Dobyns Bennett

kingindian33

Until DB gets it put back together, they would be wise to schedule as many local schools as possible.  There are 6 region games, so that leaves 4 games to pad the wins.   And yes, I know some fans are against playing weaker opponents just to get more W's, but there is a point where the program needs W's any way they can get them.    This year's out-of-region games are 2 locals (Boone, Tenn High) plus Alcoa and Oak Ridge.   Imagine how much better it would be to have Boone, Tenn High, Sullivan Central, Cherokee.  More W's would get more guys who are roaming the halls to try out for the team.   It always seems that winning breeds winning and losing breeds losing.   Now, is the GOB system going to ever dissolve?  Not likely, so in that case there has to be something else done to improve things.

23 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Until DB gets it put back together, they would be wise to schedule as many local schools as possible.  There are 6 region games, so that leaves 4 games to pad the wins.   And yes, I know some fans are against playing weaker opponents just to get more W's, but there is a point where the program needs W's any way they can get them.    This year's out-of-region games are 2 locals (Boone, Tenn High) plus Alcoa and Oak Ridge.   Imagine how much better it would be to have Boone, Tenn High, Sullivan Central, Cherokee.  More W's would get more guys who are roaming the halls to try out for the team.   It always seems that winning breeds winning and losing breeds losing.   Now, is the GOB system going to ever dissolve?  Not likely, so in that case there has to be something else done to improve things.

I didn't like it when Greeneville decided to play where they were supposed to be playing for years.I was wrong and along with the changes Swipes talked about,we now have a very successful program.DB is playing where they are supposed to be playing and nobody in Kingsport would take any pride from trying to pad the wins against teams they shouldn't be playing.There is no reason DB shouldn't be competitive with Oak Ridge,Alcoa or any other team on the schedule.Coach Christian and everyone at DB have to make whatever changes it will take to beat good conference teams and 6a teams in the playoffs.I'm not going to be surprised by whatever the win total is this year and that means even if it's winning the conference.Ha,and no I'm not drinking .

Edited by BatmanDevil

1 hour ago, BatmanDevil said:

I didn't like it when Greeneville decided to play where they were supposed to be playing for years.I was wrong and along with the changes Swipes talked about,we now have a very successful program.DB is playing where they are supposed to be playing and nobody in Kingsport would take any pride from trying to pad the wins against teams they shouldn't be playing.There is no reason DB shouldn't be competitive with Oak Ridge,Alcoa or any other team on the schedule.Coach Christian and everyone at DB have to make whatever changes it will take to beat good conference teams and 6a teams in the playoffs.I'm not going to be surprised by whatever the win total is this year and that means even if it's winning the conference.Ha,and no I'm not drinking .

Batman - I agree in that it is always better to beat good 6A teams, but according to many on here the DB offense has been decimated by graduation, and the defense is..... well, the defense.    Remember 2009-2014, DB played mostly local schools each year and pulled off some high win seasons.   There just seemed to be much more excitement back then.   But who knows, maybe you are right and fans are okay with 6A mediocrity.

8 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Batman - I agree in that it is always better to beat good 6A teams, but according to many on here the DB offense has been decimated by graduation, and the defense is..... well, the defense.    Remember 2009-2014, DB played mostly local schools each year and pulled off some high win seasons.   There just seemed to be much more excitement back then.   But who knows, maybe you are right and fans are okay with 6A mediocrity.

I remember 2009 very well, seems like about every local school had a great season and several were state ranked,even your boys at Boone were around the top 5.DB was going to Maryville at 5-5 for a first round game that we all knew was not going to  end well for the Tribe.The most unexplainable loss was after the 2008 team went 10-0 against a very similar big east conference they now play in and were ranked number 1 in the state going against a team that won a little over half their games in the first round.There is a 2008 big east championship ring about five feet from me right now, but that unexplainable loss really took away from what should have been a great memory for a lot of young men who deserved a better finish to their season .As a football parent,the  2009 loss was a hundred times easier to watch then the 2008 cluster that I've still not figured out how it could have happened.Yes,I was just kidding,anyone there that night knows how it happened.

Edited by BatmanDevil

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:50 AM, BatmanDevil said:

I remember 2009 very well, seems like about every local school had a great season and several were state ranked,even your boys at Boone were around the top 5.DB was going to Maryville at 5-5 for a first round game that we all knew was not going to  end well for the Tribe.The most unexplainable loss was after the 2008 team went 10-0 against a very similar big east conference they now play in and were ranked number 1 in the state going against a team that won a little over half their games in the first round.There is a 2008 big east championship ring about five feet from me right now, but that unexplainable loss really took away from what should have been a great memory for a lot of young men who deserved a better finish to their season .As a football parent,the  2009 loss was a hundred times easier to watch then the 2008 cluster that I've still not figured out how it could have happened.Yes,I was just kidding,anyone there that night knows how it happened.

Yeah we know how it happened. And that same guy is the architect of the current situation. I've been told that he still pulls a lot of strings.  Like I said before, they have this locked down. GOB first, Team last.

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:50 AM, BatmanDevil said:

.....The most unexplainable loss was after the 2008 team went 10-0 against a very similar big east conference they now play in and were ranked number 1 in the state going against a team that won a little over half their games in the first round.........

Do you think this was Clark's biggest debacle?

Waco,your probably thinking of William Blount  in 2006 .I think WB had injuries early and were better at seasons end.Either way the playoffs have not been good to DB and you can just about pull a year out of a hat except for the three should've would've could've years a couple decades ago now..Here is 2008

Date   Opponent   Result
 Thu Aug. 21 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif Tennessee

W 42-13
 Fri Aug. 29 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif William Blount

W 42-6
 Fri Sep. 5 icon-game12.gif at Bearden R

W 31-14
 Fri Sep. 12 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif at Oak Ridge

W 28-13
 Fri Sep. 19 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif Jefferson County R

W 28-6
 Fri Sep. 26 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif at Elizabethton

W 27-14
 Fri Oct. 10 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif Sevier County R

W 22-14
 Fri Oct. 17 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif Karns R

W 28-7
 Fri Oct. 24 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif at Campbell County R

W 28-6
 Fri Oct. 31 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif at Science Hill R

W 10-6
 Fri Nov. 7 7:00 PM icon-game12.gif McMinn County
5A Playoffs

L 24-28

1 hour ago, BatmanDevil said:

Waco,your probably thinking of William Blount  in 2006 .I think WB had injuries early and were better at seasons end.Either way the playoffs have not been good to DB and you can just about pull a year out of a hat except for the three should've would've could've years a couple decades ago now..Here is 2008

Date   Opponent   Result
 Thu Aug. 21 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif Tennessee

W 42-13
 Fri Aug. 29 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif William Blount

W 42-6
 Fri Sep. 5   icon-game12.gif at Bearden R

W 31-14
 Fri Sep. 12 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif at Oak Ridge

W 28-13
 Fri Sep. 19 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif Jefferson County R

W 28-6
 Fri Sep. 26 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif at Elizabethton

W 27-14
 Fri Oct. 10 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif Sevier County R

W 22-14
 Fri Oct. 17 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif Karns R

W 28-7
 Fri Oct. 24 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif at Campbell County R

W 28-6
 Fri Oct. 31 7:30 PM icon-game12.gif at Science Hill R

W 10-6
 Fri Nov. 7 7:00 PM icon-game12.gif McMinn County
5A Playoffs

L 24-28

The McMinn game.  The dumbest play call in football history at any level. And it happened right here in Kingsport. Clark should of been arrested. 

19 hours ago, catswild said:

I've got to ask...what was the situation and the play call?

We have to remember that ALL coaches in every sport and every level have some bone-headed games under their belt.   I think the DB fans are most upset (and rightly so)  over having good 10-0 teams during the season and then going all conservative during playoff games.   In other words, playing not to lose rather than playing to win.  Perhaps with coach Christian this trend will reverse itself, that has yet to be seen.