Best Rivalry in Knox - BHS v FHS

KnoxSportsMom

13 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Farragut has it 3rd and 2 at the 5, ends up 3rd and 30-something at the 38.   What the ?!?!?     2 personal fouls on the same play against Farragut.       Was anyone at the game and actually saw the infractions?

I was watching, and I'll admit, I didn't see what happened. It happened away from the play - in the end zone on the far side of the field. The play/run went to the short side. Normally when you see that called, they flag both players, or they get the guy who retaliates. Not often that you get a personal foul and an unsportsmanlike call on the same team in a situation like that.

Hopefully someone has the story on that.

52 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

I was watching, and I'll admit, I didn't see what happened. It happened away from the play - in the end zone on the far side of the field. The play/run went to the short side. Normally when you see that called, they flag both players, or they get the guy who retaliates. Not often that you get a personal foul and an unsportsmanlike call on the same team in a situation like that.

Hopefully someone has the story on that.

No kidding, you hate to say it cost Farragut the game, but.... it essentially cost Farragut the game.   But the flags could have been justified, not blaming the refs for anything.   I would really like to know but since there is very unlikely no film we may never really know for sure...

8 hours ago, blazer1set said:

No kidding, you hate to say it cost Farragut the game, but.... it essentially cost Farragut the game.   But the flags could have been justified, not blaming the refs for anything.   I would really like to know but since there is very unlikely no film we may never really know for sure...

It is my understanding that a #10 FHS & a BHS player got physical after the play. Flag for FHS player. FHS player smarted off to Ref after 1st flag resulting in 2nd flag. He's a smartmouth kid who has gotten personal fouls in other games. Shame. He potentially lost his team the game. 

I was at the game and saw the play.  It looked as if #10 was attempting to block the BHS cornerback, but got taken to the ground during the process.  The whistle blew and #10 gets up and then smacks the BHS cornerback across the helmet, while the ref is standing right on top of the play.  Obviously I couldn't hear the interaction between him and the ref, but it did appear he said something to him after the first flag was thrown.

Either way...it was an unfortunate ending to a well-played game.

49 minutes ago, billygoat said:

I was at the game and saw the play.  It looked as if #10 was attempting to block the BHS cornerback, but got taken to the ground during the process.  The whistle blew and #10 gets up and then smacks the BHS cornerback across the helmet, while the ref is standing right on top of the play.  Obviously I couldn't hear the interaction between him and the ref, but it did appear he said something to him after the first flag was thrown.

Not unfortunate, the ref made the right call.    Appreciate you sharing that.     The refs get blamed for so much a lot of the time.

7 hours ago, billygoat said:

If that's what happened, the ref(s) got it right. If you mouth off to the ref, that's an automatic flag, on top of whatever infraction you're already guilty of.

Curious decision by Courtney to go for it on 4th and 30+. Not a lot of plays that will get you that yardage. I realize that Wilkins was having his way with the Farragut defense, but I think you pin them deep in that situation (~3 min left and TOs in your pocket) and hope that your defense can hold.

2 hours ago, osunut2 said:

If that's what happened, the ref(s) got it right. If you mouth off to the ref, that's an automatic flag, on top of whatever infraction you're already guilty of.

Curious decision by Courtney to go for it on 4th and 30+. Not a lot of plays that will get you that yardage. I realize that Wilkins was having his way with the Farragut defense, but I think you pin them deep in that situation (~3 min left and TOs in your pocket) and hope that your defense can hold.

Was surprised by that as well.  Punting may not have been a popular decision with the fanbase, especially if you don't get the ball back.  But I'd take my chances and pin them deep, especially with a couple TO's remaining.

The penalites at the end were very unfortunate. The Farragut WR was blocking the Bearden CB and as the whistle blew to stop the play on the other side of the field the Bearden CB threw the Farragut WR to the ground. I didn't think it was late, pretty much same time as the whistle. The Farragut kid stood up and pushed the Bearden kid. Pushed...not hit...not pushed down...just pushed like happens dozens of times a game. I find it odd that a second flag was never thrown for the unsportsmanlike. It was just added after the personal foul. I couldn't hear what the Farragut kid said but I'm sure it wasn't nice. Seemed to me a warning might have been in order instead of deciding the outcome of the game. 

• Like 2