Dobyns Bennett

kingindian33

DB had a really good team in 2012 but the Maryville team that beat them was not the most powerful  team that we have ever seen from the Rebs, but still better then most.I think they gave up a bunch of points in the semi's and then lost in OT in the finals.Shows that it takes a perfect year for most to take home the gold.In my opinion,the perfect year for DB could have been 2007 if you look back at how the playoffs went.There wasn't a super team in 5A that year and any number of schools had a chance.Oh,yes I know the semi-final teams before that had a great chance as well.I just remember  DB had a slow start in 07 but a Bearden team they should have beat made it to the semi-finals and that Bearden team is probably still mad about that  game .Could have went the other way for them but didn't.Smyrna then won the championship with no problem

Edited by BatmanDevil

7 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

DB had a really good team in 2012 but the Maryville team that beat them was not the most powerful  team that we have ever seen from the Rebs, but still better then most.I think they gave up a bunch of points in the semi's and then lost in OT in the finals.Shows that it takes a perfect year for most to take home the gold.In my opinion,the perfect year for DB could have been 2007 if you look back at how the playoffs went.There wasn't a super team in 5A that year and any number of schools had a chance.Oh,yes I know the semi-final teams before that had a great chance as well.I just remember  DB had a slow start in 07 but a Bearden team they should have beat made it to the semi-finals and that Bearden team is probably still mad about that  game .Could have went the other way for them but didn't.Smyrna then won the championship with no problem

In 2012 DB had the horsepower to hang with Maryville but just got very badly out-coached by the Rebels. 

11 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

Shad had Sonny Gray

16 hours ago, blazer1set said:

In 2012 DB had the horsepower to hang with Maryville but just got very badly out-coached by the Rebels. 

It's rare that a Maryville coached team get's "out-coached "by anyone.DB was given a golden opportunity right out of the gate and said no sir ! ,take the ball back,we don't want it point blank at your goal line.When the Rebs make a mistake,you got to jump on it and DB didn't.No I'm not saying the game would have been won by DB had they scored but you will not get many gifts from the Rebs and every little thing matters.

Edited by BatmanDevil

1 hour ago, BatmanDevil said:

It's rare that a Maryville coached team get's "out-coached "by anyone.DB was given a golden opportunity right out of the gate and said no sir ! ,take the ball back,we don't want it point blank at your goal line.When the Rebs make a mistake,you got to jump on it and DB didn't.No I'm not saying the game would have been won by DB had they scored but you will not get many gifts from the Rebs and every little thing matters.

You are referencing where Maryville fumbled on the opening kickoff (a rare mistake indeed), DB recovered at the 15 and then fumbled the ball right back to Maryville on the first offensive play.   On Maryville's first play their guy broke around left end and raced 85 yards untouched.   And that was how it went all night.      I really think that if just a few things had been different DB could have squeaked out a win in that one and gone on to Cookeville.

8 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

10-0 regular season, avg score 55-13, scored over 70 in 3 games.    I would not be foolish enough to say Maryville got lucky, but if DB had a few more breaks, who knows........

Just Batmans thoughts here .I mean Maryville and Alcoa are just a machine nearly every year since before the kids playing today were even thought about.My Devils are about as close as it gets for this area but both Maryville and Alcoa are what 99.9999 percent of the rest of east Tennessee  teams wish they could be.That other .oooo1 or whatever is left, are either jealous or on something illegal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 7:40 AM, BatmanDevil said:

Totally agree on '07.  Not necessarily DB's best team, but the way things played out they had a real shot at it.  Didn't they lose to Smyrna (the eventual champion) by 7 or something?

Edited by Tribal

22 minutes ago, Tribal said:

Totally agree on '07.  Not necessarily DB's best team, but the way things played out they had a real shot at it.  Didn't they lose to Smyrna (the eventual champion) by 7 or something?

In 2007 DB went 7-3 in the regular season and lost to Farragut in the 2nd round 28-6