Dobyns Bennett

kingindian33

I seen the best of times and the worst of times as a parent with athletes in the Kingsport school system.Two of my boys went to Robinson and then DB.I've never had anything bad to say about Jeff and those guys at Robinson in different sports.There were several coaches at DB in different sports back then as there are now that I liked very well and if turned loose,I thought a couple could have helped the football program much more.

Edited by BatmanDB

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:31 PM, WaCoJaCo said:

I've lost interest. Put Maryville #1 and throw whoever in the other nine spots. 

Waco - When DB comes to Boone on Sept 27 we will be (hopefully) 2-3 and DB should be 2-2.   Both programs are down but that should make for a more even game.

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:58 PM, blazer1set said:

DB is going through a down time, all schools have that.   The Tribe will eventually bounce back.

DB will not "bounce back" until most of the school board, the AD, and practically all of the coaching staff are replaced. How long do you think that will take? It would have to happen in one swoop. Chances of that happening is ZERO. All the hot shots in Kingsport are okay with having a losing football team as long as they have the band to brag about. All they need is something to brag about and their happy.

Wow.... I will say fans (i guess) negative breeds negative results.  You have a historic program and great expectations should be expected. However, most times changes such as replacing a long time coach, programs go through tough transitions.  Not to mention the fact that DB hasn't watered down their schedule (Greenville, Oak Ridge, Alcoa, Farragut, and Science Hill) are all tough programs.  All of them are  (can be) state contenders in their perspective classifications. I think if you are patient and instill positive support change will come.  Most of the people complaining wasn't born the last time DB won a state championship (1960). Before taking on this type of scheduling, DB would finish 10-0 then lose when having to travel down 81 to Knoxville area. 

35 minutes ago, GIJoe said:

Wow.... I will say fans (i guess) negative breeds negative results.  You have a historic program and great expectations should be expected. However, most times changes such as replacing a long time coach, programs go through tough transitions.  Not to mention the fact that DB hasn't watered down their schedule (Greenville, Oak Ridge, Alcoa, Farragut, and Science Hill) are all tough programs.  All of them are  (can be) state contenders in their perspective classifications. I think if you are patient and instill positive support change will come.  Most of the people complaining wasn't born the last time DB won a state championship (1960). Before taking on this type of scheduling, DB would finish 10-0 then lose when having to travel down 81 to Knoxville area. 

The last time DB was voted a state championship. Apples and oranges. Not trying to diminish all their state championships, but that is not how it is done anymore since fall of 1969, 50 years ago. They are a historic program that has fallen on hard times.

4 hours ago, GIJoe said:

Correction: Nobody except for Elizabethton, "won" a state championship before 1969. They were "awarded" a state championship.  Thanks for attending my TED talk. 

1938-elizabethton-football-jpg.jpg

6z11mg.jpg 

4 hours ago, GIJoe said:

You need to get a clue before you post here. You know nothing about the DB football program. With the exception of Alcoa, DB has played the schools you listed for years. In past years (when Watson coached the defense) DB played those schools and went 10-0. Whats the difference now? Nobody knows how to coach defense. The proof is in the numbers. Check it out for yourself. The reason DB's record in the playoffs isn't so great is because Clark always went into the playoffs scared to death he was going to loose. So he did, by coaching scared and using conservative play calling.

• Like 1

The program is obviously down, and it may be some time before it is back where it needs to be.   At some point all schools go through a down time in every sports program.    Look back at some of the one-and-done state football champions, they have an amazing class of athletes or whatever that one magical year, then they slip back into mediocrity.   I have to think that DB will be back at some point, but it may not be soon.   Will there ever be a real house-cleaning in Kingsport?   Not likely, so the program will just have to fight through the GOB system.    But who knows, what if DB takes to the field this year with the "what have we got to lose" attitude and opens things up and surprises some people?    Never know, never know.....

4 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

You need to get a clue before you post here. You know nothing about the DB football program. With the exception of Alcoa, DB has played the schools you listed for years. In past years (when Watson coached the defense) DB played those schools and went 10-0. Whats the difference now? Nobody knows how to coach defense. The proof is in the numbers. Check it out for yourself. The reason DB's record in the playoffs isn't so great is because Clark always went into the playoffs scared to death he was going to loose. So he did, by coaching scared and using conservative play calling.

I do know they haven't won a state championship since 60s. So what standard are you holding current staffs to.  Just like DB may be down maybe those schools are up. Greenville hasn't always been where they're at now but this is where they are. It takes time. No program can sustain greatness. But doesn't meam they are not great. I.e. Alabama, ND, OSU

2 hours ago, GIJoe said:

I do know they haven't won a state championship since 60s. So what standard are you holding current staffs to.  Just like DB may be down maybe those schools are up. Greenville hasn't always been where they're at now but this is where they are. It takes time. No program can sustain greatness. But doesn't meam they are not great. I.e. Alabama, ND, OSU

Greeneville had a coaching and Culture change is what has made them into what they were today.  They also always played up a classification since the TSSAA went to 3 classifications until the 6 classification came out and they decided to stay in 4a were the tssaa put them. (Greeneville had some really talented teams under the 3 classification and 5 classification times but could never make it past the big red Machine in Maryville during that time).  Thats what Waco is talking about that needs to change at DB. Coaching and Culture. Start from the ground up (midget leagues all the way up to high school running the same systems from great coaches) Maryville, Alcoa, Greeneville all do this.  I would say they could be held to the recent past.  From 2000-2010 DB was 109-24 and made the Semi's twice, Quarters 3 times, and the 2nd round Twice, and 9 conference championships