Dobyns Bennett

kingindian33

7 hours ago, kingindian33 said:

Fact :  did you know that in 2012 , 3 of DB players took it on themselves to do sprints , run with parachutes, workout at home , etc. .....Now this was late nights , nights when most kids would be out and about . 

I was told by one of their parents that they felt like they were not getting a workout and that they took it up on theirselves to become faster and stronger !! 

I am wondering if 2 of those 3 went on to play for the Vols?

BTW, since Science Hill won is DB now out of the playoffs?

13 hours ago, kingindian33 said:

Fact :  did you know that in 2012 , 3 of DB players took it on themselves to do sprints , run with parachutes, workout at home , etc. .....Now this was late nights , nights when most kids would be out and about . 

I was told by one of their parents that they felt like they were not getting a workout and that they took it up on theirselves to become faster and stronger !! 

First ,there have been a lot of very good athletes come through DB and that's not the problem.Just take last years team that was made up of two middle schools that both beat my Devils when they were in the 8th grade and together couldn't beat the same players last year.That's not an athlete problem.Most years the strongest kids do exactly what those three you wrote about done.Yes it's a cluster and a shame that DB doesn't have what my school has at Greeneville.Simple answer for the strength part,was to hire someone that could train not only football players but all the athletes and they were supposed to do that a couple years ago.The problem with everything at DB, is everyone wants to help their own family and friends  but can't see that little Johnny might not be the right person for some jobs.Now as a former parent that seen some coaches had their hands tied and had to do what they were told, including the weight training.I took it on myself to help my kids and they in turn helped several more along the way even when they were no longer playing.No, it wasn't near enough but I'll say this for the 1000th time.If the school isn't going to do it,more parents and kids will have to take it upon themselves.If you don't have the money for a private gym then atleast do some of the things my kids done when they were not weight training.At 12 years old,one of mine done atleast 1000 situps , 700 pushups ,plus ran a hill countless times every week.When I started his weight training program at home,he continued those things on his own time.Now when he got over to DB,we just worked around what training he got there and used DB for warmups and he got his big training in at night and weekends most of the time.So players and dads,thats something to think about going forward along with the training you get at school.

Edited by BatmanDB
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, BatmanDB said:

First ,there have been a lot of very good athletes come through DB and that's not the problem.Just take last years team that was made up of two middle schools that both beat my Devils when they were in the 8th grade and together couldn't beat the same players last year.That's not an athlete problem.Most years the strongest kids do exactly what those three you wrote about done.Yes it's a cluster and a shame that DB doesn't have what my school has at Greeneville.Simple answer for the strength part,was to hire someone that could train not only football players but all the athletes and they were supposed to do that a couple years ago.The problem with everything at DB, is everyone wants to help their own family and friends  but can't see that little Johnny might not be the right person for some jobs.Now as a former parent that seen some coaches had their hands tied and had to do what they were told, including the weight training.I took it on myself to help my kids and they in turn helped several more along the way even when they were no longer playing.No, it wasn't near enough but I'll say this for the 1000th time.If the school isn't going to do it,more parents and kids will have to take it upon themselves.If you don't have the money for a private gym then atleast do some of the things my kids done when they were not weight training.At 12 years old,one of mine done atleast 1000 situps , 700 pushups ,plus ran a hill countless times every week.When I started his weight training program at home,he continued those things on his own time.Now when he got over to DB,we just worked around what training he got there and used DB for warmups and he got his big training in at night and weekends most of the time.So players and dads,thats something to think about going forward along with the training you get at school.

Hick's has done his own training during the offseason to get bigger, faster and stronger. As far as I know he's the only one on this current team that does this. Friday night he had 38 carries. I think this is actually abuse of a player.  The players are spent after two quarters of football. It's obvious to everybody except this 'so called" coaching staff. It will never be fixed. What you're going to see in the future (next year and beyond) is Central and Volunteer type records yearly. 

14 hours ago, IndiansForLife said:

KingIndian, you are right about the current state of things. They stated that building the field house would allow every player to be at workouts at the same time and it was necessary to have the field house to compete for championships. However, since the field house has been built we have only went to a quarterfinal once. Again millions were spent to put turf down and build a upper deck, that is half empty. However, the results have gotten worse with each upgrade. If DB is truly serious about its program it is time to get a staff that goes with the upgrades that have been made. If they are not serious about the program, then stop wasting the cities money on useless upgrades.

That field house came about in the "special deal" that the former coach made in order to remain the coach at DB. If you remember at the time a "rumor" popped up that he was leaving to accept the head coaching job at MBA. Everybody freaked out because at the time DB's football program was on a big up swing. And of course that previous head coach was taking all the credit. The credit, as we later learned should of gone to the defensive coordinator Darrell Watson (something that can easily be proven). The special deal also included a hefty raise. I can't remember if the new turf was included but probably. I don't think the "upper deck" really has anything to do with football. I think that was added for Fun Fest concerts. At the time of planning there was supposed to be private suites along the top of the upper deck. That was put on the back burner because of cost overruns and they knew the public wouldn't approve. You can bet your last dollar they will be built soon. The suites will be for the City Brass so they don't have to mingle with the common folk. 

Let's try to look at some positives from this season to build on for next year:

*  DB beat arch rival Science Hill for the first time in several years
  *  DB is the only team to score on Greeneville's 1st team defense until Elizabethton did it
  *  DB hung 17 on Alcoa, the only other team to score more against the Tornados was Maryville.
  *  DB has been in nearly every game in the first half but just has trouble finishing

The Tribe needs to finish off Jefferson Co this week to finish strong and start a new foundation for next year.

2 hours ago, blazer1set said:

Let's try to look at some positives from this season to build on for next year:

*  DB beat arch rival Science Hill for the first time in several years
  *  DB is the only team to score on Greeneville's 1st team defense until Elizabethton did it
  *  DB hung 17 on Alcoa, the only other team to score more against the Tornados was Maryville.
  *  DB has been in nearly every game in the first half but just has trouble finishing

The Tribe needs to finish off Jefferson Co this week to finish strong and start a new foundation for next year.

The one thing that would make me feel better about next year is to hear one of your predictions for next years season.  

oh! lol

4 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Hick's has done his own training during the offseason to get bigger, faster and stronger. As far as I know he's the only one on this current team that does this. Friday night he had 38 carries. I think this is actually abuse of a player.  The players are spent after two quarters of football. It's obvious to everybody except this 'so called" coaching staff. It will never be fixed. What you're going to see in the future (next year and beyond) is Central and Volunteer type records yearly. 

I don't know about other players on this years team  but had heard one of mine say he had seen Hicks at a gym and his work ethic was top notch.Anybody can watch him and see he is something special and has done the extra it takes.

3 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

The one thing that would make me feel better about next year is to hear one of your predictions for next years season.  

oh! lol

Next season predictions....   If Greeneville, Alcoa, Oak Ridge are on the schedule I am going to go with 5-5.  If those three drop and are replaced with Unaka, Sullivan Central and North Greene then I am feeling more like 8-2.

1 hour ago, blazer1set said:

Next season predictions....   If Greeneville, Alcoa, Oak Ridge are on the schedule I am going to go with 5-5.  If those three drop and are replaced with Unaka, Sullivan Central and North Greene then I am feeling more like 8-2.

I don't know what the schedule looks like but seen a similar situation with DB the last couple years and the last time Greeneville had a home and away with Alcoa.Alcoa was more or less reloading and not at full strength for the  first game  but came back the next year at full F5 strength.I can't imagine if Alcoa was the size of DB.They would probably have to play on Saturdays to find some competition.