Head Coaching Vacancies

9 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Bad post. We here at Scotts Hill had our own "McConnell" with Coach Stroup...he took over our young program with 24 players, a short history of being everyone's homecoming date, and winning 2 games per year against below average competition. Within 2 seasons he won us a playoff game, and in four we lost a heartbreaker to your Waverly Tigers in the quarterfinals, with 66  kids on the roster. USJ made him an offer that he couldn't refuse, not because we were a stepping stone, but because he had/has a family and career to consider. Could we be bitter about it? Yes, but the truth of the matter is that he left us far better off than when he came here, and both benefited greatly from his being here. I have nothing but respect for the MAN and the coach that he is, wish him well in every endeavor, and am proud to call him a friend. Waverly has attained the status of a premier program under McConnell's watch, and if it's over, you still owe the man your gratitude for what he's done for your community, your school, and your young men who learned from him the right way to play the game.

Was anything anyone said a knock on McConnell? Nope didn’t think so

12 minutes ago, Lacesout said:

Agreed

Nobody is knocking McConnell. Not taking anything away from him. heck I know him personally. I’m sure all you knuckle heads know me. And I’m sure all the screen shot have been passed around by this morning. But I’m speaking the truth. 

I know the hard work McConnell has done. He has done it single handily. But what happens if he leaves. If he leaves it’s over for Waverly if he leaves unless major changes are made to support and keep a good coach and build the program. 

9 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Bad post. We here at Scotts Hill had our own "McConnell" with Coach Stroup...he took over our young program with 24 players, a short history of being everyone's homecoming date, and winning 2 games per year against below average competition. Within 2 seasons he won us a playoff game, and in four we lost a heartbreaker to your Waverly Tigers in the quarterfinals, with 66  kids on the roster. USJ made him an offer that he couldn't refuse, not because we were a stepping stone, but because he had/has a family and career to consider. Could we be bitter about it? Yes, but the truth of the matter is that he left us far better off than when he came here, and both benefited greatly from his being here. I have nothing but respect for the MAN and the coach that he is, wish him well in every endeavor, and am proud to call him a friend. Waverly has attained the status of a premier program under McConnell's watch, and if it's over, you still owe the man your gratitude for what he's done for your community, your school, and your young men who learned from him the right way to play the game.

And where was Scott’s Hill after he left? At home with a mediocre record. And it will continue to be that way for y’all too. Until another good coach comes in. Then they will leave too. It’s the never ending cycle. Money talks. Support talks. Good facilities talk. If any program wants to maintain a good coach they have to do things to keep him and not allow him to leave. Small town USA football will be stepping stones for coaches because nobody wants to stay. School board and administrators gotta be willing to do things to keep good coaches. Other programs have done it, you see where they are. You see their coaches staying. You see their facilities growing, and you see them winning. Y’all can be complacent with a good run every 10 years, but us who really care are not satisfied. Don’t believe me, just watch 

32 minutes ago, Trollin said:

And where was Scott’s Hill after he left? At home with a mediocre record. And it will continue to be that way for y’all too. Until another good coach comes in. Then they will leave too. It’s the never ending cycle. Money talks. Support talks. Good facilities talk. If any program wants to maintain a good coach they have to do things to keep him and not allow him to leave. Small town USA football will be stepping stones for coaches because nobody wants to stay. School board and administrators gotta be willing to do things to keep good coaches. Other programs have done it, you see where they are. You see their coaches staying. You see their facilities growing, and you see them winning. Y’all can be complacent with a good run every 10 years, but us who really care are not satisfied. Don’t believe me, just watch 

I personally Know that trader is talking more than wins and losses. I have Seen what that community does for there program and athletes. Small town get get caught up in wins and losses when the bigger picture is how are the kids growing and being affected. Case in point is this year for Scott’s Hill. They had a bad situation but the foundation laid by Stroup allowed the community and administration to rally around those boys and program and salvage a good season. Plus the kids will walk a little taller going through the adversity. So to Trader, me and many more that is a win. So to me a school is only a stepping stone if the people look at it that way. Just my opinion. And that doesn’t add up to much

18 hours ago, Trollin said:

Good to know that you know Rye and Graves. Congratulations. I know them too. Very well. They “as former coaches” of course live the game of football. Yes of course they are excited that they have done well the last 5 years. And as far as basketball goes, Trotter is waiting on his athletes from football to show up, because without them they are not very good. Someone can be excited about sports, it’s all good when things are good. McConnell has done a heck of a job with very little. If administration and Humphreys Co schools truly cared about sports, then there would be support, not in a personal level “which is what your stating” but on a school program level. I’m talking money. I’m talking coaching percentages. I’m talking facilities. If you want sports to be a dynasty like a lot of these other schools that win and make multiple state championships, everybody needs to be all in in every way. And the biggest part of that is money. Financial support for coaches, and facilities. Most everything that has been done the last 5 years is called hard work and fundraising by the team and familes and alumni. Don’t get on here acting like I don’t know what I’m talking about because I do. And lots of people will agree. You can’t keeo a great coach and staff in Waverly. And it all boils down to financial SUPPORT not attaboy support. 

Then make your statement about support more clear and detailed & I would not have wasted 3 minutes of my life responding to you.  lol.  "Support" can mean a number of different things.  I have been to Waverly a few times over the years.  They have a fieldhouse that was not there when I was in school.  They have a practice area that a lot of big programs would be envious with.  They need a new set of visitors bleachers.  I am in no way comparing my Waverly knowledge to you Troll, it is obvious you seem to be one of the few people who care deeply about Waverly athletics and seem to be an insider.  It can be tough in small towns and small schools to generate corporate sponsors or financial support.  All coaches should be paid more than what they are............everywhere.  They spend more time with kids than their own parents/guardians.  It will be interesting to see what happens next for Waverly with McConell probably going back across the river soon.  What does Waverly have at the Middle School level and Jr Pro coming up?  

1 hour ago, BigEdMo said:

I personally Know that trader is talking more than wins and losses. I have Seen what that community does for there program and athletes. Small town get get caught up in wins and losses when the bigger picture is how are the kids growing and being affected. Case in point is this year for Scott’s Hill. They had a bad situation but the foundation laid by Stroup allowed the community and administration to rally around those boys and program and salvage a good season. Plus the kids will walk a little taller going through the adversity. So to Trader, me and many more that is a win. So to me a school is only a stepping stone if the people look at it that way. Just my opinion. And that doesn’t add up to much

That is biggest win of all. Giving confidence and making the boys feel proud of their community is better than a gold ball

1 hour ago, ocac said:

Then make your statement about support more clear and detailed & I would not have wasted 3 minutes of my life responding to you.  lol.  "Support" can mean a number of different things.  I have been to Waverly a few times over the years.  They have a fieldhouse that was not there when I was in school.  They have a practice area that a lot of big programs would be envious with.  They need a new set of visitors bleachers.  I am in no way comparing my Waverly knowledge to you Troll, it is obvious you seem to be one of the few people who care deeply about Waverly athletics and seem to be an insider.  It can be tough in small towns and small schools to generate corporate sponsors or financial support.  All coaches should be paid more than what they are............everywhere.  They spend more time with kids than their own parents/guardians.  It will be interesting to see what happens next for Waverly with McConell probably going back across the river soon.  What does Waverly have at the Middle School level and Jr Pro coming up?  

The JR high “coming from the JR high coach” has its best class ever moving up next year. I’m not sure I believe that, because I don’t think so, but it’s a good class. 

2 hours ago, BigEdMo said:

I agree with you. Graves didn’t produce the wins in Waverly but had a great relationship with the team. Those boys loved Coach Graves. But nobody has created the football environment that McConnell has here at Waverly. My entire argument on here is this. Waverly administration and school board needs to do more to keep McConnell. If McConnell leaves, they need to do more to get another McConnell in here. And keep him. 

2 hours ago, ocac said:

The field house was much needed and that is the greatest thing that Graves was able to accomplish. Even though it took McConnell coming in to finish it, and creating the practice field that we now have. All of the equipment in the field house and all of the work done to the practice field was McConnell. He created many fundraisers to help fund all these efforts. The money didn’t come from the booster club or now the QB club. It came from fundraisers. 

19 minutes ago, Trollin said:

The field house was much needed and that is the greatest thing that Graves was able to accomplish. Even though it took McConnell coming in to finish it, and creating the practice field that we now have. All of the equipment in the field house and all of the work done to the practice field was McConnell. He created many fundraisers to help fund all these efforts. The money didn’t come from the booster club or now the QB club. It came from fundraisers. 

How many fundraisers are the programs in Hump County allowed to do each calendar year?  Where I come from, they are only allowed 2 and it takes an act of Congress to get permission thru central office to be able to do that.  If Hump County can do more, then that is a bonus.  That allows programs to get the funds they need to be successful.  I personally thought the fieldhouse was complete before McConnell came in.  What changes were made to it?  I thought it was pretty nice.   As far as salary is concerned,  coaches know going in that they do not get "paid" as a teacher/coach.  If you land a gig that the school system actually chips in extra, then you have found a windfall.  Who is going to be QB next season now that their lefty is graduating?

Edited by ocac

6 hours ago, ocac said:

How many fundraisers are the programs in Hump County allowed to do each calendar year?  Where I come from, they are only allowed 2 and it takes an act of Congress to get permission thru central office to be able to do that.  If Hump County can do more, then that is a bonus.  That allows programs to get the funds they need to be successful.  I personally thought the fieldhouse was complete before McConnell came in.  What changes were made to it?  I thought it was pretty nice.   As far as salary is concerned,  coaches know going in that they do not get "paid" as a teacher/coach.  If you land a gig that the school system actually chips in extra, then you have found a windfall.  Who is going to be QB next season now that their lefty is graduating?

The field house was built, but the interior wasn’t all the way complete. A lot of interior finishing touches had to be completed. Plumbing, lights, concrete pads for lockers. Offices. Equipment storage. McConnell added field turf for the interior and an entire new weight room.  I’m not sure how many fundraisers. I’m pretty sure your right with 2. I know they do a strawberry sale and a lift a thon. As far as salary goes I know head coach gets a certain percentage for being head coach and all assistants get a smaller percentage of salary. It’s very small compared to other schools I’ve heard of.  As far as QB goes I have no idea. There is a freshman who will be a sophomore next year, Brooks. He will be a decent player, I’m not sure he will be ready for the starting job next year. Definitely no Gavin Stanfield. If you are who I think you are, aren’t you in a private system in the Nashville area. 

7 hours ago, Trollin said:

I agree with you. Graves didn’t produce the wins in Waverly but had a great relationship with the team. Those boys loved Coach Graves. But nobody has created the football environment that McConnell has here at Waverly. My entire argument on here is this. Waverly administration and school board needs to do more to keep McConnell. If McConnell leaves, they need to do more to get another McConnell in here. And keep him. 

It can be done !! Coach Jacobs has developed alot of relationships in the school system as well as our community of the last 5 years !! I can honestly say he will retire a Golden Tide coach,we are a small school system  but attract the best of the best coaches !!

Edited by PeabodyPride