Head Coaching Vacancies

12 minutes ago, Trollin said:

Well first of all I am a Waverly lifelong resident and Waverly football alumni who deeply cares and is passionate about this program. I have been a part of this epic roller coaster for over 20 years. I have supported this program over and over in every way possible. Literally. I have seen coaches come and go. I have watched this program suffer and watch as the school system gave nothing. So excuse me for being salty as h e l l when I have watched our program blossom and grow like I have never seen before the past 5 years under McConnell. So if you want to call me “knocking” him if he leaves, for whatever reason then knock knock knock. If he were to leave then I blame the school system. This is a thread that I have the free range to say whatever it is I want. And I feel as if he leaves then he doesn’t care enough about the program to stay and that he is using this as a stepping stone for his career. Which if that’s what he wants to do then that is his choice. I will be bitter. And am being bitter. And I could care less what you think of my opinion. You worry about your own school. I respected your posts in the past. But these I do not. If you and Scott’s Hill are ok with flopping coaches every few years and having years where you are down right terrible then ok. You guys have had one good run in football as a school. If your ok with that then good for you. But as for me, I will not he satisfied until we are consistently good like we have been for the past 5 years. I feel like if McConnell leaves all that will go away. I think the school system could do some things to keep him. If he leaves I think the school system could do something’s to replace him and find a good coach and keep him. Your input is talking about growing men in the program and teaching them life lessons and all that. Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s what all coaches are supposed to do, and do do. I’m talking about the entirety of a good football program. I believe things could be better. And if you want to give me a hard time for being passionate about our program, and me being frustrated because we might lose McConnell then just keep bringing it. Because my opinion won’t change. Notice on this thread Waverly folk agree with me. They know. The feeling is mutual. So if you don’t have anything positive to say about what I have to say, then just keep your nose in Scott’s Hill. 

Amen. Need more Alum or the ones that care about our waverly kids and the pride we all have to be more passionate and vocal 

2 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Scotts Hill has facilities now that weren't even in discussion before Stroup, because he built a program, not just a winning team. We only had a team for four years before he came, and there was serious discussion about whether to continue the program because of low numbers. In the four years that Coach Stroup was there, we built a new fieldhouse with coach's offices and weightroom, bathrooms, new bleachers, press box, practice field, and two concession stands, along with cementing the fact that Scotts Hill was/is a football school and community. Hiring a coach is a gamble and I won't go into that further, but we hired another one today, and if he is what I BELIEVE that he is, he'll do for our program what Stroup did...if he leaves for a "better" job at some point, I'll gladly be back on here congratulating him, and telling the coachT readers how thankful that I am for what he contributed while he was here too.

It’s obvious your a big wig in Scott’s Hill. I’m assuming school board member or just one in the good OL boys club “politics of the small town” I’m assuming it’s a family tree your in. Similar to Waverly and their good OL boy antics. My frustration is not at McConnell himself. I respect him and I know his intentions are to grow his resume and become a big time coach. Just wish it would be here in Waverly. My frustration is at the entire school system. For many reasons, but mostly because I don’t believe they are doing enough for high school sports. The school system could care less if they don’t win a game as long as their son or other family member is a coach, teacher, administrator. Lord knows in this town their jobs should have been lost many times for many reasons. But the good ol boy club sweeps it under the rug. All I’m asking is that our school system do more for our sports teams. Because they don’t do enough. If McConnell leaves, he will leave with his name in the history books at Waverly. He will be sorely missed. And I’m assuming that when he goes it will be back to the old Waverly.

Edited by Trollin

Trollin I can understand what your saying. Its ok for some of the other guys not to agree. I respect Trader and BigEd more than I do anybody on here. 

I would like to see another Coach Hampton or get a coach like Coach Sharp. Times have changed and I think coaches like that are thin to none these days. I want a coach to bleed blue and white. Will I be bitter if McConnell leaves yea kinda but I cant ever blame a man to better himself and his family. If Waverly goes back to the one and done I will still be cheering them on and I know you will to bud. 

7 minutes ago, vandyfan1 said:

Trollin I can understand what your saying. Its ok for some of the other guys not to agree. I respect Trader and BigEd more than I do anybody on here. 

I would like to see another Coach Hampton or get a coach like Coach Sharp. Times have changed and I think coaches like that are thin to none these days. I want a coach to bleed blue and white. Will I be bitter if McConnell leaves yea kinda but I cant ever blame a man to better himself and his family. If Waverly goes back to the one and done I will still be cheering them on and I know you will to bud. 

Yea.. you know I will. Just frustrated. I’ve swore so many times of writing it all off and being done... but I care too much. Just imagine how it will be when my kids even get in school. Gonna be worst. Y’all just stand by lol 

Edited by Trollin

4 hours ago, Trollin said:

Yea.. you know I will. Just frustrated. I’ve swore so many times of writing it all off and being done... but I care too much. Just imagine how it will be when my kids even get in school. Gonna be worst. Y’all just stand by lol 

We have a terrible county. We have a very low tax rate and it shows.  Falling down schools, underpaid teachers, terrible roads, all the county building look like crap and were built in the 80 or earlier except where the county executives office is.  We will be lucky to keep McConnell.  Very lucky really. The only thing to keep him are the boys. He loves them. We are only losing one starting lineman and he is really high on this years freshman class. It’s the best class since the three headed monster that is leaving this year.  But this county needs to step up and give people something to be proud of again. Hopefully we get some new commissioners, co executive, and county attorney who actually want to see progress. We can be that retirement community everyone seems to want but we need to develop our infrastructure.  

5 hours ago, Trollin said:

Well first of all I am a Waverly lifelong resident and Waverly football alumni who deeply cares and is passionate about this program. I have been a part of this epic roller coaster for over 20 years. I have supported this program over and over in every way possible. Literally. I have seen coaches come and go. I have watched this program suffer and watch as the school system gave nothing. So excuse me for being salty as h e l l when I have watched our program blossom and grow like I have never seen before the past 5 years under McConnell. So if you want to call me “knocking” him if he leaves, for whatever reason then knock knock knock. If he were to leave then I blame the school system. This is a thread that I have the free range to say whatever it is I want. And I feel as if he leaves then he doesn’t care enough about the program to stay and that he is using this as a stepping stone for his career. Which if that’s what he wants to do then that is his choice. I will be bitter. And am being bitter. And I could care less what you think of my opinion. You worry about your own school. I respected your posts in the past. But these I do not. If you and Scott’s Hill are ok with flopping coaches every few years and having years where you are down right terrible then ok. You guys have had one good run in football as a school. If your ok with that then good for you. But as for me, I will not he satisfied until we are consistently good like we have been for the past 5 years. I feel like if McConnell leaves all that will go away. I think the school system could do some things to keep him. If he leaves I think the school system could do something’s to replace him and find a good coach and keep him. Your input is talking about growing men in the program and teaching them life lessons and all that. Correct me if I’m wrong but that’s what all coaches are supposed to do, and do do. I’m talking about the entirety of a good football program. I believe things could be better. And if you want to give me a hard time for being passionate about our program, and me being frustrated because we might lose McConnell then just keep bringing it. Because my opinion won’t change. Notice on this thread Waverly folk agree with me. They know. The feeling is mutual. So if you don’t have anything positive to say about what I have to say, then just keep your nose in Scott’s Hill. 

Believe me, I feel your pain if your coach leaves... I was sick when Coach Stroup left. You obviously care for your school and community like few do these days and I applaud that, but as I had to learn, it's football to the fans, but life decisions for the coach. If someone calls you, your son or daughter, or anyone you care for, and offers an easier job at much better pay, what would you advise them to do?

You are right, I'm school board... I am also Scotts Hill to the bone. My mother, Father, three siblings, two children, and hopefully three grandchildren (so far) will be proud graduates of Scotts Hill High.  I am definitely not good ol' boy system, I'm school board because I love my school and community, but that doesn't make me (or anyone else in that role) a big wig, and you'd laugh at yourself for getting that impression if you knew me. Our program has been in existence for only ten years, and I'd like nothing better than to attain the success that Waverly has had for a while, for the coach to stay until retirement, and build a tradition like Trousdale, South Pitt, Maryville, Alcoa, ect… that's what we're working toward, just like you are. I hope that there's no hard feelings for my words, they were intended as advice from someone who genuinely has felt the same pain as you recently. We will be fine with our new coach, and if McConnell does leave, Waverly will be fine with whomever they select to hire... success is a two way street, and our communities contributed to our programs just as the coaches did. If I came off as "high and mighty" (lol at myself), or looking down my nose at you, I apologize sincerely... it was not my intent.

Edited by tradertwo

16 hours ago, Trollin said:

I agree with you. Graves didn’t produce the wins in Waverly but had a great relationship with the team. Those boys loved Coach Graves. But nobody has created the football environment that McConnell has here at Waverly. My entire argument on here is this. Waverly administration and school board needs to do more to keep McConnell. If McConnell leaves, they need to do more to get another McConnell in here. And keep him. 

I agree with this 100%. My personal opinion is that a schools pride and respect from other schools come most off the success of the football program. I am in no means shunning other sports because I've been apart of all sports in Waverly for many years but in my opinion when a schools football program does well the others follow suit. The school system needs to anti up to keep McConnell. 

Yes, the school system needs to ante up and support McConnell and his entire staff. From the outside looking in, I can never remember Waverly being so hard to beat in football. Sometimes school systems don't know what they have until the guys are gone. I made some people over there mad a year ago talking about this, and for that I apologize. But I could see this coming. It is a repeating theme at mid-size public schools. 

7 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Believe me, I feel your pain if your coach leaves... I was sick when Coach Stroup left. You obviously care for your school and community like few do these days and I applaud that, but as I had to learn, it's football to the fans, but life decisions for the coach. If someone calls you, your son or daughter, or anyone you care for, and offers an easier job at much better pay, what would you advise them to do?

You are right, I'm school board... I am also Scotts Hill to the bone. My mother, Father, three siblings, two children, and hopefully three grandchildren (so far) will be proud graduates of Scotts Hill High.  I am definitely not good ol' boy system, I'm school board because I love my school and community, but that doesn't make me (or anyone else in that role) a big wig, and you'd laugh at yourself for getting that impression if you knew me. Our program has been in existence for only ten years, and I'd like nothing better than to attain the success that Waverly has had for a while, for the coach to stay until retirement, and build a tradition like Trousdale, South Pitt, Maryville, Alcoa, ect… that's what we're working toward, just like you are. I hope that there's no hard feelings for my words, they were intended as advice from someone who genuinely has felt the same pain as you recently. We will be fine with our new coach, and if McConnell does leave, Waverly will be fine with whomever they select to hire... success is a two way street, and our communities contributed to our programs just as the coaches did. If I came off as "high and mighty" (lol at myself), or looking down my nose at you, I apologize sincerely... it was not my intent.

Great post. Much respect to you. Thank you

13 hours ago, PHSRollTide said:

So who is the coach for Scott’s Hill?

somebody let the cat out if the bag lol

Sorry, but it was requested that it not be made public until Monday (officially) . The man we hired has the character to meet with his team(s) first, and I suspect with his current administration and supporters beforehand. In a perfect world, you want to let them hear it directly from you first. In the world we live in, it's out there already if you ask around.

• Upvote 1