TSSAA Official Playoff Possibilities

CoachT

My question is in Class 2A Region 8

As it currently stands Fairley       4-0  7-2                defeated Mitchell plays Douglass Friday

Mitchell    3-1  5-4                defeated Douglass, lost to Fairley plays Hamilton

Douglass   3-1  4-5               lost to Mitchell plays Fairley Friday

If Douglass beats Fairley, TSSAA says they are champs and Fairley is second with Mitchell third.  How is this so considering 3 way tie for first and no one team tied for first holds all head to head tie breakers over the others.  If that is the case, how come it does not revert to best overall record to determine first place?  After that, head to head should determine second and third. The way I see it, if all three tie for first, Fairley is champion based on overall record.  Assuming Mitchell beats Hamilton, they should be second with head to head over Douglass. I just don't see it the way TSSAA has it

15 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

As it currently stands Fairley       4-0  7-2                defeated Mitchell plays Douglass Friday

Mitchell    3-1  5-4                defeated Douglass, lost to Fairley plays Hamilton

If Douglass beats Fairley, TSSAA says they are champs and Fairley is second with Mitchell third.  How is this so considering 3 way tie for first and no one team tied for first holds all head to head tie breakers over the others.  If that is the case, how come it does not revert to best overall record to determine first place?  After that, head to head should determine second and third. The way I see it, if all three tie for first, Fairley is champion based on overall record.  Assuming Mitchell beats Hamilton, they should be second with head to head over Douglass. I just don't see it the way TSSAA has it

Anyone?

16 hours ago, ReitzFan said:

Seem like no matter what Failey should be 1st, unless I’m missing something. This from TSSAA website:

C. In the event of a tie for the region winner, runner-up, third-place, or fourth-place team, if either team(s) has defeated the other(s) in regular-season play, the team(s) shall be rated above the other(s) in the standings. (After the region winner has been determined, the tie-breaker procedure shall begin all over again starting at the top to work out the runner-up position. The procedure shall be repeated to determine the third- and fourth-place teams.)
D. The following tie-breaking procedures shall be applied and all regular-season games, both region and non-region, shall count (After each of the following steps have been applied, item C above shall be applied.):
1. The team with the greatest number of victories.
2. The team who plays the greatest number of teams who win 50 percent or more of their games.
3. The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning 50 percent or more of their games.
4. The team whose opponents have earned the most victories.
5. The team whose opponents have received fewer defeats.
6. Coin Flip

55 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

In the first scenario the TSSAA has posted for Class 2A Region 8,  add 'Hamilton wins' and see if that makes it correct?

I don't see thay anywhere but if Hamilton does win that would throw out the 3 way tie and you could go head to head.. thanks for your observation. That makes sense.

43 minutes ago, ReitzFan said:

I don't see thay anywhere but if Hamilton does win that would throw out the 3 way tie and you could go head to head.. thanks for your observation. That makes sense.

They don't have it listed that way.  But if you were to add Hamilton wins to this first scenario it would make it true. In a 3 way tie your are correct.  This could be a misprint or overlooked I just don't know.

Division I, Class 2A, Region 8
  1 2 3 4
MAHS wins, Douglass wins Douglass Fairley Mitchell MAHS

2 hours ago, Southtowner said:

They don't have it listed that way.  But if you were to add Hamilton wins to this first scenario it would make it true. In a 3 way tie your are correct.  This could be a misprint or overlooked I just don't know.

Division I, Class 2A, Region 8
  1 2 3 4
MAHS wins, Douglass wins Douglass Fairley Mitchell MAHS

After you pointed it out, I factored in a Hamilton win and the numbers matched. I should have seen that myself. It all gets blury sometimes. If you have time on thursday check out my video broadcast of the tca at lake county game if you need a thursday fix

Thanks again