TSSAA MID CYCLE ENROLLMENTS

Southtowner

A few quick suggestions/comments, reactions to this and similar posts about teams with losing records making it, etc: 

-I don't think there will ever be a drop back to less than 6 classes so we can make the best of how it is. 

-As mentioned I'd go back to 2 year class periods. The 20 percent rule helps but teams can slip by through no fault of their own. A few years back a school with 4A enrollment that year won 2A a couple of years after opening. That shouldn't happen. 

-I can't see requiring teams to be .500 or better to make the playoffs or top teams would have even more trouble scheduling. Plus byes in the first round could make teams rusty. 

-This part some may not agree with but it would help competition overall and possibly reduce blowouts. It's hardly giving everyone a trophy, just cutting teams out of classes they're not competitive in at the moment. They may not be competitive at their new class, either. To get away from any computer ranking controversy, just make it so any team winning four or less games over two years moves down 1 class. If they win 5+ over the next two years they move back if enrollment calls for it. The largest few at the top of affected classes would move up to fill the gaps but they'd be borderline anyway. Droppers in 1A would be forced to play 8-man football (no, not really though some maybe should consider it). 

Without going all out with a list,  here's some that would be affected if such a system went in-

1A to 2A-Trousdale, Huntingdon, and Richland, with Tellico Plains, Cascade and East Hickman  going to 1A. 

2A to 3A-Harpeth, Marion, Tyner, Melrose and Loretto, with Cannon, Whites Creek, McMinn Central, Stewart County, and Grundy going to 2A. 

3A to 4A-Claiborne, Craigmont, Kirby, and Unicoi County, with Sullivan Central, Hixson, Cumberland and Liberty going to 3A 

Several others dropping from 5A (Walker Valley, White County etc) and 6A (Dickson County, Antioch, etc)

21 hours ago, RTD said:

Pearl cone and McGavock are like 20 min away from each other I think you are wrong about this One my gf she graduated from McGavock and she said that they co-op with The Hume-Fogg Academic high school for band and Football 

Obviously you do not get my sarcasm.

5 hours ago, Indian said:

A few quick suggestions/comments, reactions to this and similar posts about teams with losing records making it, etc: 

-I don't think there will ever be a drop back to less than 6 classes so we can make the best of how it is. 

-As mentioned I'd go back to 2 year class periods. The 20 percent rule helps but teams can slip by through no fault of their own. A few years back a school with 4A enrollment that year won 2A a couple of years after opening. That shouldn't happen. 

-I can't see requiring teams to be .500 or better to make the playoffs or top teams would have even more trouble scheduling. Plus byes in the first round could make teams rusty. 

-This part some may not agree with but it would help competition overall and possibly reduce blowouts. It's hardly giving everyone a trophy, just cutting teams out of classes they're not competitive in at the moment. They may not be competitive at their new class, either. To get away from any computer ranking controversy, just make it so any team winning four or less games over two years moves down 1 class. If they win 5+ over the next two years they move back if enrollment calls for it. The largest few at the top of affected classes would move up to fill the gaps but they'd be borderline anyway. Droppers in 1A would be forced to play 8-man football (no, not really though some maybe should consider it). 

Without going all out with a list,  here's some that would be affected if such a system went in-

1A to 2A-Trousdale, Huntingdon, and Richland, with Tellico Plains, Cascade and East Hickman  going to 1A. 

2A to 3A-Harpeth, Marion, Tyner, Melrose and Loretto, with Cannon, Whites Creek, McMinn Central, Stewart County, and Grundy going to 2A. 

3A to 4A-Claiborne, Craigmont, Kirby, and Unicoi County, with Sullivan Central, Hixson, Cumberland and Liberty going to 3A 

Several others dropping from 5A (Walker Valley, White County etc) and 6A (Dickson County, Antioch, etc)

Trousdale is already a 2A team 

13 minutes ago, Indian said:

With the mid cycle count, if it started next year they’d be 1A. 

another rule to keep things straight, no moving up without an approved good reason. Either location or competition. No moving up to avoid opponents.

I do agree with it should be every 2 years not 4

On 10/24/2018 at 9:26 AM, fredjones said:

You need to factor in that there will be at least two new high schools open in Middle Tennessee (Green Hill in Mt. Juliet, and Rockvale in Rutherford County that will be open in 2021.  Sumner County may be building another school in Cottontown.  Williamson may be building one at Grassland. That's also not taking into effect the school consolidations in Roane and Sullivan Counties.   The number of football playing schools will change in  Division 1.

Roane County not happening anytime soon

45 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Indian,  what would it take to submit having reclassification every 2 years to the Association?

What would be the cons among the TSSAA, administrators,  and coaches not wanting this?

Get it to the regional meetings and see how it goes. Some possibly are comfortable with four years of set region opponents. 

10 hours ago, Southtowner said:

Well,  I'd say if it's never been submitted before, then most are comfortable with the 4 years.

I think most coaches would be in favor of 2 year cycles.  Scheduling is not an issue because the region schedules are set every 2 years anyway.  Most teams will keep traditional rivals in tact, regardless if they are region opponents or not.  I don't think coaches like the idea of a team playing out of classification, especially if they are a region team.  Most coaches want TSSAA to make it right/fair. I think if you were to ask Shelbyville, they are probably not exactly excited about Gallatin rolling into town tonite for 5A playoffs with an enrollment of almost 1700.  That enrollment will increase next fall and they will still be 5A because TSSAA already has their #s and it will not increase by 20% in the fall, but they could conceivably  have 1800 kids next fall and be in 5A.  Gallatin is just an example of a few as to why TSSAA needs to reclassify every 2 years.  You also have the flip side of some schools with an enrollment under 1500 that are going to play 6A ball next season because it is not a 20% change and it is in mid-cycle.