Best Rivalry in Knox - BHS v FHS

KnoxSportsMom

1 hour ago, HTV said:

You are a young guy, aren't you?  

Sorry, but you are wrong.  I graduated from Bearden when it was part of the Knoxville City Schools System.  

Central

Young

South

Then South-Young after the new school was built and the merger of those two schools happened

Rule

Holston

Bearden

West

Fulton

Austin-East

Don't think I am forgetting anybody

Were all part of the City of Knoxville Schools System before the City went ouft of the school business and those schools were merged in to the Knox County Schools System.  

True,  I was at Central when it was a city school.

3 hours ago, HTV said:

You are a young guy, aren't you?  

Sorry, but you are wrong.  I graduated from Bearden when it was part of the Knoxville City Schools System.  

Central

Young

South

Then South-Young after the new school was built and the merger of those two schools happened

Rule

Holston

Bearden

West

Fulton

Austin-East

Don't think I am forgetting anybody

Were all part of the City of Knoxville Schools System before the City went ouft of the school business and those schools were merged in to the Knox County Schools System.  

West was built as a City School.

Bearden was built as a County School.

Bearden used to be about 4 miles farther east on Kingston Pike. You can see the old football field. 

30lh3b7.png

I played AAA ball when there were only three classes. One district had all the AAA City schools and the other had all the AAA County schools. Bearden was in with the City schools and Farragut was in with the County schools. 

Farragut - Knox Co.

Oak Ridge

Karns - Knox Co.

Halls - Knox Co.

Doyle - Knox Co.

William Blount

Campbell County

Carter - Knox Co.

35 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

Bearden used to be about 4 miles farther east on Kingston Pike. You can see the old football field. 

30lh3b7.png

I played AAA ball when there were only three classes. One district had all the AAA City schools and the other had all the AAA County schools. Bearden was in with the City schools and Farragut was in with the County schools. 

Farragut - Knox Co.

Oak Ridge

Karns - Knox Co.

Halls - Knox Co.

Doyle - Knox Co.

William Blount

Campbell County

Carter - Knox Co.

Old Knoxville High closed in 1951. East High, Fulton High, West High, and South High replaced it in 1952. East High, Fulton High, and West High were new buildings. South High was placed in the old South Junior High building.

The city/county line on the west side was at a bridge on Sutherland Ave. crossing Third Creek just east of West High. From that point east was all city. From that point west was a little confusing to some. On the north side of Sutherland Ave. (across the street from West High) was the county. On West High side of Sutherland Ave. was city until you got to Forest Park Blvd. From that point west was all county again on both sides of Sutherland Ave., as I recall. The big annexation of (circa) 1962 moved the city limits west.

The photo showing the "Old Bearden High School" with the football field impression is the site of the game between Bearden and West of 1962 or 1963 when on a kickoff Tommy Anderson of Bearden (I believe it was he) gave Jim or Joe Rutherford (they are Twins) a cracked helmet with a 2 forearm uppercut to the helmet. I vividly remember seeing Tommy stand in front of a Volkswagen Beetle, grab the front bumper and do a 2 arm curl of the car.

Another memory lane -- while looking at that photo, to the right of the football field where there is now some pavement and looks like some kind of building, was the baseball field. I played there against pitcher Tommy Hammet(sorry, my spelling might be off) of Bearden -- who went on to pitch for the University of Tennessee. 

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

30lh3b7.png

Farragut - Knox Co.

Oak Ridge

Karns - Knox Co.

Halls - Knox Co.

Doyle - Knox Co.

William Blount

Campbell County

Carter - Knox Co.

LOL. That was the football district that no team would play Oak Ridge in.....except for Farragut  William Blount. 

I remember WB and Oak Ridge playing for the District Title In week 10 of 1982.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HSfootballan said:

West was built as a City School.

Bearden was built as a County School.

No it wasn't. Bearden was always within the city limits. The original school that my sisters attended was just East of Northshore and Kingston Pike. 

The new school in it's current location was opened in 1970, and the old school became Bearden Junio High for grades 7, 8, 9.  Thw new school was just inside the City Limits. We lived about a quarter .ile from it on the opposite side of Gallaher Road and our house was in the city. 

Just face it. You are wrong.  Bearden was a Knoxville coty school from its9inception until the early 90s merger of the two systems. 

3 hours ago, HTV said:

No it wasn't. Bearden was always within the city limits. The original school that my sisters attended was just East of Northshore and Kingston Pike. 

The new school in it's current location was opened in 1970, and the old school became Bearden Junio High for grades 7, 8, 9.  Thw new school was just inside the City Limits. We lived about a quarter .ile from it on the opposite side of Gallaher Road and our house was in the city. 

Just face it. You are wrong.  Bearden was a Knoxville coty school from its9inception until the early 90s merger of the two systems. 

See Below: Bearden High School was founded in 1939. The area of Bearden was not annexed into the city until 1962. I was there. I lived in the county on the north side of Sutherland Ave. and was zoned for Bearden. Because of the annexation, I was allowed to go elswhere to high school if I so chose or could go to Bearden.

Bearden High School (Tennessee)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search

Bearden High School is a Knox CountyTennesseehigh school located in the Bearden area in the city of Knoxville.[2]

The school was founded in 1939.[3] It was named for the family of Marcus De LaFayette Bearden, a farmer who served as a captain in the Union Army during the Civil War.[4]

West Knoxville

West Knoxville is a section of Knoxville, Tennessee, west of the city's downtown area. It stretches from Sequoyah Hills on the east to the city's border with Farragut on the west. West Knoxville is concentrated around Kingston Pike (US-70/US-11), and along with Sequoyah Hills includes the neighborhoods of Lyons View, Forest Hills, BeardenWest Hills, Westmoreland Heights, Cedar Bluff, and Ebenezer.[1][2]

"West Knoxville" originally referred to the area immediately west of Second Creek, i.e., what is now Fort Sanders and the University of Tennessee (UT) campus, which were incorporated as the City of West Knoxville in 1888.[3] This city was annexed by Knoxville in 1897, and Fort Sanders and UT are now part of downtown Knoxville.[4] Continued improvements along Kingston Pike, namely the paving of the road to the county line in 1892[3] and the laying of trolley tracks to Lyon's View Pike in 1913, encouraged westward expansion.[5] Sequoyah Hills and Lyon's View Pike were annexed in 1917, and Bearden and West Hills were annexed in 1962.

West Knoxville's first economic boom came in the 1920s and 1930s, when Kingston Pike was part of a merged section of two popular cross-country tourist routes, the Dixie Highway and the Lee Highway.[6] In recent decades, the construction of dozens of shopping plazas in West Knoxville, beginning with Western Plaza in 1957, and the completion of West Town Mall in 1972, caused Knoxville's primary retail corridor to shift from downtown Knoxville to Kingston Pike, where it remains.[7] West Knoxville's most recent major shopping complex, the 358-acre (145 ha) Turkey Creek, opened in 2002.[8]

Throughout the 20th century, West Knoxville was settled by affluent Knoxvillians and newcomers to the Knoxville area, many of whom held more liberal political views than residents in other parts of the city.[8] The annexation of large parts of West Knoxville in 1962 brought into the city large numbers of voters who helped elect one of Knoxville's most progressive city councils in decades in 1964.[8] West Knoxville is also known for aggressive neighborhood advocacy groups, such as the Kingston Pike Sequoyah Hills Association and the West Hills Community Association.[citat

13 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

Maybe your both right. Maybe new Bearden was City and old Bearden County. I know it was a city school when I was in high school. It was built about the time of West Town and the Interstate. 

9 hours ago, HSfootballan said:

See Below: Bearden High School was founded in 1939. The area of Bearden was not annexed into the city until 1962. I was there. I lived in the county on the north side of Sutherland Ave. and was zoned for Bearden. Because of the annexation, I was allowed to go elswhere to high school if I so chose or could go to Bearden.

Bearden High School (Tennessee)

Bearden High School is a Knox CountyTennesseehigh school located in the Bearden area in the city of Knoxville.[2]

The school was founded in 1939.[3] It was named for the family of Marcus De LaFayette Bearden, a farmer who served as a captain in the Union Army during the Civil War.[4]

West Knoxville

West Knoxville is a section of Knoxville, Tennessee, west of the city's downtown area. It stretches from Sequoyah Hills on the east to the city's border with Farragut on the west. West Knoxville is concentrated around Kingston Pike (US-70/US-11), and along with Sequoyah Hills includes the neighborhoods of Lyons View, Forest Hills, BeardenWest Hills, Westmoreland Heights, Cedar Bluff, and Ebenezer.[1][2]

"West Knoxville" originally referred to the area immediately west of Second Creek, i.e., what is now Fort Sanders and the University of Tennessee (UT) campus, which were incorporated as the City of West Knoxville in 1888.[3] This city was annexed by Knoxville in 1897, and Fort Sanders and UT are now part of downtown Knoxville.[4] Continued improvements along Kingston Pike, namely the paving of the road to the county line in 1892[3] and the laying of trolley tracks to Lyon's View Pike in 1913, encouraged westward expansion.[5] Sequoyah Hills and Lyon's View Pike were annexed in 1917, and Bearden and West Hills were annexed in 1962.

West Knoxville's first economic boom came in the 1920s and 1930s, when Kingston Pike was part of a merged section of two popular cross-country tourist routes, the Dixie Highway and the Lee Highway.[6] In recent decades, the construction of dozens of shopping plazas in West Knoxville, beginning with Western Plaza in 1957, and the completion of West Town Mall in 1972, caused Knoxville's primary retail corridor to shift from downtown Knoxville to Kingston Pike, where it remains.[7] West Knoxville's most recent major shopping complex, the 358-acre (145 ha) Turkey Creek, opened in 2002.[8]

Throughout the 20th century, West Knoxville was settled by affluent Knoxvillians and newcomers to the Knoxville area, many of whom held more liberal political views than residents in other parts of the city.[8] The annexation of large parts of West Knoxville in 1962 brought into the city large numbers of voters who helped elect one of Knoxville's most progressive city councils in decades in 1964.[8] West Knoxville is also known for aggressive neighborhood advocacy groups, such as the Kingston Pike Sequoyah Hills Association and the West Hills Community Association.[citat

I might just be right. When the new building (Bearden) was built that's when all the West Hills/I-40/West Town Mall construction was going on. Planned in the mid to late 1960's. Finished up in the 1970's. Yep, I'm calling it.