Head Coaching Vacancies

On 10/30/2018 at 11:38 AM, Lacesout said:

Waverly?    kind of wonder who gonna steal McConnell from us.

Who knows. I didn’t expect him to leave because of his family, but he will choose football. I expect him to go somewhere bigger where he has some filter schools to bring in more kids. I don’t really see him choosing Westview, but who knows. Brighton is available, his old school. I’d expect him to go to a 4A 5A school with the hope of having more athletes than little ole Waverly.

Here is the truth about Waverly. The only ppl that care about sports in Waverly are the players, their families, and sport alumni. The administration doesn’t care. The school board doesn’t care. Everybody was excited about the program. They did well under McConnell. Granted probably the 3 most athletic football players in school history played the last 4 years.

That’s over. McConnell will leave. And Waverly will go back to being mediocre. Unless! They bring in Randal Boldin from Whitwell who is playing in the State Championship tomorrow in his second year as a head coach. Boldin is a former Waverly Tiger and I think he would be the best fit. He will be a great coach who actually cares about the program and has deep roots here. He won’t be trying to leave... ever. Any other coach that comes in will be here as a stepping stone for their career, just like McConnell 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trollin said:

Who knows. I didn’t expect him to leave because of his family, but he will choose football. I expect him to go somewhere bigger where he has some filter schools to bring in more kids. I don’t really see him choosing Westview, but who knows. Brighton is available, his old school. I’d expect him to go to a 4A 5A school with the hope of having more athletes than little ole Waverly.

Here is the truth about Waverly. The only ppl that care about sports in Waverly are the players, their families, and sport alumni. The administration doesn’t care. The school board doesn’t care. Everybody was excited about the program. They did well under McConnell. Granted probably the 3 most athletic football players in school history played the last 4 years.

That’s over. McConnell will leave. And Waverly will go back to being mediocre. Unless! They bring in Randal Boldin from Whitwell who is playing in the State Championship tomorrow in his second year as a head coach. Boldin is a former Waverly Tiger and I think he would be the best fit. He will be a great coach who actually cares about the program and has deep roots here. He won’t be trying to leave... ever. Any other coach that comes in will be here as a stepping stone for their career, just like McConnell 

Good post man. It would be nice to get Boldin "if" McConnell leaves. 

• Upvote 1

Brian Pence Resigns at East Hickman replaced by.....

Ken Johnson Resigns at Cumberland County replaced by.....

AIvin Palmer Retires at Fayetteville replaced by.....

John Mullinax Retired at Tellico Plains replaced by.....

Ethan Edmiston Resigns at Sweetwater replaced by MIKE MARTIN

Interim Kevin Orr-Rodriguez to be replaced at Boyd Buchanan by.....

Thomas McPhail resigned at Hunters Lane replaced by.....

Jerry Lowery has Resigns at White County replaced by MARK FRAZIER

Trey Cantrell has resigned at Westview replaced by.....

Lorenzo Barnes has resigned at Hillcrest replaced by.....

Vic Wharton's tenure as Interim at Carter is over replaced by.....

Mike Dickerson has resigned at Smith County replaced by.....

Glen Ryan has resigned at Walker Valley replaced by.....

Kris Frady's tenure as Interim at Bledsoe County is over replaced by.....

Jeff Robertson's tenure as Interim at Scott's Hill is over replaced by.....

Vernon Wright resigns at Clarksville Northwest replaced by.....

Scott Tillman resigns at Lipscomb Academy replaced by.....

Sam Henderson's tenure as Interim at Melrose is over replaced by.....

Rockvale High School will open in 2019 and there first Head Football Coach is.....

Robin Jacobs Resigns at Brighton replaced by.....

Mark Taylor is out at Jellico replaced by.....

Mark Williams resigns at Gallatin replaced by.....

Tim Haney resigns at Bartlett replaced by.....

2 hours ago, Trollin said:

Adm don't care about Football?  Former Coach Graves is the AD.  Trust me, he cares deeply about Tiger Football.  Coach Rye, the principal, loves athletics, particularly football. I know this on fact.  Conversations with those 2 men the last few years, you can tell the excitement in their voices.  Heck, Their basketball coach won't schedule games in November anymore because of Football and kids being involved.  Waverly has had a run of very good players the last few years.  Before that, for years, they could not compete.  McConnell came in at the absolute best time.  Moving to 2A helped them as well. They really struggled when they were playing up in Region competition with Camden, Creek Wood, Cheatham County, Harpeth, Montgomery Central, Hickman County, Lewis County & even Stewart County.  If they can stay at 2A (biggest 2A school) they should be able to compete.

2 hours ago, ocac said:

Adm don't care about Football?  Former Coach Graves is the AD.  Trust me, he cares deeply about Tiger Football.  Coach Rye, the principal, loves athletics, particularly football. I know this on fact.  Conversations with those 2 men the last few years, you can tell the excitement in their voices.  Heck, Their basketball coach won't schedule games in November anymore because of Football and kids being involved.  Waverly has had a run of very good players the last few years.  Before that, for years, they could not compete.  McConnell came in at the absolute best time.  Moving to 2A helped them as well. They really struggled when they were playing up in Region competition with Camden, Creek Wood, Cheatham County, Harpeth, Montgomery Central, Hickman County, Lewis County & even Stewart County.  If they can stay at 2A (biggest 2A school) they should be able to compete.

Good to know that you know Rye and Graves. Congratulations. I know them too. Very well. They “as former coaches” of course live the game of football. Yes of course they are excited that they have done well the last 5 years. And as far as basketball goes, Trotter is waiting on his athletes from football to show up, because without them they are not very good. Someone can be excited about sports, it’s all good when things are good. McConnell has done a heck of a job with very little. If administration and Humphreys Co schools truly cared about sports, then there would be support, not in a personal level “which is what your stating” but on a school program level. I’m talking money. I’m talking coaching percentages. I’m talking facilities. If you want sports to be a dynasty like a lot of these other schools that win and make multiple state championships, everybody needs to be all in in every way. And the biggest part of that is money. Financial support for coaches, and facilities. Most everything that has been done the last 5 years is called hard work and fundraising by the team and familes and alumni. Don’t get on here acting like I don’t know what I’m talking about because I do. And lots of people will agree. You can’t keeo a great coach and staff in Waverly. And it all boils down to financial SUPPORT not attaboy support. 

Good to know that you know Rye and Graves. Congratulations. I know them too. Very well. They “as former coaches” of course live the game of football. Yes of course they are excited that they have done well the last 5 years. And as far as basketball goes, Trotter is waiting on his athletes from football to show up, because without them they are not very good. Someone can be excited about sports, it’s all good when things are good. McConnell has done a heck of a job with very little. If administration and Humphreys Co schools truly cared about sports, then there would be support, not in a personal level “which is what your stating” but on a school program level. I’m talking money. I’m talking coaching percentages. I’m talking facilities. If you want sports to be a dynasty like a lot of these other schools that win and make multiple state championships, everybody needs to be all in in every way. And the biggest part of that is money. Financial support for coaches, and facilities. Most everything that has been done the last 5 years is called hard work and fundraising by the team and familes and alumni. Don’t get on here acting like I don’t know what I’m talking about because I do. And lots of people will agree. You can’t keeo a great coach and staff in Waverly. And it all boils down to financial SUPPORT not attaboy support. 

McConnell has done an awesome job!  I really do think th administrators do care about th sports and other activities at Waverly. And although we have had some good talent go thru waverly during th last few years I highly disagree with th 3 best athlete comment.  The athletes are in every school it just takes a program that knows how to plug those players in to make it work.  

44 minutes ago, Lacesout said:

McConnell has done an awesome job!  I really do think th administrators do care about th sports and other activities at Waverly. And although we have had some good talent go thru waverly during th last few years I highly disagree with th 3 best athlete comment.  The athletes are in every school it just takes a program that knows how to plug those players in to make it work.  

I mean we can compare apples to oranges all day. May not be the best athletes ever but the best 3 that actually played football... on the same team...for 7 years in a row. There are lots of athletes in the school. But not many that has the commitment, heart, and work ethic that it takes to play football. 

And again, yes Rye and Graves care about the programs. But is it enough just to “care”. I know other highschool programs that get the funds to update and maintain sport facilities and their needs. They also fork out more pay for good coaches. Not just head coaches but entire staffs. They also create jobs in the schools for those coaches. We are one of the largest schools in 2A and you couldn’t even tell it. Our coaches make piss poor salaries and no coach wants to stay here, unless your Graves or Pullen who were honored to coach here in this county. There were players that Graves couldn’t pull out to the field to play, and McConnell was able to do that. Bottom line it comes down to the school board and funding and administration fighting and pushing to make it happen. I guarantee that programs like Peabody who have top tier coaches (head coaches that come there as assistants to be coordinators) make a lot more money than our coaches do here. It’s because Humphreys County doesn’t care to make it happen. To grow and develop top sports programs. Humphreys County is just the good ole boys club. It’s all about family and who you know. So until changes are made, every 15-20 years Waverly might have a run like they did these past several years. We will continue to bounce through coaches and staff. Only 1 or 2 coaches are even employed by the school. That’s the way it’s always been. So mark my words, if McConnell leaves and Waverly’s administration and board doesn’t put more effort into our sports programs we will go back to making it to the first round of the playoffs once every 5 years only to be put out. And I think the opposing teams have said enough about our facilities for the past 20 years and nothing has been done but some concrete steps on the visitors side THIS year. The locker rooms are awful. 

• Upvote 2

I mean we can compare apples to oranges all day. May not be the best athletes ever but the best 3 that actually played football... on the same team...for 7 years in a row. There are lots of athletes in the school. But not many that has the commitment, heart, and work ethic that it takes to play football. 

And again, yes Rye and Graves care about the programs. But is it enough just to “care”. I know other highschool programs that get the funds to update and maintain sport facilities and their needs. They also fork out more pay for good coaches. Not just head coaches but entire staffs. They also create jobs in the schools for those coaches. We are one of the largest schools in 2A and you couldn’t even tell it. Our coaches make piss poor salaries and no coach wants to stay here, unless your Graves or Pullen who were honored to coach here in this county. There were players that Graves couldn’t pull out to the field to play, and McConnell was able to do that. Bottom line it comes down to the school board and funding and administration fighting and pushing to make it happen. I guarantee that programs like Peabody who have top tier coaches (head coaches that come there as assistants to be coordinators) make a lot more money than our coaches do here. It’s because Humphreys County doesn’t care to make it happen. To grow and develop top sports programs. Humphreys County is just the good ole boys club. It’s all about family and who you know. So until changes are made, every 15-20 years Waverly might have a run like they did these past several years. We will continue to bounce through coaches and staff. Only 1 or 2 coaches are even employed by the school. That’s the way it’s always been. So mark my words, if McConnell leaves and Waverly’s administration and board doesn’t put more effort into our sports programs we will go back to making it to the first round of the playoffs once every 5 years only to be put out. And I think the opposing teams have said enough about our facilities for the past 20 years and nothing has been done but some concrete steps on the visitors side THIS year. The locker rooms are awful. 

Amen. It's going to take some of us getting on schoolboard and changing up the old boys club 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Trollin said:

Bad post. We here at Scotts Hill had our own "McConnell" with Coach Stroup...he took over our young program with 24 players, a short history of being everyone's homecoming date, and winning 2 games per year against below average competition. Within 2 seasons he won us a playoff game, and in four we lost a heartbreaker to your Waverly Tigers in the quarterfinals, with 66  kids on the roster. USJ made him an offer that he couldn't refuse, not because we were a stepping stone, but because he had/has a family and career to consider. Could we be bitter about it? Yes, but the truth of the matter is that he left us far better off than when he came here, and both benefited greatly from his being here. I have nothing but respect for the MAN and the coach that he is, wish him well in every endeavor, and am proud to call him a friend. Waverly has attained the status of a premier program under McConnell's watch, and if it's over, you still owe the man your gratitude for what he's done for your community, your school, and your young men who learned from him the right way to play the game.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Bad post. We here at Scotts Hill had our own "McConnell" with Coach Stroup...he took over our young program with 24 players, a short history of being everyone's homecoming date, and winning 2 games per year against below average competition. Within 2 seasons he won us a playoff game, and in four we lost a heartbreaker to your Waverly Tigers in the quarterfinals, with 66  kids on the roster. USJ made him an offer that he couldn't refuse, not because we were a stepping stone, but because he had/has a family and career to consider. Could we be bitter about it? Yes, but the truth of the matter is that he left us far better off than when he came here, and both benefited greatly from his being here. I have nothing but respect for the MAN and the coach that he is, wish him well in every endeavor, and am proud to call him a friend. Waverly has attained the status of a premier program under McConnell's watch, and if it's over, you still owe the man your gratitude for what he's done for your community, your school, and your young men who learned from him the right way to play the game.

Agreed