William Blount 2019

GovForce1

13 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

The very first game William Blount played was against Maryville in 1979 40 years ago at WB which the Rebels won 17-0. If a bunch of boy's from Friendsville and Lanier and a few skallywags left over from Everett weren't afraid to take on Maryville the very first game then why should this group be. If Maryville ends up being the toughest game then get it over with and it gets easier from there.

7-0 at the half. Defending AA (out of three classes) State Champions.

1979 (3-7)
WBHS 0 Maryville 17
WBHS 7 Campbell County 0
WBHS 16 Lenoir City 35
WBHS 0 Knox. Halls 8
WBHS 30 Heritage 6
WBHS 0 Farragut 21
WBHS 0 Oak Ridge 42
WBHS 13 Carter 14
WBHS 0 Doyle 21
WBHS 28 Karns 7

District = BOLD

Edited by Red Rebels

20 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Buster Smith. The Lanier RB that set the state record his Jr. year . I remember how upset all the Class of 80 was about having to go their senior year to WB. Buster went to Maryville instead. A few others thought really hard about it too. 

The halls at WB looked like there were gangs at the school. There were the Eagles who had shiny yellow and green jackets and the Falcons in blue. 

53 minutes ago, Red Rebels said:

The halls at WB looked like there were gangs at the school. There were the Eagles who had shiny yellow and green jackets and the Falcons in blue. 

Real school pride right there.  Wearing your real schools jacket after you had been systematically registered, marked for deportation and relocated against your will by the governing authority.

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

I'm still mad about 1980. I almost asked Ted about that when I saw him at the Skeeter.

It's funny you mentioned this because I was talking to Coach Story about the first year game being 17-0 this morning at Hardee's and he quickly changed the conversation to the next year when Maryville won 62-14. His very words to me was that WB was so awful that we had our third string in and they still couldn't stop us. He had the funniest look on his face then said what do you do in a situation like that, "tell your kids not to score".

• Like 1

Fellow Govs fans and wayward prognosticators,

I heard some disconcerting news through the clothes line (and Ethel's parachute panties). I have been given to understand that Supreme Chancellor Shad wont have real scrimmages this spring. Instead, he will focus on 7 on 7 work. This is interesting because Shad has said that 7 on 7s are a waste of time.

Maybe he changed his mind on the subject? I don't have any beef with 7 on 7 scrimmages, but they are a poor substitute for real scrimmages in full pads. Discuss.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Shadroach said:

Dang it CDad! Have you been in a coma or just not paying attention? He must go to 7on7 to teach the basketball players the rudimentary skills of football. There's certainly no time to teach them how to be linemen so they will attempt to displace their current skill position starters and plug in the bball players. 

And it'll be even better watching Spring practices this year than last. Last year the Field Generals would practice 22-25 kids while 22-25 kids stood on the sidelines picking their posteriors. THIS year they'll be focused on 14-16 players while 35-40 guys wish they were somewhere else.

Fundamentals and contact drills are way overrated. 

The Govs haven't had a good line in a decade. Maybe, they are just giving up on blocking and want to try to fling the ball around?

It is mind boggling that the Govs have so many big boys and the coaches still can't ever put together a serviceable line. The orange and blue clad men ought to be able to compete at the line with any team they go against. There is no excuse for the ineptitude plaguing the program. Wholesale changes need to be made. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ConcernedWBDad said:

Fellow Govs fans and wayward prognosticators,

I heard some disconcerting news through the clothes line (and Ethel's parachute panties). I have been given to understand that Supreme Chancellor Shad wont have real scrimmages this spring. Instead, he will focus on 7 on 7 work. This is interesting because Shad has said that 7 on 7s are a waste of time.

Maybe he changed his mind on the subject? I don't have any beef with 7 on 7 scrimmages, but they are a poor substitute for real scrimmages in full pads. Discuss.

I personally despise 7 on 7 drills and it's a total waste of time. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if you took a lineman or maybe two and rushed the QB soon as the ball was snapped giving them only a second or two just like a real ballgame to make a passing decision. That would allow the defensive linemen an opportunity to get involved in drills also. Seems like I may have went to the first year or two of it at Maryville College but between that and the jamboree their both useless as titties on a bullfrog.

• Upvote 1