Forfeiting Games

Thundersnow

I've read about some teams having to forfeit games due to ineligible players. I'm sure a lot of times the coaches know about what is going on, but what about the times that it would be almost impossible for anyone to tell due to a parent doing something shady? I would hate to know my son missed a chance at the playoffs due to 1 parent breaking the rules. It would be worse if your son was a senior. 

It seems to me, a coach or parent should get some huge monetary fine if they break the rules instead of costing the whole team. Make everyone sign a contract when they sign up to play detailing when they need to alert a coach on any kind of move they may make. It could detail what would possibly make a player ineligible. It could list a mandatory fine if you break the rule. A 10k or 20k fine (possibly more for coaches) would make some people think about following the rules more.

I'm sure there are pros and cons, but shouldn't something be done besides punishing the entire team?

Edited by Thundersnow

6 minutes ago, Thundersnow said:

I've read about some teams having to forfeit games due to ineligible players. I'm sure a lot of times the coaches know about what is going on, but what about the times that it would be almost impossible for anyone to tell due to a parent doing something shady? I would hate to know my son missed a chance at the playoffs due to 1 parent breaking the rules. It would be worse if your son was a senior. 

It seems to me, a coach or parent should get some huge monetary fine if they break the rules instead of costing the whole team. Make everyone sign a contract when they sign up to play detailing when they need to alert a coach on any kind of move they may make. It could detail what would possibly make a player ineligible. It could list a mandatory fine if you break the rule. A 10k or 20k fine (possibly more for coaches) would make some people think about following the rules more.

I'm sure there are pros and cons, but shouldn't something be done besides punishing the entire team?

Unfortunately it is viewed like an offsides penalty, the whole team backs up 5 yards, not just the guy who jumped early.

30 minutes ago, Thundersnow said:

The TSSAA is pretty black and white on situations such as these and they stick to their guns.  If you play an intelligible player, even if it is a clerical error, you will be paying some fines, forfeiting some games, and paying the consequences.  School administrations, athletic directors, and coaches are the ones who have to follow up on that stuff for all players.  It's their jobs.  If they are not doing their jobs, then that is a place where parents and community members need to voice their concerns to a school or director of schools.  It's that simple.  If you have teams that have found ways around the rules, then it is just that, they found ways around the rules and a player is fine to play.

If you go into the bylaws and rules on the TSSAA website, they have it all laid out what will happen.  There is nothing in the laws about parents having to pay a fine.  You have a school that agreed to play by the TSSAA rules, so they are the ones that have to pay the consequences.

Great question by the way.