Blackman-Warren County

redmolly

1 hour ago, Pioneersports said:

According to the Power Rankings for this week, Warren County will be a 56 point underdog. What is your prediction for the total points scored this week?

I don't see it being by 56. I believe if Blackman gets up enough that the coach should feel comfortable the 2's and 3's We played the 3's against Coffee County and it was not a s6 point spread.  I do know this, I would love to see the folks show up for the game. No fair going on this week... should be dry and cool. Good luck to the Pioneers as we all try to stay healthy and lets knock some heads. 

18 minutes ago, PIONEERS12 said:

Must be nice to have 2's and 3's.

Yes... I know you guys are thin... I just gotta believe that having depth 2, 3 's in a school with that number of students is a possibilty. Many have eluded to the reason as to why not, but as a resident and a long time supporter , do you see it something that could be fixed? If so what would you do to remedy the support from the bottom up. 

3 hours ago, Blaze45 said:

Yes... I know you guys are thin... I just gotta believe that having depth 2, 3 's in a school with that number of students is a possibilty. Many have eluded to the reason as to why not, but as a resident and a long time supporter , do you see it something that could be fixed? If so what would you do to remedy the support from the bottom up. 

There is NO reason for it.  WC now is bigger than R'dale was when we were only 5a and were SIX (6) deep at every position except kicker, punter, center and QB.  At Center and QB we were only 4 deep!

Parents need to be asking the embarrassing questions of the Administration at school and the School Board!  Hopefully they will get it fixed before football is a thing of the past there!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

It is absolutely demographics for the most part. I don't know the WC situation fully, but being a big school does not mean there are untapped athletes just roaming the halls and not playing sports. A few? maybe. I have children at Coffee County and I can say with certainty that the speed and size of the athletes roaming the halls in the Boro schools doesn't even remotely exist at CC and I don't believe it exists in WC either. We occasionally will have a stand out like Alontae, but kids like him come along once  every five years. If you haven't the size up front, even having a talent like that isn't going to win games for you. Yes, you can have a great S&C program, but that only takes you so far. A good weight program enhances your athletes, it doesn't build athletes. Combine the lack of natural athletes with going up against murderer's row 5 times a year and absolutely participation will go down. CC's most talented player (IMO) remaining from last year's team decided not to play this year. He has already committed to Louisville to play baseball. A good decision on his part. Why would he risk his future when it clearly lies on the baseball diamond. If you look around southern Tennessee, you don't see Franklin County, Lincoln County, Shelbyville, Warren County competing on a regular basis. They haven't for many years. That's not to say each doesn't have a special group occasionally that wins 5 games, but those winning traditions died out years ago with the population explosion of Rutherford County. The kids that love the game will continue to play, but the ones "on the fence" about the commitment aren't going to. Simple reason is that the beat downs that come from the Blackmans, Oaklands, and even the Riverdales (what happened to Riverdale?) just aren't worth it. CC and WC playing in the Boro region is the equivalent of Carson Newman playing in the SEC. The talent isn't there and the untapped potential isn't there either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PEARLBALL said:

It is absolutely demographics for the most part. I don't know the WC situation fully, but being a big school does not mean there are untapped athletes just roaming the halls and not playing sports. A few? maybe. I have children at Coffee County and I can say with certainty that the speed and size of the athletes roaming the halls in the Boro schools doesn't even remotely exist at CC and I don't believe it exists in WC either. We occasionally will have a stand out like Alontae, but kids like him come along once  every five years. If you haven't the size up front, even having a talent like that isn't going to win games for you. Yes, you can have a great S&C program, but that only takes you so far. A good weight program enhances your athletes, it doesn't build athletes. Combine the lack of natural athletes with going up against murderer's row 5 times a year and absolutely participation will go down. CC's most talented player (IMO) remaining from last year's team decided not to play this year. He has already committed to Louisville to play baseball. A good decision on his part. Why would he risk his future when it clearly lies on the baseball diamond. If you look around southern Tennessee, you don't see Franklin County, Lincoln County, Shelbyville, Warren County competing on a regular basis. They haven't for many years. That's not to say each doesn't have a special group occasionally that wins 5 games, but those winning traditions died out years ago with the population explosion of Rutherford County. The kids that love the game will continue to play, but the ones "on the fence" about the commitment aren't going to. Simple reason is that the beat downs that come from the Blackmans, Oaklands, and even the Riverdales (what happened to Riverdale?) just aren't worth it. CC and WC playing in the Boro region is the equivalent of Carson Newman playing in the SEC. The talent isn't there and the untapped potential isn't there either.

I guess coming from out in west Texas I just don't get the logic.  There is nothing magical about living in Rutherford county that automatically makes you bigger, faster or stronger. But look at the ground up . What do you have in the way of youth football leagues? Are those coaches and programs working with middle schools and high schools? EXPERIENCE, TECHNIQUE, COACHING all begin at a young age.  My point being that While Rutherford county may have athletes they also have Riverdale, Blackman,Oakland,Siegel.Stewarts Creek, Smyrna,, Eagleville,Lavergne and couple Private schools (MTCS) So 9 schools for athletes to go to, which you would think thins the average out.  I don't doubt that there are challenges in getting the programs up and competing, but you don't get better until you demand better. I truly believe that part of that growth requires buy in from the top down. If mom and dad down talk a program a coach or sport... the kid is already impacted as to how and if he /she plays the game.  I wish that I could wave the magic wand and balance it out, but it begins with expectations and delivering that to your school administrators.  

16 minutes ago, Blaze45 said:

I guess coming from out in west Texas I just don't get the logic.  There is nothing magical about living in Rutherford county that automatically makes you bigger, faster or stronger. But look at the ground up . What do you have in the way of youth football leagues? Are those coaches and programs working with middle schools and high schools? EXPERIENCE, TECHNIQUE, COACHING all begin at a young age.  My point being that While Rutherford county may have athletes they also have Riverdale, Blackman,Oakland,Siegel.Stewarts Creek, Smyrna,, Eagleville,Lavergne and couple Private schools (MTCS) So 9 schools for athletes to go to, which you would think thins the average out.  I don't doubt that there are challenges in getting the programs up and competing, but you don't get better until you demand better. I truly believe that part of that growth requires buy in from the top down. If mom and dad down talk a program a coach or sport... the kid is already impacted as to how and if he /she plays the game.  I wish that I could wave the magic wand and balance it out, but it begins with expectations and delivering that to your school administrators.  

We will have to agree to disagree on things evening out - you could take the very best from WC, CC, Tullahoma, and Franklin County and still not compete with the majority of Rutherford county teams. Murfreesboro Oakland in the 70s, 80s, and 90s was far from a powerhouse and were no different than a Warren County, or Coffee County, or even a White County. Then the town exploded and with it came lots of athletes. We lost a CC coach to Murfreesboro (Oakland I believe?) in the early-mid 90s . He won a game or two at CC maybe. Goes to Murfreesboro and kills it. It wasn't support from the administration. It wasn't that he read a coaching book on the drive up there. It was the huge change in the roster.

• Like 1

There are ATHELETES roaming EVERY hall at EVERY school not coming out for sports period.  Getting them out is just a matter of MOTIVATION.  R'dale is a prime example.  When Rankin was there we were VERY deep.  Same school and even MORE students and we went from a 'Varsity' squad of 110 and a separate JV/Freshman team of 50-75 to less than 75 TOTAL under Coach A.

When Rankin was at WC the athletes started to come out.  He left there and went home to Smith County.  The athletes came out there until he came to R'dale.  He went to Alcoa and the kids are coming out there.

There are some VERY good kids walking the halls at WC that a bunch of schools would love to have.  If I was the recruiter for either Coffee County or Cookeville I would be poaching there regularly.

The first thing you have to do is talk the young ladies of the school into helping you talk the young men into wanting to play.  Think about it, what made you want to sweat your tail off in two a days?  You have to motivate them where being left off the team is the last thing in the world they want.

Why isn't it happening at WC?  Simple the School Board/ Administration and even the Coaches to a minor extent do NOT CARE and are motivating NOBODY!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PEARLBALL said:

We will have to agree to disagree on things evening out - you could take the very best from WC, CC, Tullahoma, and Franklin County and still not compete with the majority of Rutherford county teams. Murfreesboro Oakland in the 70s, 80s, and 90s was far from a powerhouse and were no different than a Warren County, or Coffee County, or even a White County. Then the town exploded and with it came lots of athletes. We lost a CC coach to Murfreesboro (Oakland I believe?) in the early-mid 90s . He won a game or two at CC maybe. Goes to Murfreesboro and kills it. It wasn't support from the administration. It wasn't that he read a coaching book on the drive up there. It was the huge change in the roster.

Oakland won state championships in '84 and '98. Even old Murfreesboro Central won a state title back in the early 70's before Oakland and Riverdale were built. The Rankin years at Riverdale speak for themselves. The Boro has always been a football hotbed. 

And I'm sorry man, but that mentality is probably one of the biggest issues at those places. Warren County could most certainly improve their program if they made it a community effort. This is high school football. I find it hard to believe that a school with 2000 kids doesn't have 40-50 decent football players and enough filler for a 70-80 man roster, which, with a good coaching staff, is more than enough to compete, demographics be danged. But it takes support from the community and administration. It starts in the youth leagues and works its way up through the middle schools, and then eventually you have a bonafide feeder system in place. Would it be enough to topple the Murfreesboro powers like Oakland and Blackman? Most years, probably not, but I guarantee you there would be far fewer snooze fests, and WC would probably even squeak out an occasional W and at least compete for a playoff spot most years.

I will admit your region is a daunting challenge in which to build up a struggling program, but I have seen first hand the positive impact that administrative support and one good coaching hire can have on large rural programs. The only thing holding most of these places back is themselves.   

• Like 1