District 8AA

pantherrules

On 1/2/2020 at 11:37 AM, MadHatter1 said:

Theres 6 or 7 that went to ums. Along with the prescott kids they make up the majority of the team. Kids athletes and non athletes feed in from prescott every year because upperman is closer. Another middle school in the plans a couple of miles from upperman also. 

Hate to be "that guy" but I'm gonna be, lol 

Prescott itself is about 12 miles from UHS but only like 7 miles from CHS.  I'm sure you'll come back with "yea but where they live is closer"... but I'm pretty sure a couple of those Prescott boys live in Cookeville City Limits.  

Most likely it was a basketball decision.  Either not wanting to play for a coach... or the UHS coach convincing them to play for him.  Could have possibly been not wanting to go to a big school.  That is understandable, as well.  

Either way, doesn't change anything.  They certainly got the best of that class from Cookeville.  And I say from Cookeville because PSMS is in city limits.  Good luck to the bees on their road to the boro this year. 

Also, while I'm here let me just say a word about Dekalb County.  I was able to see 2 of the 3 contests CHS played vs the Tigers.  I am impressed with some of the young talent you all have.  Also like the post player, #12.   

Seems like untimely turnovers plagued you guys against us in both games I saw.  

I also watched our York game Tuesday.  They have 2 pretty darn good high school players. If they had a little more depth to them, they could make a run at substate/state as well.  Unfortunately, they are really only about 3-4 deep from what I could tell. 

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 11:01 AM, Alumn89 said:

Also, while I'm here let me just say a word about Dekalb County.  I was able to see 2 of the 3 contests CHS played vs the Tigers.  I am impressed with some of the young talent you all have.  Also like the post player, #12.   

Seems like untimely turnovers plagued you guys against us in both games I saw.  

I also watched our York game Tuesday.  They have 2 pretty darn good high school players. If they had a little more depth to them, they could make a run at substate/state as well.  Unfortunately, they are really only about 3-4 deep from what I could tell. 

DC is a little on the young side. They have 3 Srs . They start 2 Srs. Cook (#12) and White, with Munoz coming off the bench. They have 2 Jrs and  3 sophs and 1 fr. that start or have stated in some shape, form or fashion. Those sophs. have the potential to be special (IMO) in a year or 2.    

In watching them some this year, looks to me like they have won all the games they should have and had a good shot at a couple they shouldn't have been favored to win.  I don't think they have played but 1-2 games with everybody being healthy. And   I don't know who makes DCs schedule but Cookville 3x and White Co. 2x   and Lebanon 1x= 6 of their losses. That's a rough row to hoe.  

Edited by Moonshiner

9 hours ago, cannonguy said:

How was this game so close?

Others who were there can correct me as I may not be as versed as them, but here are a few things I noticed:

LA best D played all year. Obviously to keep Upperman at 50 points, D had to play a part. Sells played a lot underneath on D with Choate and McDonald. I think Choate's improvement and much needed height this time around along with a few Sells key rebounds caused enough problem on getting the big boys rolling. Last game Rush dominated underneath.

Rush and the other big guy had foul trouble early. I think the one big guy had 3 mid-way through 2nd quarter. Upperman did not substitute as much as normal.  Grissom and Fox played, Allen was absent and didn't see Bell get in. Not sure if sickness was going on?

Upperman rolls in spurts. Enough disruption allowed that to not happen. They didn't go on their normal tear in the 2nd quarter which is what they seem to usually do. Halftime was 27-20. They did get up around 12 or so with a few big treys but didn't run away.

Sells had 10 points last game. McAllister played tremendous D that game. This time the D was still there, Sells was just Sells. 5 treys, a couple DEEP, and one a 4 point play. 9-9 from the line (typical 90+%). A few great dishes to Choate underneath whenever he drove and they double and tripled down on him. Fewer bone-headed turnovers, although still the frustrating forced passes in traffic popped up. Luckily, the damage was minimal.

Again, no expert, so this is just my amateur observations. The planets almost aligned in the district but not quite. :)

So at this point. IMHO the most impactful games remaining in regards to district standings UHS at YI 1/31 and YI at LA 2/11. Depending on how things shake out WT at YI 2/13 could have an impact. Then again we are talking about high school basketball where anything can happen. 

UHS 9-0

YI     8-1

WT   6-3

CC    5-4