Dobyns Bennett

kingindian33

3 minutes ago, blazer1set said:

Wow!    I feel bad for the coach, look at the insane schedule he inherited (Greeneville, Alcoa, Oak Ridge) this year.   No first time coach would want to face that.

Take out what should have been last year and without the everyone gets in system,this would have probably made 3 of 4 years DB had missed the playoffs.Not like the wheels just all of a suddenly fell off when coach Christian took over.

33 minutes ago, BatmanDevil said:

Take out what should have been last year and without the everyone gets in system,this would have probably made 3 of 4 years DB had missed the playoffs.Not like the wheels just all of a suddenly fell off when coach Christian took over.

Oh I see what you are saying, when the now defunct Super-32 was in place you could make the playoffs with an 0-10 record.     I completely forgot about that.     But still, Christian is the one who has to take the heat for missing the playoffs for the first time in 26 years.   He was thrown into an impossible situation.  I know everyone thinks that Witten, Ballard, or whoever would have had DB 10-0 this year and knocking on Maryville's door, but who are we kidding, a first-year Nick Saban would struggle with a schedule this brutal.    Who knows, perhaps Clark saw that (the disbanding of the Super-32) and decided to get out while he still looked good.

So on to this week's game, do you think it is reasonable to assume that Jeff Co is beatable?

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Oh I see what you are saying, when the now defunct Super-32 was in place you could make the playoffs with an 0-10 record.     I completely forgot about that.     But still, Christian is the one who has to take the heat for missing the playoffs for the first time in 26 years.   He was thrown into an impossible situation.  I know everyone thinks that Witten, Ballard, or whoever would have had DB 10-0 this year and knocking on Maryville's door, but who are we kidding, a first-year Nick Saban would struggle with a schedule this brutal.    Who knows, perhaps Clark saw that (the disbanding of the Super-32) and decided to get out while he still looked good.

So on to this week's game, do you think it is reasonable to assume that Jeff Co is beatable?

In know way do I think any coach could have took this team and beat everyone on the schedule this year and knocked out Maryville.I think Jeff county and DB could be a very tough game because it's been a brutal year . Can't speak for Clark or why he decided to do anything he has ever done.He guided the Tribe to some big wins and three state semifinal games.Maybe about that time if a coach like Ballard would have came in and took over with complete control,it would have been a perfect storm for DB football .Now it's a mess and as long as Maryville is in the same bracket,it will take a super group of players with a few years of great coaching and strength training as a team to get past them and take on the Oakland's of the world and best of the rest in order to bring back a gold ball.I wouldn't expect it anytime soon even if Nick Saban was the coach.Great reason for coach Ballard to never consider taking on such a challenge in the future and just stay in Greeneville where he is a proven winner.Way to many people with their hands in the pot up here for any new coach to cook up anything close to a state championship.

Its sad really....all that money spent to buy the best but they fail at coaches. its like buying a ferrari and putting a yugo engine in it. or my wife's cousin's brother once put air in a tire, lets get him to overhaul the engine, at least he's family. 

So how do they fix it? another nation wide search? spend more money knowing the outcome is 'just a formality?' Blame it on the band parents leaving at halftime (which is absurd, we know they stay till popcorn goes to 50 cents a bag). the grass is too green, the band has a practice field for their use (when they was building that, one of their biggest excuses was band mom's complaining their precious kiddies came home with muddy shoes). I meant we could go on and on and on. 

So IF you was the AD or one of the mysterious Eastman execs....er highups, and could make 3 changes, what would you do? We all know they have the money to do it...so what would you do?

5 minutes ago, tj3775 said:

Its sad really....all that money spent to buy the best but they fail at coaches. its like buying a ferrari and putting a yugo engine in it. or my wife's cousin's brother once put air in a tire, lets get him to overhaul the engine, at least he's family. 

So how do they fix it? another nation wide search? spend more money knowing the outcome is 'just a formality?' Blame it on the band parents leaving at halftime (which is absurd, we know they stay till popcorn goes to 50 cents a bag). the grass is too green, the band has a practice field for their use (when they was building that, one of their biggest excuses was band mom's complaining their precious kiddies came home with muddy shoes). I meant we could go on and on and on. 

So IF you was the AD or one of the mysterious Eastman execs....er highups, and could make 3 changes, what would you do? We all know they have the money to do it...so what would you do?

You are going to get answers like "Clean House" or "Drain the swamp..."     But it is not that easy, the good ole boy system is intrinsically baked into the Kingsport culture.   BTW, lots of school systems have the GOB's, it's just that DB seems to get a lot more spotlight on it...

1 minute ago, blazer1set said:

You are going to get answers like "Clean House" or "Drain the swamp..."     But it is not that easy, the good ole boy system is intrinsically baked into the Kingsport culture.   BTW, lots of school systems have the GOB's, it's just that DB seems to get a lot more spotlight on it...

I'd agree...that's the tired old argument...get rid of the coaches,we need more this and that...so what would you do? Mine would be

(1) have a real nationwide search
(2) get more involved with pee wee and middle school, these are your feeders so feed them right
(3) more after school programs to enhance your team

1 hour ago, tj3775 said:

I'd agree...that's the tired old argument...get rid of the coaches,we need more this and that...so what would you do? Mine would be

(1) have a real nationwide search
(2) get more involved with pee wee and middle school, these are your feeders so feed them right
(3) more after school programs to enhance your team

These are all good ideas and is what is required to try and get to Maryville's level.

But also being realistic, in the last 10 years DB has played Maryville 4 times to the average score of 47-16.  Getting past Maryville and on the road to Cookeville would be years in the making.   Certainly not impossible but definitely not easy either.

Put on your reading glasses.I've talked to a few Maryville fans and I wouldn't exactly say they all thought there was a big advantage with their system so much as when they get to high school and the great staff and the way things are done there.I guess that's each person's own thoughts and maybe different experiences with their  kids at the time.I myself have a different take on the whole system in Kingsport then many other parents and fans.Two of mine went to Robinson and I watched those coaches and have nothing bad to say about how coach Frye done things.I seen him out coach both the Devils in a rematch during the playoffs and a more talented Sevier team to win it all five years ago.I had no problem with the DB 9th grade coaches the following year as the only team that beat them was Greeneville's JV and they played SH 9th twice and several JV teams.That's when something went wrong and no matter if it were just the players or coaches or whatever,but a disconnect .You don't normally see a bunch of your best athletes leave a program unless there is a problem somewhere.I can't speak for all the kids but know DB lost the fastest,the strongest and the most likely to make it to the pros along with atleast four more out of that class that were absolutely awesome players .Yes your going to have all kinds of situations and sometimes problems when it comes to young folks but whatever it takes, a solid staff addresses these things and helps pull the team and players  together and not let it fall apart.I have no clue as to what changes coach Christian made this year as to their strength program and other areas or to address the other past problems,but he didn't have near the horses from last year and I'd factor all that going forward and give him  a chance to correct this cluster before I brought in somebody's yardman with a degree in horticulture to take over.

Edited by BatmanDevil

6 hours ago, BatmanDevil said:

Put on your reading glasses.I've talked to a few Maryville fans and I wouldn't exactly say they all thought there was a big advantage with their system so much as when they get to high school and the great staff and the way things are done there.I guess that's each person's own thoughts and maybe different experiences with their  kids at the time.I myself have a different take on the whole system in Kingsport then many other parents and fans.Two of mine went to Robinson and I watched those coaches and have nothing bad to say about how coach Frye done things.I seen him out coach both the Devils in a rematch during the playoffs and a more talented Sevier team to win it all five years ago.I had no problem with the DB 9th grade coaches the following year as the only team that beat them was Greeneville's JV and they played SH 9th twice and several JV teams.That's when something went wrong and no matter if it were just the players or coaches or whatever,but a disconnect .You don't normally see a bunch of your best athletes leave a program unless there is a problem somewhere.I can't speak for all the kids but know DB lost the fastest,the strongest and the most likely to make it to the pros along with atleast four more out of that class that were absolutely awesome players .Yes your going to have all kinds of situations and sometimes problems when it comes to young folks but whatever it takes, a solid staff addresses these things and helps pull the team and players  together and not let it fall apart.I have no clue as to what changes coach Christian made this year as to their strength program and other areas or to address the other past problems,but he didn't have near the horses from last year and I'd factor all that going forward and give him  a chance to correct this cluster before I brought in somebody's yardman with a degree in horticulture to take over.

What went wrong? The answer is easy. Have a look at DB football with Darrell Watson and have a look at DB football without Darrell Watson. Talk with the players that were coached by him as well as some of the coaches that coached with him. Have a look at the stats with Darrell Watson and again without him. He was the chief motivator. He had probably the worst defensive backs coach in the state coaching along side him but was still able to shut teams down.   He made Graham Clark.  And Clark took all the credit. You could say Watson was one of the "good ole boys", but what separated him from the others was that he could coach. Joey Christian is one of the best line coaches in the state. We will never know if he is a good head coach because he's surrounded by assistant coaches that have no business coaching at the high school level. 

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

What went wrong? The answer is easy. Have a look at DB football with Darrell Watson and have a look at DB football without Darrell Watson. Talk with the players that were coached by him as well as some of the coaches that coached with him. Have a look at the stats with Darrell Watson and again without him. He was the chief motivator. He had probably the worst defensive backs coach in the state coaching along side him but was still able to shut teams down.   He made Graham Clark.  And Clark took all the credit. You could say Watson was one of the "good ole boys", but what separated him from the others was that he could coach. Joey Christian is one of the best line coaches in the state. We will never know if he is a good head coach because he's surrounded by assistant coaches that have no business coaching at the high school level. 

I know it has been a disappointing year, believe me we have had plenty of those at Boone too.    But what do you think about the Jeff Co game?