Dobyns Bennett

kingindian33

5 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

I actually found a couple of positive things in what you wrote .One is if Pals goes nation wide.It would  be nice to get a Big Pal,fry and tea at the beach .

You heard it hear ha... it's in the works from what I'm hearing !! Knoxville first ... a walk in on the strip will make one very rich 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 10:06 AM, blazer1set said:

I remember a few years ago that Science Hill had a super small QB (McGoo I think, but that may not be spelled right).   Anyway, he was one of the toughest guys I have ever seen in high school football.   And he was just so fast, you would blink and he was gone.     So you never know, DB's guy might be cut from the same cloth, and if he is then the offense has a lot of potency.    

To be clear, do you actually believe the current D-B QB will or can be in the same universe (athleticism and skills) as Malik McGue? If so, what leads you to believe that? 

2 hours ago, JDHoss said:

To be clear, do you actually believe the current D-B QB will or can be in the same universe (athleticism and skills) as Malik McGue? If so, what leads you to believe that? 

I think he is trying to be very optimistic JDHoss.  If the kid was half as athletic he would have been on the field starting some where for DB last year. McGue almost single handily beat Brentwood Academy his Senior year.

13 hours ago, Swipes said:

I think he is trying to be very optimistic JDHoss.  If the kid was half as athletic he would have been on the field starting some where for DB last year. McGue almost single handily beat Brentwood Academy his Senior year.

........and I think he had minus 5 yards against Maryville.

44 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

........and I think he had minus 5 yards against Maryville.

I wouldn't doubt that one bit.  Maryville ended up being ranked 22nd in the Nation that year by the sports writers for unapproved website.  Maryville had Dylan Jackson who ended up started DE at Stanford 

2 hours ago, Swipes said:

I wouldn't doubt that one bit.  Maryville ended up being ranked 22nd in the Nation that year by the sports writers for unapproved website.  Maryville had Dylan Jackson who ended up started DE at Stanford 

If you guys are talking about the quarterfinal in 2014, Science Hill went to Maryville and got stomped 45-0, and in fact SH never crossed the 50 yard line until deep into the 4th quarter.    Maryville outcoached SH in that game, made McGue look like a middle schooler.    The Maryville front line played a lateral defense, basically shifted left and right with McGue and let him take his time and run around in the backfield, then once he tired out they came in for the kill..... er, uh, tackle that is.....      Everybody SH had played rushed guys back there to get McGue, he was just way too elusive for that and ended up getting past them and then it was off to the races.    I was at that game and its almost as if Maryville coaches and players had.... uh, maybe studied game film and come up with a strategy to contain SH????    Nah, couldn't be that......

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

If you guys are talking about the quarterfinal in 2014, Science Hill went to Maryville and got stomped 45-0, and in fact SH never crossed the 50 yard line until deep into the 4th quarter.    Maryville outcoached SH in that game, made McGue look like a middle schooler.    The Maryville front line played a lateral defense, basically shifted left and right with McGue and let him take his time and run around in the backfield, then once he tired out they came in for the kill..... er, uh, tackle that is.....      Everybody SH had played rushed guys back there to get McGue, he was just way too elusive for that and ended up getting past them and then it was off to the races.    I was at that game and its almost as if Maryville coaches and players had.... uh, maybe studied game film and come up with a strategy to contain SH????    Nah, couldn't be that......

I wonder besides the few times Alcoa has beat Maryville,how many east Tennessee teams have gotten the job done in the last twenty years.It's probably an easy number for RR and the guys but I'd bet it is a very small number of times.Point being, some schools have  good athletes and some have  good coaches but to put it all together nearly every year with great in place of good,that's something that is hard for everyone else to compete with .

Edited by BatmanDevil

1 hour ago, BatmanDevil said:

I wonder besides the few times Alcoa has beat Maryville,how many east Tennessee teams have gotten the job done in the last twenty years.It's probably an easy number for RR and the guys but I'd bet it is a very small number of times.Point being, some schools have  good athletes and some have  good coaches but to put it all together nearly every year with great in place of good,that's something that is hard for everyone else to compete with .

I'll take a stab at it.  Since 1999 Maryville has lost to Knox Central twice, Morristown West twice, Heritage once, and Halls once.  Here is the crazy stat Maryville had a 5 game losing streak from Central Beating them in the 1999 play-offs and then started 0-4 in 2000 before winning out.  I saw that 2000 team play against Greeneville in the Semi's.  That was a cold damp night for football.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

17 hours ago, Swipes said:

I'll take a stab at it.  Since 1999 Maryville has lost to Knox Central twice, Morristown West twice, Heritage once, and Halls once.  Here is the crazy stat Maryville had a 5 game losing streak from Central Beating them in the 1999 play-offs and then started 0-4 in 2000 before winning out.  I saw that 2000 team play against Greeneville in the Semi's.  That was a cold damp night for football.

I'll take a shot at the answer. If I'm correct,  since 2004  Maryville has only lost 4 regular season games. 3 to Alcoa (2009,2010 and 2018) and 1 to Oakland. I think during that time Maryville made it to the finals every year but two. 2016 and 2018.

So for 15 yrs the only East TN team to beat Maryville was Alcoa. Maybe even more impressive was during that time( I could be wrong about this) Aside from the 4 Regular season losses Maryville only had 6 regular season games that were within a TD.

2006 vs Alcoa  17-14, 2008 vs Alcoa  20-13, 2012 vs Alcoa 26-19, 2015 vs Alcoa 20-14 ( Maryville waxed the over hyped Fulton team that year 49-18), 2017 vs Alcoa 28-24 and vs Catholic 49-42.

23 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

Yep,Maryville and Alcoa are in another football galaxy compared to most schools.It's been a very fun ride watching my Devils visit that galaxy over the last several years.310px-NGC_4414_%28NASA-med%29.jpg

Greeneville is legit.  Tough football team and a whole lot of fun to watch.  Greeneville has a chance to go on very special run in 4A over a 10 year period.