Dobyns Bennett

kingindian33

On 10/18/2018 at 2:30 PM, Red Rebels said:

Everybody on the team ought to transfer to Sullivan North. 

I would like to have seen all of the players that started out their 9th grade at DB 5 years ago playing as seniors at North last year.Robbie  would have coached a state championship team that probably would have been compared with the best teams no matter the classification,just as my Devils ,Alcoa,Maryville and all the best teams are this year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Absolutely the dumbest post I've read on here this year. Get back with us when you get a clue. Dang.

Wait and see if history does not prove me right. Waco.  I've said something that none of you want to hear in Kingsport.  You just don't have the talent to compete with competition you play as a huge high school. It's consistently been that way.  You do recall people saying "one and done", right?  That was back when you didn't have to play other schools at your enrollment level. Now you lose half or more of your games and are lucky to make the playoffs. Sorry you think I'm dumb.  Deep down, you all know it. You can feel it.  Maybe you should try supporting coaches and ADs that are really good.  

1 hour ago, Pudding said:

Wait and see if history does not prove me right. Waco.  I've said something that none of you want to hear in Kingsport.  You just don't have the talent to compete with competition you play as a huge high school. It's consistently been that way.  You do recall people saying "one and done", right?  That was back when you didn't have to play other schools at your enrollment level. Now you lose half or more of your games and are lucky to make the playoffs. Sorry you think I'm dumb.  Deep down, you all know it. You can feel it.  Maybe you should try supporting coaches and ADs that are really good.  

So you’re saying DB will only win half their Games ... but the Coaches and ADs are REALLY GOOD...  a little confusing 

On 10/18/2018 at 10:43 AM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

If you produce results you should be paid accordingly whether you teach music or coach a sport don’t matter. One is not more important than the other. Produce and get paid. It’s that simple. 

Agree but if you have 380 plus kids in the band and their family members are eating up the majority of the season tickets, at least be respectful to the football team and don’t walk out after your kid Performs at halftime! 

1 hour ago, IndianNation01 said:

Agree but if you have 380 plus kids in the band and their family members are eating up the majority of the season tickets, at least be respectful to the football team and don’t walk out after your kid Performs at halftime! 

That’s one way to look at it. But there is always two sides to everything look at the flip side. Let’s be honest. The band parents come to the football games to see their kids just like the football parents do. And when they show they are buying tickets and concessions which is no doubt a huge benefit to the school. How many football parents are showing up at the band competitions and supporting the band. I would say zero unless that parent has multiple kids and some play football and others do band. So on the flip side the band gets zero benefit from the football team. Seems like the football team gets the better end of the stick by far. 

Having said all all that I am a long time band director/music teacher in Tennessee. I don’t know anything about the culture in Dobyns-Bennett. I just know that you can’t fault band parents for leaving after halftime just like you can’t fault football parents for not showing up at band competitions. At the end of the day parents just want to support their kids. 

2 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

That’s one way to look at it. But there is always two sides to everything look at the flip side. Let’s be honest. The band parents come to the football games to see their kids just like the football parents do. And when they show they are buying tickets and concessions which is no doubt a huge benefit to the school. How many football parents are showing up at the band competitions and supporting the band. I would say zero unless that parent has multiple kids and some play football and others do band. So on the flip side the band gets zero benefit from the football team. Seems like the football team gets the better end of the stick by far. 

Having said all all that I am a long time band director/music teacher in Tennessee. I don’t know anything about the culture in Dobyns-Bennett. I just know that you can’t fault band parents for leaving after halftime just like you can’t fault football parents for not showing up at band competitions. At the end of the day parents just want to support their kids. 

I would have never guessed your a band director.DB has a great band that knows not to play when DB has the ball these days.Halftimes are great and it makes us all proud that a local band gets national recognition . Your right, I never went to watch a band competition as a football parent or as a football fan.Same as when the playoffs came around and the bands were gone to competitions with those parents.I went to the playoff games of either DB , my school Greeneville  or other local schools because I'm a football fan and not a band fan.As for the band parents leaving after halftime,it was always great because I didn't have to hear all the conversations about everything other then football and it gave us more space. Simply put,they could give two dams about a football team and I could give two dams if they were there or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

The difference is, they are at a football game performing, not a competition.  The football parents and team are not at the competitions.  If they were, I would expect the same from them! We love our band and stay stead fast at halftime to watch them. The atmosphere is amazing between the two. They are great!   However, if your gonna buy and take up over half the seats at a football game, then stay and support the team. The kids see the fans leaving! I’ve heard them talk about it many, many times!  

Oh, one more thing. Our Band reaps every dime from the concessions. 

2 hours ago, IndianNation01 said:

The difference is, they are at a football game performing, not a competition.  The football parents and team are not at the competitions.  If they were, I would expect the same from them! We love our band and stay stead fast at halftime to watch them. The atmosphere is amazing between the two. They are great!   However, if your gonna buy and take up over half the seats at a football game, then stay and support the team. The kids see the fans leaving! I’ve heard them talk about it many, many times!  

Oh, one more thing. Our Band reaps every dime from the concessions. 

We will just have to agree to disagree. I respect your opinion though. And I said earlier that the band coming and buying tickets benefits the football team and school. You mentioned that the band gets all the concessions. (And they should because I’m sure it is all band parents working the concessions). The ticket sales do benefit the football team and the band working the concessions benefits the school because that is money in funding the school does not have to provide that can go elsewhere. But I won’t say anything else about band cause I know this is a football thread. Just had to put in my 2 cents. 

"I was actually asking a question in the main post " ... I was not saying that this is happening , I was saying "I have heard " and actually I have read this on FB aswell ! 

DB has the talent in Kingsport , the closest year that I can remember is in 2012 - Do I think another coach with rich coaching skills could have produced a gold ball, or got to the State  .... Maybe !  

My point is DB had a chance , a chance to hire a coach with rich coaching skills , yet the powers to be probably knew well before "their National Search " that it would be a good ole boy .....

Great coaches are just "great coaches " ... they Develop ! Year after year we see the same mistakes (especially with the D backs) .... yet it continues to be the same problem ! 

How many games has DB lost when leading by atleast 2.5 TDs  in the last 5 years (a lot ) .... yet it continues to happen ! 

Its starts off with conditioning (sucks at DB ) , weights (sucks at DB) , practices , coaching etc. .......

the powers to be are content at DB , they have a Coach they know  and a Coach that kept the staff that obviously has problems teaching skills in several positions that we have seen suffer for sometime now ! 

We had had a great coach with a proven record , a coach elsewhere with ties to DB , that was interviewd but was refused because he wanted to bring in some new staff .... Would he have been the man to turn this around , we don't know . But we do know that the current staff lacks the ability in several positions to teach (same coaches for along time )  These kids should have the chance to be developed ... they should have the ability to go to a College and play , but if they don't get the chance to showcase their abilitys , wether it be play calling , teaching , conditioning etc. , then they won't have that ability to continue on and it's not fair to the Kids and the parents !

Fact :  did you know that in 2012 , 3 of DB players took it on themselves to do sprints , run with parachutes, workout at home , etc. .....Now this was late nights , nights when most kids would be out and about . 

I was told by one of their parents that they felt like they were not getting a workout and that they took it up on theirselves to become faster and stronger !! 

***I think if the fans  could see improvement in areas , winning  Verse giving up big leads  , coaches not letting up , conservative calling to the point every fan knows what's getting ready to happen , then fans would see change  but it's not being seen and that why so many are upset about the State of DB Football *****

Few years back DB hires one of the best Band Directors in the country (he gets what he wants ((a fully paved , striped football field )) ) and all of his accomplishments are announced for a minute during football games ..... Yes he had some say in the addition to the football staduim ! ......If He was to leave today they would , without a question do a "nationall search " for another best in the country and get them !!!

How is it fair that the band kids get the best yet Football kids don't  ?????  I guess this is a question that many don't understand .... 

Edited by kingindian33

KingIndian, you are right about the current state of things. They stated that building the field house would allow every player to be at workouts at the same time and it was necessary to have the field house to compete for championships. However, since the field house has been built we have only went to a quarterfinal once. Again millions were spent to put turf down and build a upper deck, that is half empty. However, the results have gotten worse with each upgrade. If DB is truly serious about its program it is time to get a staff that goes with the upgrades that have been made. If they are not serious about the program, then stop wasting the cities money on useless upgrades.

Edited by IndiansForLife