Whitehaven at Germantown - The 2018 Region 8, 6A Title Game

kwc

Both are undefeated in Region 8, 6A. Germantown is 9-0 with a 19 game win streak. The Haven is 7-2 on the season with losses to last years D2-2A state champ, Lausanne, and last year's Arkansas 7A state champ, North Little Rock.  Both of whom are undefeated currently.

So, who are you rolling with in this one? how do you think this one plays out? Let's get it started!

Edited by kwc

Can Germantown finish 10-0 again?

Khari Thompson, Memphis Commercial Appeal Published 12:11 a.m. CT Oct. 20, 2018

Germantown beat Central 28-7 on Friday night to extend its regular season winning streak to 20 games.

The win means that the Red Devils are one game away from their second straight perfect regular season. In the post game huddle, coach Chris Smith made a point of telling the players not to get too far ahead of themselves. 

"We've kind of taken this thing one game at a time for two years, and its like I told the kids tonight, we're 1-0 tonight but we're 0-0 tomorrow," Smith said. "And if you start looking ahead, I think you can get caught in some bad habits. We've got to refocus, redial. We had some things that we didn't do really well tonight that will get exposed next week if we don't fix it." 

But the significance of a potential win isn't lost on Smith either. 

"If we do go 10-0 for two straight seasons, that's a heck of an accomplishment, a heck of a deal for these guys," he said. "They've have done it two times in a row for the players and for the coaches." 

Germantown (9-0, 2-0 Region 8-6A) will host region foe Whitehaven (7-2, 2-0), who won 41-24 against White Station, in the season finale next Friday.The Red Devils beat the Tigers 29-21 at Whitehaven last year.

Central (6-2, 0-2) was the first team to hold Germantown under 30 points this season. The problem for the Warriors was that they could barely muster any offense, scoring only once, on a touchdown pass in the fourth quarter. 

Germantown was balanced by strong offensive and defensive play as it has been all season long. The Red Devils are averaging more than 40 points per game and are holding opponents to less than 10 points per game. Whitehaven has beaten its last four opponents by a total of 187-38.

Edited by kwc

1 hour ago, kwc said:

Both are undefeated in Region 8, 6A. Germantown is 9-0 with a 19 * game win streak. The Haven is 7-2 on the season with losses to last years D2-2A state champ, Lausanne, and last year's Arkansas 7A state champ, North Little Rock.  Both of whom are undefeated currently.

So, who are you rolling with in this one? how do you think this one plays out? Let's get it started!

19 *REGULAR SEASON game win streak... but word on the street is we don’t have a chance. I’m glad we’re coming into this game healthy for the most part. I actually like us being underdogs in this one. Our defense has their work cut out and I hear GTown secondary is their strong point on defense which will be interesting against our newly found passing attack. We protect the ball and minimize penalties then the streak ends Friday and we get home field advantage in the playoffs

3 hours ago, reddyrebel6 said:

It is 20 straight. Won last regular seaso game in 2016 vs. Arlington. 

I stand corrected.

Well, reddyrebel6, please give your assessment/prediction. How do YOU see this game playing out? What do you see as strong points for the respective teams involved?

Edited by kwc

Any comment from schools located within Shelby County? Is this about da 'Haven in football, or is this about basketball too?

Rationale:

There is widespread abuse of the current transfer loopholes (particularly involving “bona fide change of residence”). Even if a student has a “bona fide change of residence” that is within the twenty (20) mile radius, a maximum of twenty (20) miles is not an unreasonable burden for transportation. Precedence has already been established (with non-public schools) that a twenty (20) mile distance constitutes “territory.” This would eliminate manipulation of the current system and simplify eligibility. Additionally, a student with an athletic record may have one “penalty free” transfer during high school – due to the variety of reasons that students transfer. Many times, this is accomplished with falsified documentation. It is common practice for a student to transfer multiple times using the current change of residence rule. This new proposal would allow one legal “fresh start” over the course of a high school career. However, this one allowance must be to a school competing in a different classification or division and be done prior to the school year for full eligibility.

While some may argue that the current transfer policy is only an isolated problem in a few areas of the state and in certain sports, the policy does have an impact on the entire state once post season play begins. Those schools with multiple

transfers are often the same schools competing for state championships year after year.

Nebraska has a bylaw that supports each student-athlete a one-time transfer without a domicile change as long as the transfer is to a different division. Arizona considered a rule in 2013 that would have ruled student-athletes ineligible for one year if they transferred to a school within a 50-mile radius of their previous school.

Submitted by Collierville High School

16 hours ago, kwc said:

I stand corrected.

Well, reddyrebel6, please give your assessment/prediction. How do YOU see this game playing out? What do you see as strong points for the respective teams involved?

I've only seen Whitehaven on tape this year, so it is hard to make a truly educated pick, but here is my opinions:

1.) Based on the number of D-1 prospects and commits on Whitehaven vs. those on Germantown, you would think Whitehaven would be favored. But that can be a double edged sword. Sometimes, that makes for more of a "me" situation than a "team" situation. I know Germantown is a team pulling in the same direction and focused on team goals as they have been for several years now. No doubt which team has more individual talent, but that doesn't always equate to better play.

2.) I think the coaching edge Whitehaven has in most of its games is offset by the staff at Germantown, which doesn't get nearly enough credit for the job it has done. I know Whitehaven coach is a vet and attracts the best players in the city, but Coach Smith has schemed pretty well in this game the past two years on offense and Coach Rebstock on defense has put together a stingy defense.

3.) The health of both teams entering a game is a big factor. Germantown needs its shut down corner and the rb they may be missing is a big part of the offense. I know Whitehaven has also had several players missing. Weather could also be a factor. 

4.) Special teams. There is no doubt Germantown has the edge in the punting and kicking game and it was a big factor in their win over Whitehaven last season.

5.) In the long run, no matter who wins this game, the path to the state title will probably run through the other's lane again in the playoffs. Memphis 6a is a war and the winner is often battered and bruised. It is hard to beat great teams twice.

All that said, I'll make my pick as a fan and go Red Devils 28, Whitehaven 20.

And that is no disrespect for Whitehaven and their talent. I know they are a great team.

• CoachT changed the title to Whitehaven at Germantown - The 2018 Region 8, 6A Title Game