Dobyns Bennett

kingindian33

1 hour ago, kingindian33 said:

Well I don't know if you a Fan of DB and have followed the tradtion of being at the games but this is not ME , this is about the players that experience this everyday ... more I could speak about but I'm not bringing up on this thread ! 

Simply put every die hard Fan at DB has seen the Football program go down hill in the last several years ... 

half the staduim leaves after half (band fans ) , even the admin .... Do you go to watch a band under the lights on a Friday night ? No you go to watch football but at DB you have a band director making 6 figures and a coach making 5 and it's a middle to low 5 !! Now like I said if you have been following DB football then you would see what the fans have been seeing for years ... Not only that but the players are making comments about the stands emptying after half ... AD  let the program down when (The national search ) - was not a search ... 

Kingindian33 that reminds me of a game between Maryville at Clinton maybe ten years ago I went to and I had to set on the home side and after halftime 80% of the fans left. Never seen anything like it in my life. I remember catching at least five little plastic footballs the cheerleaders throw into the stands because there was no one left to throw them to. The old saying "What comes around goes around" seems to be what is happening up there to the people in charge and the true fans and players are the ones getting hurt. I really feel for you guys having to go through that because I do know you all have the players to win big. 

26 minutes ago, ocac said:

Good point.  Duly noted.  I am speaking on an historical context.  

No problem!    You actually bring up a good point of debate though....   I have always been a little on the fence on the whole argument that "playing better teams makes you better".      If that is the case then DB should be able to hang with the Titans at this point after the brutal schedule they have played.    I remember times when Boone was getting our heads beat in every game, we end up 2-8, but by that logic we should be rolling through the playoffs.   And of course that doesn't happen.     Well this is another topic for another thread I suppose..

45 minutes ago, RebelAtHeart said:

......  I say fire them all... install Waco, Batman, and even Blazer in there as interim staff.  Guaranteed they at least know what the problems are to be fixed. #cleanhouse

YES!!!     I would LOVE to coach with these guys, but we have to add BVD as well.    I can see it now.... Waco you got the offense, Batman has the defense, BVD you get special teams, Blazer..... you go get us some coffee and doughnuts..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kingindian33 said:

If true there are Some major problems going on in the football program .... 

From a parent of a football player 

"Players tried having a meeting but was shut down by coaches" .... Is this allowed in High School anyway ?

"players are quitting "

"parents are saying they are going to transfer there kids if change is not made "

this is coming from a parent 

DB Football - Real Talk (FB) 

Anyone heard of any of this or anything else 

"If true" ???   Would this parent of a football player lie about it?  What players have quit?  I'm not saying it's not happening but seems a little odd that they've gone the whole season and just now realized that maybe the coaching staff might be coaching at the middle school level. Either way if it is true their wasting their time because the "powers that be" don't give a flying flip what the players/parents/fans or anybody else thinks. Their coming back with the same staff next year. Book it.

54 minutes ago, RebelAtHeart said:

After the HVA game Friday we talked to several kids and parents from DB that we did life with and knew while living in Kingsport for about 5 years (and a handful that I knew when I grew up there).  There was an obvious frustration with the new coaching staff, the way they came into power, and the untraditional product that they were producing.  I heard a couple of them debating about what they will do next year.  The senior parents were frustrated that their kids were missing out on some college opportunities because of the debacle.  One dad mentioned how Clark had a similar team and similar schedule last year with very different results.  Unprovoked they all complained about the halftime-band-parent-evacuation.  Though I presume many of the football parents use the facilities and hit the concession stand at halftime, I would also assume it isn't to demean the band.  Most of them appear to appreciate, respect, and support the band... doesn't seem unreasonable for the band peeps to return the favor by sticking around until the 4th quarter.

I know I piled on after the game this week, but as the dust has settled and HVA moves on... I am actually sad to see this bastion of tradition and dominance crumble in to ruins.  I am mostly sad for all the families and kids impacted by what appears to be an avoidable mess.  The one common theme we heard Friday was that the current state of trouble started with the AD and the "search" committee and went down hill from there.

DB has huge linemen, great running backs, a top-notch QB, plenty of capable athletes to spread on both sides of the ball, facilities to be envied, proud tradition, and a community that used to worship them - some still do.  The major problem I witnessed Friday night is that this coaching staff seems to operate on about a 5th grade to middle school level when it comes to play calling, game-time adjustments, and creativity.  I say fire them all... install Waco, Batman, and even Blazer in there as interim staff.  Guaranteed they at least know what the problems are to be fixed. #cleanhouse

Whoa Nellie ! If there is a little bit of Martial Arts or maybe a little bit of weight training,I might know enough to get out of the rain.As for the Weight training,I know several that have forgot more then most in this area and those fort Patrick henry dam fools would hire dumb and dumber before they would hire somebody that .I still say there are some good coaches on this staff but the system as a whole is screwed up.

Sometimes, when I hear 'fans' complaining about coaching, I wonder is it possible, could it possibly be, not that you will accept it, that your kids just aren't as talented as their competition??  (*Hint - they're not)

I personally don't think Dobyns Bennett will EVER be better than a .500 team again, because they are now playing schools of their own size. Talent in Kingsport will not be better than talent in Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Maryville, etc.  I'm afraid you're destined for perpetual mediocrity. 

But keep blaming the coaches.  You don't know what you have in the AD and HC there. Put your HC at North or South, and both those programs improve dramatically. The AD would be a huge upgrade for South.  Personally, I'd like to see HC JC at the new Sullivan County school, because there isn't a single coach in the Sullivan County school system now that needs to continue coaching at the new school. The guy deserves 6 figures. 

Chew on dat, Indian "Faithful".

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, blazer1set said:

YES!!!     I would LOVE to coach with these guys, but we have to add BVD as well.    I can see it now.... Waco you got the offense, Batman has the defense, BVD you get special teams, Blazer..... you go get us some coffee and doughnuts..

I'm in...

2 hours ago, Pudding said:

Sometimes, when I hear 'fans' complaining about coaching, I wonder is it possible, could it possibly be, not that you will accept it, that your kids just aren't as talented as their competition??  (*Hint - they're not)

I personally don't think Dobyns Bennett will EVER be better than a .500 team again, because they are now playing schools of their own size. Talent in Kingsport will not be better than talent in Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Maryville, etc.  I'm afraid you're destined for perpetual mediocrity. 

But keep blaming the coaches.  You don't know what you have in the AD and HC there. Put your HC at North or South, and both those programs improve dramatically. The AD would be a huge upgrade for South.  Personally, I'd like to see HC JC at the new Sullivan County school, because there isn't a single coach in the Sullivan County school system now that needs to continue coaching at the new school. The guy deserves 6 figures. 

Chew on dat, Indian "Faithful".

Absolutely the dumbest post I've read on here this year. Get back with us when you get a clue. Dang.

23 hours ago, blazer1set said:

No problem!    You actually bring up a good point of debate though....   I have always been a little on the fence on the whole argument that "playing better teams makes you better".      If that is the case then DB should be able to hang with the Titans at this point after the brutal schedule they have played.    I remember times when Boone was getting our heads beat in every game, we end up 2-8, but by that logic we should be rolling through the playoffs.   And of course that doesn't happen.     Well this is another topic for another thread I suppose..

If you have the kids, parents,community & admin buy in that record doesn't matter as long as you reach the playoffs the Team will be so much better playing better competition. Last year DB had a rough start and hit their stride at the end of the season and playoffs. SHHS was the opposite played well early and didn't finish strong against Jeff County but played a very good playoff game that could have gone either way. This year SHHS is playing better going into the playoffs with DB struggling at the end. The competition we have faced each week has made us much better even though loosing is very tough for everyone. I would much rather have the 4-5 record we have going into tonight's game than being 8-1 and won 3 cupcake games by 40. We are a much better team with the tough schedule. SHHS and DB has 2 of the toughest schedules in the state. 

DB missed the boat when they didn't hire a very successful local coach that wanted the job.  Sure he may have upset the apple cart & good ole boys but they would be winning lots of games in a few years.  No one knows what these coaches go thru in today's world dealing with all they do with kids, parents etc. I don't believe many of us would do it for what they are paid and all the grief they receive.