Dekalb @ Smith Co

Iceman2000

Amen, the teams on the DCHS schedule are all in similar situations. Hence I do not believe a talent gap is the explanation, but I do believe the coaching staff has reached its limitations, been figured out, or stagnated. 

We all can look around the state of Tennessee, and find rural counties who have found ways to be consistently successful. Dekalb is no different, and those of us inside the area can look to the success of the other sports within the high school as the goal, but football is still lagging behind.

We can no longer buy the lie; it is the kids' fault.

Tigerfan, i don't know if Hunter Poteete,  Justin Poteete or Michael Shaw would be better but maybe thats what the program needs is new blood. Can't even get guys to help Coach anymore,  high turnover rate for coaches staying.  That says something.  We will finish 3-7 again this year, beat Cumberland Co and make playoffs again and lose in 1st rd and put up another playoff achievement on our wall. Lol

1 hour ago, CasualBystander said:

I don't think that optimistic view on DCHS, absolves them from consistently underperforming. 

How long can "Tiger Pride" live off that play-off win?

Especially, in the face of failing to live up to expectations. With all this said, I understand Iceman's hot seat diagnosis.

I think Trapp has 3 playoff wins.

You also have to ask are they underperforming for their talent or just not meeting expectations? There is a difference.

37 minutes ago, CasualBystander said:

Amen, the teams on the DCHS schedule are all in similar situations. Hence I do not believe a talent gap is the explanation, but I do believe the coaching staff has reached its limitations, been figured out, or stagnated. 

We all can look around the state of Tennessee, and find rural counties who have found ways to be consistently successful. Dekalb is no different, and those of us inside the area can look to the success of the other sports within the high school as the goal, but football is still lagging behind.

Is the basketball team still consistently very good? I know they used to be. I just didn't know about the last 7 to 10 years. It seems interest in football in some of the smaller schools may be down across the board.

3 Wins (playoff record of 3-9) in a 14(?) year tenure is less than impressive. Especially when we factor in how easy it is to make the playoffs. 

Which brings us to the question of talent versus expectations. As Iceman has stated, by referencing the "playoff wall". Trapp has controlled a narrative which sets the expectations (and overall goal) of the program as simply making it to the playoffs. This narrative is dependent upon people not understanding one region win results in a playoff birth.

So in a way, "Tiger Pride" is meeting programatic expectations; albeit very lackluster/ignorant expectations.

However, select individuals recognize these lackluster goals because they expect more from a 14 year Head Coach, and they understand the potential talent within the area. This is also compounded by the fact much of this talent is not playing. This talent may be walking the halls, or it may be stranded on the sideline (as I believe DCHS is staunchly against placing the best 11/22 on the field).

Iceman, makes an excellent point in noticing the lack of assistance in terms of Coaching. Which is the largest red-flag in my opinion.

Is this an inability to ask for help? An inability to evaluate coaching talent? An inability to work with others?  No matter what the explanation, it is why a change is needed because after 14 years we have all seen enough.

3 hours ago, CasualBystander said:

3 Wins (playoff record of 3-9) in a 14(?) year tenure is less than impressive. Especially when we factor in how easy it is to make the playoffs. 

Which brings us to the question of talent versus expectations. As Iceman has stated, by referencing the "playoff wall". Trapp has controlled a narrative which sets the expectations (and overall goal) of the program as simply making it to the playoffs. This narrative is dependent upon people not understanding one region win results in a playoff birth.

So in a way, "Tiger Pride" is meeting programatic expectations; albeit very lackluster/ignorant expectations.

However, select individuals recognize these lackluster goals because they expect more from a 14 year Head Coach, and they understand the potential talent within the area. This is also compounded by the fact much of this talent is not playing. This talent may be walking the halls, or it may be stranded on the sideline (as I believe DCHS is staunchly against placing the best 11/22 on the field).

Iceman, makes an excellent point in noticing the lack of assistance in terms of Coaching. Which is the largest red-flag in my opinion.

Is this an inability to ask for help? An inability to evaluate coaching talent? An inability to work with others?  No matter what the explanation, it is why a change is needed because after 14 years we have all seen enough.

I think this is something that I have noticed in casual supporters of various high school teams. They also watch college/NFL and have the notion that a playoff team has to win the bulk of their games to be in that position.

That certainly isn't the case in high school football. In the case of Dekalb County playing in a region with just 5 teams they can go 1-9 and the make the playoffs by beating Cumberland County. That is certainly far from an accomplishment or anything one would consider a successful season.

But let me ask this... They have Smith, Macon and Cumberland Co. these last 3 games. I have seen Smith and Macon and they are down pretty bad. IF Dekalb wins those games and finishes out 5-5 what are your thoughts?

Thanks for the input... It sounds like you guys are anxious to see a change in the program.  I will agree with the one post about the historical record of DeKalb County football (it isn't very good) so quite possibly a lot of people are "OK" with the direction of the team.  I just wonder if there is anyone in the school system that feels the same way (administration, school board, higher ups, etc...) 

18 hours ago, Iceman2000 said:

Tigerfan, i don't know if Hunter Poteete,  Justin Poteete or Michael Shaw would be better but maybe thats what the program needs is new blood. Can't even get guys to help Coach anymore,  high turnover rate for coaches staying.  That says something.  We will finish 3-7 again this year, beat Cumberland Co and make playoffs again and lose in 1st rd and put up another playoff achievement on our wall. Lol

I didn't know Hunter Poteete coached football, I have heard that Justin is doing very well at the Middle School and don't know much about the other guy.  Again thanks for your thoughts, just was curious as to what was going on with the football program, according to one guy I have seen on here they're young and have a lot coming up... guess we will see 

Even if they closed out with 3 wins, and this is a big "if". No, I would not consider 5-5 successful. No, I would not consider 3 wins over teams with a combined win total of 3 an accomplishment. 

The problem is, it will be spun as an accomplishment, but it is not! It will be another 3-7 year leading to a first round playoff exit. 

The true problem is; and this is a problem with most rural football programs. DeKalb is nepotistic & incestuous. Trapp can continue to underachieve, and blatantly not place the best 11 kids on the field as long as he plays the political game. He is a DeKalb County boy, and sadly that matters more than coaching ability. 

22 hours ago, CasualBystander said:

Has Dekalb ever had an undefeated season?

Theres know way you can  say anything good about there front 7. Outside of cross theres nothing there. Yes they had several that were suppose to be back but quit. There truly is a ton of talent Sophomore down my son has played with this group for yrs. There qb has been consistent at 1 thing all yr and that's throwing pics because if he cant find 13 he takes off running but again hes a sophomore. There are kids not being used for sure or out of place. Its that thing where coaches try to shove a square peg in a round hole. Yes they will be better in the very near future. Yes I bought into what they have on the team. for anyone to say there front seven are experienced have no clue about the team. you want the truth this team is lazy lazy lazy lazy. They get outworked every game.  That comes back to coaching but to say this all the coaches fault is terrible.  Im there on Fridays and Mondays to watch my son and can tell you that it runs from seniors to freshmans on there work ethic. My son told me that there were 7 starters who quit a week from the start of the season. its hard to start in that whole.  As much as it kills me I believe iceman is right this is a 3 win team maybe 4.  its sad because will a little more effort could been at least a 7 win team as young as they are.