Top 10 AAA

fooseball95

49 minutes ago, cbg said:

Is it true that both Horst and Bates did not attend Beech but were students at Station Camp?  The rumor is that Station Camp will be adding wrestling in 2019-2020 and the TSSAA has already told both families they will not be grandfathered and will be expected to wrestle for Station Camp when they begin a wrestling program.  

I was told this was the case for Horst, not sure about Bates

9 hours ago, cbg said:

Is it true that both Horst and Bates did not attend Beech but were students at Station Camp?  The rumor is that Station Camp will be adding wrestling in 2019-2020 and the TSSAA has already told both families they will not be grandfathered and will be expected to wrestle for Station Camp when they begin a wrestling program.  

They both attended Station Camp. I know the grandfathering thing is true for Horst. I would assume it’s the same for Bates. Both have left the Beech program to avoid that. 

17 hours ago, cbg said:

Noah and Trey both attend Baylor now. 

7 hours ago, Bump11 said:

They both attended Station Camp. I know the grandfathering thing is true for Horst. I would assume it’s the same for Bates. Both have left the Beech program to avoid that. 

Beech and Station Camp have had a Co-op for quite a few years now. As for station camp getting a team, I am not sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, CoachKramer said:

One Word - BEECH

Coach are you are saying that Beech is able to lose two (2) returning state champions after transferring to The Baylor School and still compete for a state championship this season?  What I am shocked about is that people have not gone crazy about is Baylor being able to pluck any kid from anywhere and that kid is eligible immediately due to Baylor being a boarding school.  Folks if Baylor and McCallie want to get serious about athletics and continue to pluck kids from all over the country all the other schools in Tennessee will be no better than the 3rd best team in Tennessee.  

5 hours ago, Hamblin said:

Have to agree with cbg.

All the TSSAA needs to do is  the following:

1.  Allow every student athlete one free transfer away from any school to any school after they begin the 9th grade without any questions being ask.  This would eliminate 95% of the problems that the TSSAA has at the present time.

2.  If a 2nd transfer takes place the family must make a physical move and actually live in the zone of the school transferred into.  If the 2nd transfer is to a private school the family must live 30 miles from the school.

Both of these rules would help to cleanup everything and every school would have similar advantages

Edited by cbg

3 hours ago, cbg said:

All the TSSAA needs to do is  the following:

1.  Allow every student athlete one free transfer away from any school to any school after they begin the 9th grade without any questions being ask.  This would eliminate 95% of the problems that the TSSAA has at the present time.

2.  If a 2nd transfer takes place the family must make a physical move and actually live in the zone of the school transferred into.  If the 2nd transfer is to a private school the family must live 30 miles from the school.

Both of these rules would help to cleanup everything and every school would have similar advantages

What is the current rule?

For the transfer rules to change, we need to fully understand what is allowed in every county. Some counties will offer open enrollment from what I understand. (If you live in the county you may attend any school in that county.)  If not open enrollment then a student may choose to take a class such as Food Prep or Cooking that one school may offer that the zoned school may not offer. The zoned principal signs to release the student and the recieving principal signs to accept them. Out of county tuition may still be paid to a public school if a student doesn't live and that county or even the state. (GA).  It is bigger than just transfer students. 

I understand the need to create a balance and not stack teams, but at some point we need to ask "what is the best for that kid?"  This thread and others are very heavy on what is best for the TEAM or even the coach?  

4 hours ago, GodFamilyWrestling said:

For the transfer rules to change, we need to fully understand what is allowed in every county. Some counties will offer open enrollment from what I understand. (If you live in the county you may attend any school in that county.)  If not open enrollment then a student may choose to take a class such as Food Prep or Cooking that one school may offer that the zoned school may not offer. The zoned principal signs to release the student and the recieving principal signs to accept them. Out of county tuition may still be paid to a public school if a student doesn't live and that county or even the state. (GA).  It is bigger than just transfer students. 

I understand the need to create a balance and not stack teams, but at some point we need to ask "what is the best for that kid?"  This thread and others are very heavy on what is best for the TEAM or even the coach?  

My proposal is all about the kids and families.  Let's be honest and tell the truth.  The TSSAA transfer rules were written in the 60's when most all kids lived with both the mother and father but those rules have been out of date for decades.  Today a kid may begin the 9th grade living with mom but for whatever reason the student must move in with a grandmother.  The grandmother then dies and the student must now move in with an uncle.  You get the direction this is going that all kids are not raised in an environment like LEAVE IT TO BEAVER by June and Ward Cleaver.  A majority of the time the kids need athletics (how many kids get in trouble while on an athletic field or in a gym) much more than athletics need the kids.  I could care less where the kid is zoned even, if it's to a school on Mars.  Give each student one free transfer without any questions being ask.  Any transfers after that must be accompanied by a legitimate family change of address.  Now do I personally feel that the TSSAA would consider my proposal and the answer would be NO.  They are not smart enough to eliminate most of their workload and you would have schools scared that Little Johnny would leave his school and transfer to a school down the road and beat them.  The real issue is that the adults that make the decisions are for the most part jealous individuals that are not in this for the very people they represent and that being the student athletes.  

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1

I have no problem with Baylor "plucking" the good wrestlers to their program. Their program is smart getting these two young athletes on their team and the wrestlers will greatly benefit for the move. I suspect these two kids are aspiring to wrestle in college. Baylor has an amazing networking pipeline. It's a win-win for team and wrestlers.

CBG is correct in saying kids need athletics more than athletics need kids. It appears kids have become less interested in participating in sports in general. So the ones who do have a passion for a sport and want to excel should be able to make at least one transfer penalty free especially if better instruction, opportunities or college possibilities are being offered.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it was a blow to Beech. It's unfortunate. It was unfortunate for Lundy and Wysong last year. They transferred to Cleveland and both sat out their junior years.  Although Lundy has signed with UTC and appears to be doing well and Wysong transferred to McCallie for his senior year, think about how much mat time they lost not wrestling with the #1 team in the state last year. 

Collectively, TN is behind in the sport of wrestling. A lot needs to be done for our athletes to become competitive on a national level. So until we make great strides to do so, we should support those kids who are trying to better their wrestling resumes.  

On 10/27/2018 at 7:15 AM, cbg said:

Coach are you are saying that Beech is able to lose two (2) returning state champions after transferring to The Baylor School and still compete for a state championship this season?  What I am shocked about is that people have not gone crazy about is Baylor being able to pluck any kid from anywhere and that kid is eligible immediately due to Baylor being a boarding school.  Folks if Baylor and McCallie want to get serious about athletics and continue to pluck kids from all over the country all the other schools in Tennessee will be no better than the 3rd best team in Tennessee.  

Im just getting my Good Friend Jeff riled up

• Like 1