Possible transfer rule change

Indian

My suggestion would be for the TSSAA to consider the following:

1.  Every student athlete would receive one free transfer after they begin their athletic career.  After the first transfer any additional transfer would require a true change of address by the family.

2.  Remove the rule that a student athlete that transfers from school X to a boarding school will be eligible immediately.  Again refer to rule number 1.

By adopting these rules the TSSAA would eliminate 95% of the workload that they currently have and could focus on making the organization stronger and better for the kids.  

Can't you put your house up for sale for 2x-3x regular price and "rent a house/apartment in another school zone, and provide elec. bill/water bill for new house/apartment, and still occupy your original house?  This was a common practice in the 90's-early 2000's in Knoxville, particularly if you owned a big...oh, I'll stop right there.

I am not sure if it is still this way in Florida, but in Florida, you are (were) eligible wherever you are enrolled the 1st day of school calendar, unless academically ineligible.  If you transfer in middle of school calendar, you are (were) ineligible for the remainder of calendar year, regardless of residence or athletic record.  Like I said, not sure if that is the case now or not.  That would completely eliminate any in-season or mid-year shenanigans and make it easy on TSSAA & member schools.  In other words, grow where you are planted.  At that point, coaches and administrators must make it a good culture for an athlete to stay in current school.

Edited by ocac

I like this new potential rule. Keeps coaches and administration from keeping up with where all of their football players live.  Playing football is not a right, it's a privilege. Education should be number one priority. I don't think anyone really transfers to get an education. If people want move then the can attend school. They don't have to play sports. If you really have to move then your children can get a high school diploma. I am sure all the transfers to certain winning programs were for education purposes and not sports participation. I think a major winning school got a transfer from Webb one time. How could that have been for a better education.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:02 PM, sheppy said:

Can't you put your house up for sale for 2x-3x regular price and "rent a house/apartment in another school zone, and provide elec. bill/water bill for new house/apartment, and still occupy your original house?  This was a common practice in the 90's-early 2000's in Knoxville, particularly if you owned a big...oh, I'll stop right there.

Why must someone put their home (personal residence) up for sale and rent a house/condo?  Just go rent the house/condo.  The TSSAA cannot tell you that it's not legal for you to own multiple pieces of property.

7 minutes ago, cbg said:

Why must someone put their home (personal residence) up for sale and rent a house/condo?  Just go rent the house/condo.  The TSSAA cannot tell you that it's not legal for you to own multiple pieces of property.

Don't have to put it up for sale it just has to be vacant.

1 hour ago, orngnblk said:

Don't have to put it up for sale it just has to be vacant.

No it does not have to be vacant.  The TSSAA cannot tell me what I can do and cannot do with my personal property.  Tell them you haven't decided what you are going to do with the property but you have rented a property in community X.  Now you would more than likely have to place the electricity and water in your name at the new property.  You may even need to change your voter registration to the rented property. I would love to get the T$$AA in court over saying my former personal residence must be empty.   That's like saying I cant own a condo on the beach and it be furnished, have a furnished ranch in Montana and have a home in Germantown but my kids attends Melrose because I rented a condo in the Orange Mound community.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, cbg said:

No it does not have to be vacant.  The TSSAA cannot tell me what I can do and cannot do with my personal property.  Tell them you haven't decided what you are going to do with the property but you have rented a property in community X.  Now you would more than likely have to place the electricity and water in your name at the new property.  You may even need to change your voter registration to the rented property. I would love to get the T$$AA in court over saying my former personal residence must be empty.   That's like saying I cant own a condo on the beach and it be furnished, have a furnished ranch in Montana and have a home in Germantown but my kids attends Melrose because I rented a condo in the Orange Mound community.  

I agree.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, cbg said:

If the house does not have to be vacant, here is a hypothetical situation cbg: Family owns a house in 7 different school zones within the same school system.  They pay a mortgage/rent, electric, water, phone bill for all 7 houses.  There are multiple high school age children included in this family.  Which school zone do they use?  Can they have kids in more than 1 of the school zones, not magnet schools either?

Has nothing to do with condo on the beach, ranch in Montana, home in Germantown because those are 3 different locations and PROBABLY 3 different states...unless there is a Germantown, Montana and there are beaches in the Germantown, Montana area.

55 minutes ago, sheppy said:

If the house does not have to be vacant, here is a hypothetical situation cbg: Family owns a house in 7 different school zones within the same school system.  They pay a mortgage/rent, electric, water, phone bill for all 7 houses.  There are multiple high school age children included in this family.  Which school zone do they use?  Can they have kids in more than 1 of the school zones, not magnet schools either?

Has nothing to do with condo on the beach, ranch in Montana, home in Germantown because those are 3 different locations and PROBABLY 3 different states...unless there is a Germantown, Montana and there are beaches in the Germantown, Montana area.

If you read T$$AA rules you will see why you can't have multiple residence. Remember playing football is a privilege not a right. In the state of Tennessee. T$$AA is the law, administrators are the police and legislative branch. Call up Brentwood Academy. They sued and it took years and money, and we have what we have here now, a failure to communicate. I don't like it any more than anyone else. But that's the way they wants it, that's the way they gets it.

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:25 PM, cbg said:

Tell that to the two kids from Henry County who transferred to Perry County a few years back. Legit move to Linden because mom got a new job at the hospital. Move was 50+ miles in distance, and approved by TSSAA...until they found out that the family still owned their old house in Paris. Six games forfeited by the team, and the senior missed the rest of his career.

35 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Tell that to the two kids from Henry County who transferred to Perry County a few years back. Legit move to Linden because mom got a new job at the hospital. Move was 50+ miles in distance, and approved by TSSAA...until they found out that the family still owned their old house in Paris. Six games forfeited by the team, and the senior missed the rest of his career.

One has to wonder how the T$$AA finds out?