Farragut vs DB 2018

Ericdietz

5 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Here is another crazy stat for you.  Farragut High School has been around longer than DB.  Farragut was established in 1904 and DB was established in 1918

I could be wrong on this, but Farragut didn't start playing football until after WWII. 1946 or 1947, I think. Didn't DB start playing in the 1920s?

7 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I could be wrong on this, but Farragut didn't start playing football until after WWII. 1946 or 1947, I think. Didn't DB start playing in the 1920s?

First Season was 1921 for DB.  That just makes you wonder what took so long for Farragut to start a football team.  You can't hate on someone else for more wins when your school has been in existence for 14 more years.  Farragut also didn't make its first play off appearance until 1978.

Just now, Swipes said:

First Season was 1921 for DB.  That just makes you wonder what took so long for Farragut to start a football team.  You can't hate on someone else for more wins when your school has been in existence for 14 more years.  Farragut also didn't make its first play off appearance until 1978.

I'm not hating on either school. I'm just trying to provide context.

Farragut was just cow town back in the early 1900s. By 1910, Farragut had graduated a grand total of 9 students, believe it or not. There just weren't many people living that far west of Knoxville then, and this lasted all the way into the 1970s. When Farragut incorporated in 1980, they had a whopping 6,279 people. That same year, Kingsport had more than 5 times as many people (32,027 according to Wikipedia).

Based on the way Knoxville was settled, the bigger mystery to me is why Bearden has historically struggled so much on the gridiron.

3 hours ago, RebelAtHeart said:

I would agree with under coached, average talent, a "track school", or even undisciplined... but I think "not good" should stay reserved for teams like Sullivan Central, Heritage, and Jellico.  If your basis for "not good" is Friday against the Toppers - then you haven't paid attention.  Plus... if HVA is "not good", then what does that make SH for barely beating them.  Again... if you paid attention the game Friday could have easily swung in HVA's direction all night.  But then again the Hawks failed to secure the win against a beatable 2-5 Toppers, so it does make sense they will be "beat soundly" by a 2-5 DB.  Sounds like a "slam dunk" to me.  :thumb:

Just watch.

2 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

You seem to be the only one questioning DB's character. So it doesn't bother me because you're a moron. And a moron's opinion don't count for much.

You speak volumes about DBs character just from your simple minded replies. I’m starting to think you’re a little Butt hurt literally and figuratively. 

1 hour ago, osunut2 said:

Welp. So much for a civil discussion.

You're right, osunut. The first year for football at FHS was 1947, and it was mostly a "B" team schedule. There's an article in Clyde Floyd's Farragut Football Retrospective about kids in 1954 walking 3 miles to practice and those who couldn't attend the afternoon session during 2-a-days because they were needed to cut corn, take care of other farm chores or, in a couple of cases, worked as carpenters' helpers. Farragut remained a relatively small, country school through the middle 70s. The closest "big city" was Lenoir City. That's the background for how Farragut came to be derisively referred to as the "Farragut Farmers" by Bearden city folk. The tradition continues (though I wonder often times if either of the student bodies understand where it stems from) with farmer attire worn by the Farragut kids.

Surprisingly, Bearden didn't field a football team until 1949.

Speaking of Bearden, time to turn attention to the Battle of West Knoxville. It should be a dandy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Swipes said:

Well I would think less because your way off.  Since 2000 DB has made it past the 2nd round 5 times.  Semi Finals Twice in the largest Classification in TN.  Other than 2016 how may times has Farragut made it to the Semi's since 2000?

Here is another crazy stat for you.  Farragut High School has been around longer than DB.  Farragut was established in 1904 and DB was established in 1918

My apologies, I stand corrected.  I guess it's only been over the last 3-4 years, counting this year, that Farragut has been a slightly better program.  After looking up the records, I see that my perception was wrong and that D-B has actually been very good up until around 2012 or so.  Of course they also do have a significant heads up lead against Farragut, which can't be denied.  

As has been noted by others, Farragut didn't start playing until 1947, and was never really much good at all until the late 70s.  Since then however, Farragut has consistently been a good program and at times a great program.  I guess some Farragut fans, including myself, feel that this sometimes gets overlooked by opponents and Farragut isn't given the appropriate amount of respect.  It could perhaps be argued that even a few posters in the course of this thread were lacking a proper respect for Farragut as they stand currently as a program.  I guess that was what spurred some of my comments.

2 hours ago, FHS_Admiral said:

My apologies, I stand corrected.  I guess it's only been over the last 3-4 years, counting this year, that Farragut has been a slightly better program.  After looking up the records, I see that my perception was wrong and that D-B has actually been very good up until around 2012 or so.  Of course they also do have a significant heads up lead against Farragut, which can't be denied.  

As has been noted by others, Farragut didn't start playing until 1947, and was never really much good at all until the late 70s.  Since then however, Farragut has consistently been a good program and at times a great program.  I guess some Farragut fans, including myself, feel that this sometimes gets overlooked by opponents and Farragut isn't given the appropriate amount of respect.  It could perhaps be argued that even a few posters in the course of this thread were lacking a proper respect for Farragut as they stand currently as a program.  I guess that was what spurred some of my comments.

Olive branch and apologies accepted.  You my friend , are an admirable admiral.   Seriously, I want to say a couple things about the game last Friday.  

1.  We really enjoyed the trip, venue, and how we were treated by the staff and fans around the stadium.

2.  The late hit, (while I think it was just a kid using bad judgement) was sickening, and we all pray that your QB gets healthy soon and back on the field.  

3.  The most embarrassing thing was the lack of discipline shown by the whole DB staff, which led to lack of discipline by DB players.  Quality character was one of the unseen extras that Graham Clark provided, and demanded as a Coach.

Good luck the rest of the season.

• Like 2