Dobyns Bennett

kingindian33

On 12/7/2018 at 8:29 AM, DevilMan03 said:

A687E3E4-5EE1-4999-A408-A5E82DE90DAA.thumb.jpeg.29d294000160e2fb4c099ea12ce51c59.jpegLooks like Db dropped Greeneville week 1 for Tennessee High. Ballard had commented at end of season we kept Them. 

Greenville has a lot of talent coming back and will contend for another state title. 

I was talking to a person with connections to Kpt school system inside connections.  "They" hinted that something may be up with Ballard and possibly the DB head coach position.  Anybody heard anything? They covered by saying that anything is just speculation. Now that he has resigned, sure can promote speculation that something has been up for a while. 

49 minutes ago, DBGRAD70 said:

I was talking to a person with connections to Kpt school system inside connections.  "They" hinted that something may be up with Ballard and possibly the DB head coach position.  Anybody heard anything? They covered by saying that anything is just speculation. Now that he has resigned, sure can promote speculation that something has been up for a while. 

When H-E-double L freezes over lol.  To start with Ballard is a multiple state championship winning coach so he has to be a pretty smart cookie as to how to win state championships. So that also means he would be smart enough to know he would have to clean house at DB to even start the process. That will never happen because the "good ole boy" club controls that system from top to bottom. Ballard with the current coaching staff at DB would do no better than what we've seen in the past 8 years or so. This is all wishful thinking and it will never happen. Unless H-E double L freezes over.

2 hours ago, DBGRAD70 said:

I've heard rumors that Kingsport is trying to lure Ballard to come there as a coordinator.  For him, it would be a significant raise over what he was making at Greeneville for a lot less stress.  I have no idea if there are is any truth to those rumors, though.

Joey Christian is a good man and a good coach who is beloved by the people at D-B, but he also has a lot of heat on him after last season.  The rumor goes that he'd turn the offense over to Ballard to run as he sees fit while Christian concentrates on managing and rebuilding the program.  D-B has high expectations, but I don't see them firing Coach Christian after a single bad year.

I posted about this in a Greeneville thread on the 4A board and the Greeneville fans scoffed, but I don't think those people realize how much better the pay would be in Kingsport and how D-B could easily exceed any "perks" he was getting in Greeneville.  His combined teaching and coaching salary alone would go up by a minimum of $12k a year and they have other ways of bumping his pay further, like putting him in a cushy administrative job.

He's been highly successful, but people don't get just how refreshing a lot of head coaches find it to get to step down and focus on coordinating or just coaching a position.  As head coach, you don't actually get to coach the players and do the stuff that makes it fun, so much as you turn into an administrator and manager who's constantly fundraising, schmoozing boosters, handling discipline, filling out mountains of paperwork, etc.  It's a grind and it burns guys out.

Almost every single head football coach I know misses the carefree days of being an assistant once they get the big job.  I'm not sure if Ballard feels that way, but doing all that he had to do in Greeneville to maintain that level of excellence had to be exhausting year after year.  The thing is, if you're a coach, you still want to coach.  The drive to coach doesn't just die when you leave a job, and here Kingsport can come calling with a big stack of cash and a cushy, less stressful gig that gives him more free time...

Again, these rumors could all be smoke, but I've heard them from several different people who have close ties to the Kingsport central office and the D-B Athletic Dept.  We'll see what happens.

Edited by BlueDevil58

3 hours ago, BlueDevil58 said:

I've heard rumors that Kingsport is trying to lure Ballard to come there as a coordinator.  For him, it would be a significant raise over what he was making at Greeneville for a lot less stress.  I have no idea if there are is any truth to those rumors, though.

Joey Christian is a good man and a good coach who is beloved by the people at D-B, but he also has a lot of heat on him after last season.  The rumor goes that he'd turn the offense over to Ballard to run as he sees fit while Christian concentrates on managing and rebuilding the program.  D-B has high expectations, but I don't see them firing Coach Christian after a single bad year.

I posted about this in a Greeneville thread on the 4A board and the Greeneville fans scoffed, but I don't think those people realize how much better the pay would be in Kingsport and how D-B could easily exceed any "perks" he was getting in Greeneville.  His combined teaching and coaching salary alone would go up by a minimum of $12k a year and they have other ways of bumping his pay further, like putting him in a cushy administrative job.

He's been highly successful, but people don't get just how refreshing a lot of head coaches find it to get to step down and focus on coordinating or just coaching a position.  As head coach, you don't actually get to coach the players and do the stuff that makes it fun, so much as you turn into an administrator and manager who's constantly fundraising, schmoozing boosters, handling discipline, filling out mountains of paperwork, etc.  It's a grind and it burns guys out.

Almost every single head football coach I know misses the carefree days of being an assistant once they get the big job.  I'm not sure if Ballard feels that way, but doing all that he had to do in Greeneville to maintain that level of excellence had to be exhausting year after year.  The thing is, if you're a coach, you still want to coach.  The drive to coach doesn't just die when you leave a job, and here Kingsport can come calling with a big stack of cash and a cushy, less stressful gig that gives him more free time...

Again, these rumors could all be smoke, but I've heard them from several different people who have close ties to the Kingsport central office and the D-B Athletic Dept.  We'll see what happens.

Doesn't make sense to me. I don't know what Ballard was making at Greeneville and I don't know what Christian was making last year. I just don't think DB could pay him more as a coordinator than he was making as a head coach at Greeneville. I don't see him stepping down from head coach to an assistant at what is actually a lesser program. If the rumor is him coming to run the offense that makes it even less believable. DB hasn't had much of a problem scoring points, their problem is that can't stop anybody on defense. All this and Ballard is obviously no dummy. He's not going to involve himself in the mess that is DB football.

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Doesn't make sense to me. I don't know what Ballard was making at Greeneville and I don't know what Christian was making last year. I just don't think DB could pay him more as a coordinator than he was making as a head coach at Greeneville. I don't see him stepping down from head coach to an assistant at what is actually a lesser program. If the rumor is him coming to run the offense that makes it even less believable. DB hasn't had much of a problem scoring points, their problem is that can't stop anybody on defense. All this and Ballard is obviously no dummy. He's not going to involve himself in the mess that is DB football.

No way Ballard goes to DB!!  He’s going to enjoy watching his son on Saturday’s and his twin daughters cheer and play sports.  If the guy wanted to coach he would have stayed at G-Vagus! 

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I tried to explain the same thing to BlueDevil58 on the Greeneville Thread.  I don't think he has a clue how much Ballard was making at Greeneville (No i'm not talking about what you will find as his teaching salary, head coaching salary, and assistant AD salary).  When your winning you don't have to smooze boosters and thats proven by how many sponsors Greeneville has for a small community. Heck we did raise 25k in a couple of weeks to pay for those Championship rings.  He thinks Ballard will have more time for his family being an assistant coach at DB :popcorneater:( Driving to Kingsport from his Farm in Western Greene County, Being able to watch Cade in NY or wherever Army is playing on Saturday while coaching a game on Friday and then being back to Break Down Film on Sunday, Seeing his twin daughters play sports, etc. ).  I believe you will see Caine Coach again once Cade has graduated from Army

• Upvote 1

Thanks 58 and Swipes for the dueling replies.  My guess is that Kpt has tried but will probably fail to get him.  Another part of the comments were that Kpt admin at the top has changed and that the newbie there is wanting to make changes that will allow a new HC to have more freedom to make things happen. The natives are very restless and are chomping at his ankles. Probably all wishful thinking.  We'll wait and see.

8 hours ago, DBGRAD70 said:

Thanks 58 and Swipes for the dueling replies.  My guess is that Kpt has tried but will probably fail to get him.  Another part of the comments were that Kpt admin at the top has changed and that the newbie there is wanting to make changes that will allow a new HC to have more freedom to make things happen. The natives are very restless and are chomping at his ankles. Probably all wishful thinking.  We'll wait and see.

LOL!  I haven't heard that but if true I'm betting the newbie won't last long.

Remember this, you guys said that coach Ballard was not going to step down. How'd that work out for you? Here's another thing that you failed to remember. Sitting right on the smack dab middle of Kingsport is Tennessee Eastman corporation who is a major sponsor of DB Athletics because the majority of their sons and daughters play for Dobyns-Bennett. If you think for one second that TEC does not have the funds available to pay Coach Ballard any amount he wants dream on. AND WE ALL KNOW IT'S A MONEY GAME ANYWAY BECAUSE NOBODY COACHES BECAUSE THEY ENJOY THE SPORT. It's about the dollar.

3 hours ago, tj3775 said:

Remember this, you guys said that coach Ballard was not going to step down. How'd that work out for you? Here's another thing that you failed to remember. Sitting right on the smack dab middle of Kingsport is Tennessee Eastman corporation who is a major sponsor of DB Athletics because the majority of their sons and daughters play for Dobyns-Bennett. If you think for one second that TEC does not have the funds available to pay Coach Ballard any amount he wants dream on. AND WE ALL KNOW IT'S A MONEY GAME ANYWAY BECAUSE NOBODY COACHES BECAUSE THEY ENJOY THE SPORT. It's about the dollar.

Yea like anyone could forget that god awful smell of Eastman.  If you think it was about money that he stepped down your a fool. I guess you forgot that Niswonger could have stroked him a check for whatever amount he wanted to also and not have to deal with what DB football has become. Maybe you all should have went after him harder when you all had your "Nation Wide" coaching search last year with those fat pockets of Eastman.  How would it look when Ballard as an assistant was making more than the head coach?  If you think for one min that a coach gets into coaching high school football in the state of TN for the money then you are  an idiot.  Answer me this how is becoming an assistant coach at DB going to help him spend more time with his family?  How is it going to be feasible to Coach a game on Friday, go to watch your son play at Army or where ever Army is playing on Saturday, and make it back for Film study on Sunday?  Like I said before once Cade Graduates from Army you will see Ballard coaching again will at be ad DB maybe who knows.

Edited by Swipes

lol, Everybody calm down. You do know that all this started by somebody saying they knew somebody that heard somebody else say it "could be" in the works. It doesn't get any weaker than that. I'll also add that there is not one single person that could possibly have any control of "Eastman money" that gives a flying flip about DB sports, football or any other sport. If that were the case you'd see DB winning state championships at the rate Maryville has been. DB sports is controlled by the "downtown crowd" (blue hairs) and the "good ole boys club" They have it locked down tight and no outsider is coming in to upset the setup. Clark ran the program all the way into the ground. I think Christian is actually a better coach than Clark even in his first year. But he is surrounded by a bunch of cardboard cut outs. DB football is dead and buried.