Dobyns Bennett

kingindian33

8 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

Never. They have had .500 season next to a sub .500 season on two occasions:

1950          2-8          1951          5-5

2015          4-7          2016          6-6

Great work!   So DB fans, take heart, this will be the year of the Tribe !!!

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 12:37 PM, blazer1set said:

You think the Vikings are going to be pretty good?   I just can't see them hanging with DB for 4 quarters.  I'm hoping we can get past them and get a shot at the playoffs.

I know that Tennessee High is normally pretty stout.  This is actually the first year I'll be following the Tennessee side on the gridiron.  So, what would your predictions be?

Just what little I know, I was thinking 5-5 looking at the schedule:

Wins:  Hardin Valley, Daniel Boone, Jefferson County, Morristown West, Science Hill

Losses:  Tennessee High, Oak Ridge, Bearden, Farragut, Alcoa

3 hours ago, SWVAHavokFan said:

I know that Tennessee High is normally pretty stout.  This is actually the first year I'll be following the Tennessee side on the gridiron.  So, what would your predictions be?

Just what little I know, I was thinking 5-5 looking at the schedule:

Wins:  Hardin Valley, Daniel Boone, Jefferson County, Morristown West, Science Hill

Losses:  Tennessee High, Oak Ridge, Bearden, Farragut, Alcoa

Move Tennessee High to the win column and you got it.   The Vikings have fared poorly against the Tribe in recent years, I think they won somewhere around 2009, but that's been about it.   I'm not sure Oak Ridge is a loss but we will have to wait until the season starts to see what they have.   There is a good possibility of DB going 7-3.

36 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Move Tennessee High to the win column and you got it.   The Vikings have fared poorly against the Tribe in recent years, I think they won somewhere around 2009, but that's been about it.   I'm not sure Oak Ridge is a loss but we will have to wait until the season starts to see what they have.   There is a good possibility of DB going 7-3.

I think DB is  replacing a lot to make it to 7-3.  All World Hicks graduated (He carried that team to 4 wins last year), Redwine, Bristol, Salyers, Starke, and now Browder is gone to Christ School.

I could see them going 6-4 but also could see them being 4-6 again

Hardin Valley, Tennessee High, Oak Ridge, Bearden, Farragut, Alcoa, and Science Hill will all be tough games for the Tribe

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Swipes said:

I think DB is  replacing a lot to make it to 7-3.  All World Hicks graduated (He carried that team to 4 wins last year), Redwine, Bristol, Salyers, Starke, and now Browder is gone to Christ School.

I could see them going 6-4 but also could see them being 4-6 again

Hardin Valley, Tennessee High, Oak Ridge, Bearden, Farragut, Alcoa, and Science Hill will all be tough games for the Tribe

I agree, it will not be easy, but 4-6 is just unfathomable.   As Red Rebels has pointed out above, DB has never had back to back losing seasons, so while the statistical probability is certainly not zero it has to be extremely close that the Tribe goes no less than 5-5.    DB lost a lot of seniors, true, but all schools lose a class of seniors each year.   As they say, we will just have to line it up, kick it off and see what happens.    Can't wait for HS football to begin

I just heard an interesting story about how the first Alcoa vs D-B game came about. There was a coaching convention and Athletic House had a hospitality suite set up at the hotel. The D-B representative and the Alcoa coach arm wrestled on the coffee table in the hospitality suite. The winner hosted the first game. I was told Jack Raby busted the D-B representative's knuckles and hosted the first game.  The guy telling the story used to work at Athletic House and was there.

Albert_Davis-1024x805.jpg

Albert Davis signs scholarship papers with the University of Tennessee in this 1967 photo. Seated with Davis, from left, are his father, Jefferson Davis, mother, Annabelle, and Alcoa coach Jack Raby. Standing at  center is Vols coach Doug Dickey. Photo courtesy of David Duggan

Edited by Red Rebels
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Red Rebels said:

I just heard an interesting story about how the first Alcoa vs D-B game came about. There was a coaching convention and Athletic House had a hospitality suite set up at the hotel. The D-B representative and the Alcoa coach arm wrestled on the coffee table in the hospitality suite. The winner hosted the first game. I was told Jack Raby busted the D-B representative's knuckles and hosted the first game.  The guy telling the story used to work at Athletic House and was there.

Albert_Davis-1024x805.jpg

Albert Davis signs scholarship papers with the University of Tennessee in this 1967 photo. Seated with Davis, from left, are his father, Jefferson Davis, mother, Annabelle, and Alcoa coach Jack Raby. Standing at  center is Vols coach Doug Dickey. Photo courtesy of David Duggan

Good story RR.Alcoa is something special,they can step on the field with most teams nomatter who they are.If they were 6A,you would probably see national championships on top of state championships.

15 hours ago, BatmanDB said:

Good story RR.Alcoa is something special,they can step on the field with most teams nomatter who they are.If they were 6A,you would probably see national championships on top of state championships.

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

I wouldn't go that far. 

If Alcoa was 6A, they'd still only have 3 wins vs the Rebs in the last 13 years

11 minutes ago, CU06 said:

If Alcoa was 6A, they'd still only have 3 wins vs the Rebs in the last 13 years

Thats debatable.  If Alcoa was 6a they also would be meeting the Rebels twice a year instead of once.  You can't say that well since they beat them in the regular season that they would be beat them in the Play-offs.  Oakland last year is a prime example of that

2 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Thats debatable.  If Alcoa was 6a they also would be meeting the Rebels twice a year instead of once.  You can't say that well since they beat them in the regular season that they would be beat them in the Play-offs.  Oakland last year is a prime example of that

True. But my point was to @BatmanDB that Alcoa wouldn't be winning national championships losing to Maryville every year in the regular season.