OAK RIDGE @ CLINTON

92Dragon

10 hours ago, ORcats said:

I've got a little different take on the game.  I thought the roughing the kicker call looked more like the kid was just trying to block the kick.  They scored off that penalty.  Another score came after a very generous spot by the ref on 4th down that gave them a first. So, two of those scores were a little iffy to me.  That said, we definitely have areas that could use improvement, and once again, the "real" team didn't show up until the 2nd half.   And I felt like Clinton was much better than what I had been hearing.  Their QB did well, and they have some speed, especially on the kick-offs.  In fact, if it wasn't for Kai-reese they probably would have scored twice more on kick-off returns.  So there's that.   All-in-all, a pretty entertaining game. Next week is going to be tough for OR if they don't start out stronger.  Good luck to Clinton next week.

The roughing call should've been a "running into" call but the defense was awful tonight. A weak team dominated our defense at the line of scrimmage. Gaddis had the offense ready for a change but the defense was dominated by a team that has only one region win...a forfeit. Clinton scored 16 against Scott County, 21 against AC, 14 against Central, 7 against West, and 8 against Fulton. The only team they've scored more against than our defense was Seymour, who isn't exactly a powerhouse. The 28 points they scored against our so called "great " defense is embarrassing. It's a good thing the normally late showing offense played in the first half last night. The kickoff coverage which is also a defensive team was atrocious. Did the defense not practice over the last two weeks? Can we not figure out how to play offense AND defense on the same night? If we don't figure it out, we will end up 7-3 and then likely 8-4.

12 hours ago, bonkers said:

The roughing call should've been a "running into" call but the defense was awful tonight. A weak team dominated our defense at the line of scrimmage. Gaddis had the offense ready for a change but the defense was dominated by a team that has only one region win...a forfeit. Clinton scored 16 against Scott County, 21 against AC, 14 against Central, 7 against West, and 8 against Fulton. The only team they've scored more against than our defense was Seymour, who isn't exactly a powerhouse. The 28 points they scored against our so called "great " defense is embarrassing. It's a good thing the normally late showing offense played in the first half last night. The kickoff coverage which is also a defensive team was atrocious. Did the defense not practice over the last two weeks? Can we not figure out how to play offense AND defense on the same night? If we don't figure it out, we will end up 7-3 and then likely 8-4.

Yeah.  I was trying to be positive, but I can't disagree with your post.  I hope they just got out of sync over the Fall break, because I do think their defense is better than what it looked like last night.  I hope they can iron out the problems before Friday.

18 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Yes. Our kickoff coverage was awful tonight. Clinton had unbelievable field position all night long, so the defense played pretty good actually. Clinton had a short field to work on all night long. Gotta fix that. 

Just now saw this.  Your viewpoint makes me feel better about the defense.  Sometimes I think teams play worse after an open date.  I'd say practice will be intense this week.

16 hours ago, ORcats said:

Sometimes I think teams play worse after an open date.

Depends on the circumstances. In high school, you just never know. The one thing I think it can do for a high school team is get an emotional team refocused. But a team that is really clicking can often get derailed by a bye week.

19 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Depends on the circumstances. In high school, you just never know. The one thing I think it can do for a high school team is get an emotional team refocused. But a team that is really clicking can often get derailed by a bye week.

What's really strange is that the offense played better (didn't wait until the second half) after a bye week and the defense played worse...go figure.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...