Possible COIN FLIP for region Title is Region 6!

FridayMainEvent

Here is the TSSAA rule book on Tie Breakers

A. In Class 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A and 6A, all teams are required to play all other teams within their region. The teams
with the best region records shall be declared the region winner, runner-up, third and fourth place and shall
advance to the first round of the football play-off series.
B. If at any point when the following tie-breaking procedures are applied, one team has beaten all the other teams
that are tied for a play-off position, that team shall be rated above the others.

C. In the event of a tie for the region winner, runner-up, third-place, or fourth-place team, if either team(s) has
defeated the other(s) in regular-season play, the team(s) shall be rated above the other(s) in the standings. (After
the region winner has been determined, the tie-breaker procedure shall begin all over again starting at the top to
work out the runner-up position. The procedure shall be repeated to determine the third- and fourth-place teams.)
D. The following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular-season games, both region and non-region,
shall count (After each of the following steps have been applied, item C above shall be applied.):
1. The team with the greatest number of victories.    (BEECH/ HILLSBORO TIED)
2. The team who plays the greatest number of teams who win 50 percent or more of their games.  (STILL TIED AT 5 EACH)
3. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their games.  (STILL TIED AT 2 EACH)
4. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.  (Beech-41 Hillsboro-40)
5. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.
6. Coin Flip

This will play itself out until the tie is broken.   Even though Gallatin drops out of the tie breaker with the first criteria, it states the tie-breaker continues on until 1 team beats the other two.  IT DOES NOT REVERT BACK TO HEAD TO HEAD in a 3 way once one team drops out!  (At least that is how I read it)   Have we ever had a coin flip for a region title?

Edited by FridayMainEvent

Such a confusing process! Some people see it definitely one way and some the other and some are totally confused! Shame on the TSSAA for this stupid tiebreaker rule!!! Use Region games only to determine all ties! Common freaking sense! Three way and four way ties should always go to points allowed vs tied teams, then if need be points allowed vs. all Region teams! End of controversy and completely fair. Memo to the TSSAA! Using non region games is beyond ridiculous and totally unfair for everyone.

1 hour ago, RebelAtHeart said:

As I read it... head to head is the top tier decider if otherwise tied.  Who won between Beech and Hillsboro?

That only applies if two teams are tied.   You will have Gallatin/Hillsboro/Beech all tied in region play.   Once you begin this tiebreaker with the 3 teams, you follow it out until only 1 team remains.   (That's the way the rule reads) *see bold print*....... Logically you would think once Gallatin drops out of the equation with the first tie breaker you would revert back to head to head, but I don't think that is the case.

Just now, sportsguy22 said:

Such a confusing process! Some people see it definitely one way and some the other and some are totally confused! Shame on the TSSAA for this stupid tiebreaker rule!!! Use Region games only to determine all ties! Common freaking sense! Three way and four way ties should always go to points allowed vs tied teams, then if need be points allowed vs. all Region teams! End of controversy and completely fair. Memo to the TSSAA! Using non region games is beyond ridiculous and totally unfair for everyone.

Agree with that!  Rewards weak scheduling.

11 minutes ago, FridayMainEvent said:

That only applies if two teams are tied.   You will have Gallatin/Hillsboro/Beech all tied in region play.   Once you begin this tiebreaker with the 3 teams, you follow it out until only 1 team remains.   (That's the way the rule reads) *see bold print*....... Logically you would think once Gallatin drops out of the equation with the first tie breaker you would revert back to head to head, but I don't think that is the case.

I see what you mean now... I was thinking it dropped back to head to head once Gallatin dropped out due to overall record.  

Related... I agree that overall record should not penalize playoff seeding and conference finishing place.  Self-defeating to do this and encourages good teams from scheduling good games.  1-6A is a very tight conference where 6 to 7 teams could all be fighting for the top 4 spots any given year.  If I were scheduling in that conference I would lean toward setting up cupcake out of conference games to make sure I am not flipping a coin to guarantee final placement.  Obviously winning is the best solution to guarantee your playoff seat.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, RebelAtHeart said:

I see what you mean now... I was thinking it dropped back to head to head once Gallatin dropped out due to overall record.  

Related... I agree that overall record should not penalize playoff seeding and conference finishing place.  Self-defeating to do this and encourages good teams from scheduling good games.  1-6A is a very tight conference where 6 to 7 teams could all be fighting for the top 4 spots any given year.  If I were scheduling in that conference I would lean toward setting up cupcake out of conference games to make sure I am not flipping a coin to guarantee final placement.  Obviously winning is the best solution to guarantee your playoff seat.

Unless one of the teams tied actually beat those good opponents they scheduled.    Then your screwed for scheduling cubcakes (which you should be).

46 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

You really want to get pissed off?   Go look at the mess they have in Class AAAA in region 8!!   Four team region in which everyone will finish sub 500 and a winless Memphis East will make the playoffs....:blink:

23 minutes ago, sportsguy22 said:

Gotta love the TSSAA! Some 8 team regions and some 4 team regions? Good grief! Cluelessness. By the way FridayMainEvent, I spoke with you prior to our game at Page...have you seen the video of the final play of regulation?? 

I'm afraid you have me at a disadvantage sir.   I don't know who's associated to your screenname.   Shelbyville I assume?   If so, I posted the last 1 minute of regulation plus overtime to twitter @Tennesseesports    Now it was shot from Page's sideline so possibly not showing what your referring to.   Can you elaborate?

Edited by FridayMainEvent