Dobyns Bennett

kingindian33

58 minutes ago, Swipes said:

We can see who beats AE worse and try to compare that way :lol:.  Also I hope you put it on DB this years since they dropped again (Which I don't blame them after losing the last 3 games against a school less than half their size)

If GV beats AE by 3 TDs be prepared to hear " we really just beat ourselves, the ref made a bad call and it turned the game or it was two plays, other than that we whipped you'll" from the road runners

I predicted 42-14 Alcoa over DB so I stick with that.

As far as E-town dodging Alcoa, they can't say anything when they are traveling over a hundred miles one way to play another Blount county team ( that refuses to compete against Alcoa ). I'm sure we would have accommodated them just as easily as the other school. 

On 6/5/2019 at 5:26 PM, blazer1set said:

Elizabethton vs. Alcoa, now that is a game I would pay good money to see.   Or even bad money for that matter.

Back to the thread topic, DB travels down to Alcoa this year, last game of the season.    Any thoughts on this one, or is it too early to know at this point?

D-B vs Alcoa? Alcoa by a lot. D-B missed the best chance they will probably ever have to beat Alcoa a couple of years ago when a young Alcoa  team came to Kingsport and rallied for the win. You could see the stark contrast in the two programs as the Alcoa staff and kids never quit when they were down double digits in the 4th quarter. Once they cut it to a one score game, you could see the panic set in for D-B and you could see that loss coming. 

7 hours ago, Swipes said:

You know I respect you as a poster BCsportsfan but until the ink is signed I wouldn't be saying they were scheduled.  I can't speak for E-Town but Looking at both Greeneville and Alcoa Schedules i don't see how it would have been able to work with how both teams have their region scheduled out.  Greeneville's open Date were week 1, 2,4, and 5.  Week one is the rivalry Thursday game against Powell (Greeneville's D coordinator starred at Powell so thats the link there).  Week 2 Alcoa has a region game against AE.  Week 4 is the Maryville vs Alcoa game so we all know that wasn't going to be changed.  Week 5 Alcoa has a region game with Pigeon Forge.  A lot of parts go into scheduling and it's more about everyone else schedule than the actual 2 teams that would be a good game to see.  I've never seen Greeneville run from competition and we are 2-2 against your tornadoes.  Would have been a fun game to watch for sure!  We can see who beats AE worse and try to compare that way :lol:.  Also I hope you put it on DB this years since they dropped again (Which I don't blame them after losing the last 3 games against a school less than half their size)

You are correct. Alcoa and Greeneville talked about a first game of the season matchup. But,Greeneville did not have lts full schedule worked out therefor did not sigh up for the game, but kept it as an option. It did not work out nor the Besty game, but Alcoa did reach out for the games. Wish it could have worked  also! :grin:

21 hours ago, Swipes said:

..........  Also I hope you put it on DB this years since they dropped again (Which I don't blame them after losing the last 3 games against a school less than half their size)

Interesting comment about school size, and it probably should be its own thread.    Do you guys think that in general big schools should always be better than smaller schools simply due to having more athletes from which to choose?     Is that why Dobyns Bennett (pop. 2208) and Science Hill (2248) don't play local schools Cloudland (233), Unaka (341), Hampton (421), etc. ?

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Interesting comment about school size, and it probably should be its own thread.    Do you guys think that in general big schools should always be better than smaller schools simply due to having more athletes from which to choose?     Is that why Dobyns Bennett (pop. 2208) and Science Hill (2248) don't play local schools Cloudland (233), Unaka (341), Hampton (421), etc. ?

Looking at it strictly from a math theory prospective the simple answer is yes.  The probability to have more athletes is much higher the larger your student population is.  Ex.  You have 2,000 students and 5% are athletic that’s a 100 potential student athletes.  You have Hampton who is 421 students the same math comes out to 21 student athletes.  Give me my choice of 100 or 21 I’m taking the 100.  Those same 21 players could be just as good as the 100 at the other school but less depth will hurt the smaller schools normally unless your name is Alcoa

Now we all know that not how it always works because Coaching, development, etc play into it also

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:31 AM, 32hammer said:

......   DB has an impressive kid coming back running the ball if I'm not mistaken. #4 maybe. 

You may be right, but I think the kid you are talking about graduated.  He was one of the best RB's in this area last year, in fact he pretty much carried the offense.

26 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

You may be right, but I think the kid you are talking about graduated.  He was one of the best RB's in this area last year, in fact he pretty much carried the offense.

He is talking about Keyo Taylor who missed a lot of last year with Injury.  He and Hicks were pretty good one two punch Taylors Sophomore Year.  This year he is back and standing at 6'1 248lb it wont be fun to tackle

9 hours ago, Swipes said:

He is talking about Keyo Taylor who missed a lot of last year with Injury.  He and Hicks were pretty good one two punch Taylors Sophomore Year.  This year he is back and standing at 6'1 248lb it wont be fun to tackle

You think the DB offense will just basically run over everybody this year?

9 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Not saying that at all.  Running the football with Hicks last year was the best offense and DB lost a lot on the O Line.  I think Taylor will get his fair share of touches if he stays healthy tho.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:33 AM, blazer1set said:

School size has nothing to do with it. This has been debated to death. It's all about "culture". At a school like Alcoa kids grow up preparing for football. The community don't just show up at games to be seen, they actually support the kids from little leagues all the way to varsity. They hire the best coaches in the state, not some buddie x-player who can't find a job doing anything else. School size will give you more to choose from, that is true. But if your culture is week or "fake" as in Dobyns Bennett's case you're not going to be very successful. In Kingsport they think looking "fancy" is the answer. Double decker stadium (just because nobody else has one), Mega-Tron scoreboard, new field house etc. etc. In drag racing they call it "All Show and no Go".  Graham Clark said he needed the new field house to take DB to the next level. He took them to the next level alright, the next level backwards. I see no signs that they have any intention of righting the ship. We still have the band, baseball and basketball have potential, so all is not lost.

11 hours ago, blazer1set said:

First we'll have to wait and see if Taylor is still around when the season kicks off. Then it won't matter that he's 248lbs. when his line isn't good enough to open holes to run through. Then 248lbs. is to heavy for a running back unless you're trying to pick up one yard or score from the one yard line. That's to much weight and it will slow him down meaning he's going to get hit behind the line on most plays. The QB is 140lbs. soak and wet (that's small for a middle school QB) so he ain't going to run over (or see over) anybody. Everybody knows by now that they can't even spell defense at DB so this ain't looking so good. 

Here's what's going to happen. If Taylor is still around by the first game their going to run him to death up the middle or off tackle 80% of the time. He'll be so beat up after three games he'll be gone. The quarterback is so small I'd be surprised if he last two games. I'm not so sure how good the back up is because well...…...you figure it out.