these guys can play. I've seen it, and seen flashes of good ball  in every game.  I'm not sure who your son is, but if he puts the same effort into ball as you do in your post,  he will do just fine. Now, if you could bottle some of that stuff up and give it to  all the players..

Edited by Moonshiner

1 hour ago, Iceman2000 said:

Time for the Tigers to get back on track Fri night vs the Pioneers.  DC realist no doubt your son will get some relief when Poss comes back. Any idea when he is set to return.  Him and Atkins back together will help alot. 

Warren Co. will be tough, But if the boys play with a little pride, effort ,urgency and  play like they are capable of playing it's possible. We've seen WC, I'm not sure WC see  DC yet ,  I hope for a good game regardless of the score and carry it over to the  Jackson Co, game. Two good games back to back would be a huge boost right now.