Showing Class

PJM

4 hours ago, PJM said:

To any and all state championship qualifying teams...please show respect and class to volunteers, especially young ball girls who help facilitate this tournament. They do not deserve to be cussed at or called disgusting names.

You better go to twitter for that. I don't think the intended target will see it here.

Edited by Red Rebels

5 hours ago, PJM said:

To any and all state championship qualifying teams...please show respect and class to volunteers, especially young ball girls who help facilitate this tournament. They do not deserve to be cussed at or called disgusting names.

I volunteer and i have no problem cussing back. Except this year was the first time in 8 years people behaved not including the Giles Co coach, the whole district hated him.

We had ballboys/girls at our state semifinal match for part of the first half, then most of them disappeared.  Those who remained were in the around 6-8 year old.  It is inappropriate to put a young child into a situation where they are incapable of performing their duties.  This is unacceptable for a marquis level state tournament event.

10 hours ago, MoonDogRex said:

Heard the Beech fans chanting "Miss it" every time a Greeneville player stepped up to take a PK in the shootout. Let's also go down this path in our conversation about "class".

It happens in basketball every time a free throw is taken. I wouldn't, and haven't ever,  do it or allow my children to do it but to me suggesting its “classless” is a stretch. 

10 hours ago, JFW3 said:

We had ballboys/girls at our state semifinal match for part of the first half, then most of them disappeared.  Those who remained were in the around 6-8 year old.  It is inappropriate to put a young child into a situation where they are incapable of performing their duties.  This is unacceptable for a marquis level state tournament event.

I would agree with you about young children not serving in this capacity. I do not know who sets the rules. I know on the volunteer sign-up, it allows 6-8 year olds to serve if their parent is standing with them to help them. 

The situation I referenced was where a 13 year old did not get the ball in fast enough for the coach's liking, but there was another ball still in the field of play.

I agree with the assessment that all games should have capable ball boys/girls, but until then, let's not call kids disgusting names and cuss at them.

2 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

It happens in basketball every time a free throw is taken. I wouldn't, and haven't ever,  do it or allow my children to do it but to me suggesting its “classless” is a stretch. 

Different etiquette for different sports.  Would you be happy if your daughter was a golfer and some clown yelled during her back swing?  Also, large numbers of free throws occur in basketball/with PK's the game is on the line for each one taken.  I would be highly upset if my fans did this to an opponent and yes I would say it shows a definite lack of class/poor sportsmanship.  

2 hours ago, Playerscoach said:

Given the option of building up their goalkeeper or attempting to tear down an opponent, they chose the latter. Enough said.

47 minutes ago, MoonDogRex said:

Given the option of building up their goalkeeper or attempting to tear down an opponent, they chose the latter. Enough said.

A parent's job is to CHEER for their daughter.  Period.

Not yell at a ref.

Not berate a teen age young lady.

Not argue with fans.

BLESS YOUR DAUGHTER WITH WORDS OF AFFIRMATION.

Sounds cheesy.... but it works.  Trust me.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BigG said:

A parent's job is to CHEER for their daughter.  Period.

Not yell at a ref.

Not berate a teen age young lady.

Not argue with fans.

BLESS YOUR DAUGHTER WITH WORDS OF AFFIRMATION.

Sounds cheesy.... but it works.  Trust me.

I would second this! Good luck to all the championship game qualifiers. I know how much labor and effort and time has been devoted to your teams to make it this far.