Hawks host Dawgs 2018

RebelAtHeart

It seems the consensus from Friday night is that DB and it's program just sucks.  Not many talking about the major momentum swing and domination from the Hawks from the 2nd quarter on in J Fred Stadium - on both sides of the ball.  Bearden used 47 minutes and 52 seconds to catch up and beat DB in the same setting.  I think the Dawgs and Hawks look very similar on paper especially comparing strengths and weaknesses.  Can the Dawgs lock down their number 1 seed?  Can the Hawks keep the momentum and setup a district champ game with the Ads?  Expect it to be a very physical game with both teams hoping to delay their run in with mighty Murvail in the post-season - and bring home the district title.

Hawks have thrived and died on the passing game this year.  Running game seems to be getting better.  Even though we struggled to stop the run at Jeff Co and Science Hill... found a way to slow down #30 for DB after a couple series.  Very impressed by Bearden in game against Farragut.  I saw some similarities in the HVA and BHS teams.  Think this one will likely come down to the final series like the Farragut game.

15 hours ago, billygoat said:

If Bearden is clicking on all cylinders, I like them by a couple TD's.  Yes...they dinked and dunked their way down the field because that's what Farragut was giving them defensively.  But, they can stretch the field when they need to.  

I think HVA is similar... when they are hot they are hard to stop, but unfortunately they are not always hot.  Hoping it is a well fought, injury free battle.  And for both Bearden and HVA's sake... I hope it is not impacted by any controversial calls late in the game. :thumb:

6 hours ago, RebelAtHeart said:

I think HVA is similar... when they are hot they are hard to stop, but unfortunately they are not always hot.  Hoping it is a well fought, injury free battle.  And for both Bearden and HVA's sake... I hope it is not impacted by any controversial calls late in the game. :thumb:

Agree...haven't seen HVA play this year, but they are usually a pretty talented bunch.  

BHS and HVA both have physical QB's that seem to prefer to run but can beat you in the air too.  Both have dangerous running backs that can make big plays.  Both have strong defenses that have kept them in the hunt all year.  Both have upset Farragut in their last outings (HVA end of last year).

In the series, HVA leads 5 to 3.  Only HVA has been able to win the road game (twice) in this series even though they are only about 7 miles apart.

So with an even match and a district title on the line for both, I give the home field advantage as the difference in this one.

HVA 27  BHS 24

Matches is back with a prediction. I was laughed at early in the year when I said the Dogs would dominate. I made them eat crow. I nearly got laughed off the T completely when I said the Dogs would shut down South Doyle. I made them eat crow. They said DB wouldn't even be close. I made them eat crow. I have been tarred and feathered multiple times but I make them eat crow. Like a sprained ankle those Dogs are nothing to play with. That D is mean and that Offense gets teams in the corner and pounds the midsection like prizefighters until they break your spirit. The Dogs have made the athletes at both Farragut and South Doyle irrelevant. They have guys with no flash and hit 'athletes' in the mouth. Like all football games this is decided at the line scrimmage. The Hawks offensive line looks like they should get out of a clown car to get to games. The Dogs front will abuse them, offensively and defensively. HVA has had to dig down just to win a few games none of which have a winning record by the way, well if they try to dig down against Bearden they'll find out they don't have a big enough shovel. I like Bearden in this one 34 - 7. I'll hang up and listen.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, matchesmalone2 said:

Matches is back with a prediction. I was laughed at early in the year when I said the Dogs would dominate. I made them eat crow. I nearly got laughed off the T completely when I said the Dogs would shut down South Doyle. I made them eat crow. They said DB wouldn't even be close. I made them eat crow. I have been tarred and feathered multiple times but I make them eat crow. Like a sprained ankle those Dogs are nothing to play with. That D is mean and that Offense gets teams in the corner and pounds the midsection like prizefighters until they break your spirit. The Dogs have made the athletes at both Farragut and South Doyle irrelevant. They have guys with no flash and hit 'athletes' in the mouth. Like all football games this is decided at the line scrimmage. The Hawks offensive line looks like they should get out of a clown car to get to games. The Dogs front will abuse them, offensively and defensively. HVA has had to dig down just to win a few games none of which have a winning record by the way, well if they try to dig down against Bearden they'll find out they don't have a big enough shovel. I like Bearden in this one 34 - 7. I'll hang up and listen.

Matches... you can go back and see that I was aligned with you regarding BHS vs. SD earlier in the season.  I too saw their potential and I admit this one scares me for the Hawks this week.  But to be the man... you gotta beat the man!  I assume your comment about digging to win must refer to the Jeff Co game.  HVA's first half after a bye week looked like Jeff Co's field that night... flat, slow, and sloppy as they spotted Jeff Co a 21-7 halftime lead.  Second half was a totally different team and they whipped them Patriots 31-14 to ultimately win the game.  I've said this from early in the season... this HVA team is volatile, unpredictable, and packed with potential.  So if the Hawks play team ball for 48 minutes, I think this will be one heck of a game!  However, if that 1st-quarter-Jeff-Co-game-team shows up Friday night at the Nest - it could end up the beat down you predict. 

Looking at head to heads... BHS vs West ends 9-0 where Hawks win 15-12.  BHS vs. DB (at DB) ends 33-30 where Hawks win 35-17 (also at DB).  Both lost to Science Hill (BHS 28-21 and HVA 17-3).  And then they both beat Jeff Co (BHS 28-0 and HVA 38-35) but I already splained this one.  I hope you are wrong cause I would like to see a closer game plus I am rooting for them Hawks to win it!  My ciphering puts this one as an instant classic, but we shall see.  That's why they play! #anygivenfridaynight

• Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 1:20 PM, matchesmalone2 said:

SD not that good. Neither is BHS. BHS has a hard time playing a good team after winning. HVA has the shovel, wheel barrow, sledge hammer,  rake, axe, what ever vs BHS. I think it is HVA winning 5 out of the last 7? Go Hawks.

I was very impressed by HVA's team.  It was obvious on the first possession they were ready and BHS were not.  HVA's coaches did a good job of exploiting BHS's at time over-pursuing defense.  Biggest surprise to me was BHS's seeming lack of willingness to go away from running the ball.  Their QB is one of the better I've seen this season and they have the ability to stretch the field.  

Anyway...great win for HVA, and good luck to both teams in the playoffs.  I'll go back to eating the rest of my crow now!