Head Coaching Vacancies

Brian Pence Resigns at East Hickman replaced by.....

Ken Johnson Resigns at Cumberland County replaced by.....

AIvin Palmer Retires at Fayetteville replaced by.....

John Mullinax Retired at Tellico Plains replaced by.....

Ethan Edmiston Resigns at Sweetwater replaced by.....

Interim Kevin Orr-Rodriguez to be replaced at Boyd Buchanan by.....

Thomas McPhail resigned at Hunters Lane replaced by.....

Edited by BigStickDiplomacy

On 10/31/2018 at 10:58 AM, thatdevilforrest said:

parents unhappy about their kids playing time and complaining to admin is probably the biggest reason for coaching changes.  Unlike Alcoa, Maryville, Greenback most schools are stuck with what happens to come through.  When you have a couple of good athletic classes back to back you have a chance otherwise you struggle to win a few.  It doesn't matter who the coach or coaches are.

I agree with part of that, however coaches make a huge difference. Whether that’s getting players to buy in or X’s and O’s, it’s coaching. Good coaches learn to do more with less. Beech HS and Coach Crabtree is a good example of that. 7-3 this year in a “rebuilding” year. Just my $.02...

1 minute ago, eers said:

I agree with part of that, however coaches make a huge difference. Whether that’s getting players to buy in or X’s and O’s, it’s coaching. Good coaches learn to do more with less. Beech HS and Coach Crabtree is a good example of that. 7-3 this year in a “rebuilding” year. Just my $.02...

I understand what you are saying, I was referring more to rural schools in small towns.  Beech has good athletes come through on a regular basis.  Huntsville or Tazewell...etc

13 hours ago, eers said:

I saw Beech up close and personal.  They have players.  They are about to have more players if Sumner County Board approves the rezoning plan to take Station Camp kids away an send back to Beech & Gallatin zones.  

9 hours ago, ocac said:

I saw Beech up close and personal.  They have players.  They are about to have more players if Sumner County Board approves the rezoning plan to take Station Camp kids away an send back to Beech & Gallatin zones.  

Beech is still very young. Coaching has played a huge part in what they’ve done this year. 

On 10/31/2018 at 11:52 AM, cbg said:

How many of these head coaching vacancies are due to kids not wanting to work hard and the parents supporting the kids and not the coaching staff?  Winning in football is hard work (not as difficult as wrestling) and demands a major time commitment & work ethic from both the kids and coaching staff.  What I have found is that it's difficult to change the culture of a losing program to a state championship caliber team.  Major change will not happen over night and few kids and parents want "LITTLE JOHNNY" to be required to workout, run and watch film from 7:00am-11:00am Monday-Friday during the offseason.  They have a tendency to complain when "LITTLE JOHNNY" is required to lift and run at 8:30am-10:00am on Saturday morning after a game on Friday.  Not judging but just saying! 

Right on point. This is the truth about high school football. Most high school football players have to be developed to be competitive, much less be on a winning team. You can walk into the gym/field and compete at basketball/ baseball. Not necessarily win championships,but be competitive. You are born with the hand eye cordination to play skill sports. Plus you don't need as many to compete at those sports. Track is very similar. You are born fast. You have to develop your skills in those other sports but the athletes that have that natural talent will always beat out the non athletes with less work. You can win a state championship in track with less than a hand full of athletes. Yes you have to train at those sports , but you don't have to train at smashing  into another person for the major part of the game, must less every play for some positions. Wrestling is similar to football.  Good wrestlers are workout warriors and have to be physically strong, quick, great technicians, and be able to handle someone physically  hurting them for the whole match. Good football players and mainly on defense must be BFS than their opponents, plus good technicians, team players, coachable, hard workers, dedicated to practice, and like to hit people, and be able to take a hit. Especially at OL, DL, LB, FB, and RB. Putting your hand on the ground, head and shoulders smashing into another person is not a natural act, nor is running over someone every play or  putting someone on the ground every play. Maybe centuries ago? But it still has to be coached into most people. Some people put in a physical confrontation will just not fight back, plus it's assualt if you are not defending your self or someone else off the field. It is in alot of people naturally. Those people have an essential component of competing in football. I have seen great athletes not be the best football players, on not make it on the football field because they can't handle that physical confrontation that has to happen to be a competitive football player. They head for the track, diamond, court, of just don't play sports. I Leave out WR and CB because you could just be the best athlete at those positions and not have to be really the strongest, biggest , or most physical player and still be the most athletic, (run fast, jump high, and have great hand eye coordination). When you put the best athlete with a work ethic and they like physical contact at those positions, you can be a champion. It is hard to be smallest, weakest, slowest, not physical, not dedicated, not a team player, or coachable and be competitive especially on the los and defense. Hockey, rugby, and Australian rules football requires physicality, but most people don't skate that good plus you have to be an athlete with good hand eye coordination and work extremely hard. Ruby and Australian rules are similar to football in the physical side, but every player for the most part play the same position, or need the same or similar skill set. I don't think we play Australian rules in the U.S. , but  l might be wrong. They are both team sports like football where it takes more than a few players to compete. Wrestling is both a individual and team sports. You can be an individual champion in wrestling but not be competitive as  a team, but l bet that is rare. In football you can have the best player on the field but still lose. I left out soccer. I don't watch it or know much about it. Seems like a skill sport, not near the physicality of footbal, wrestling, rugby, hocky, or lacrosse. I Left out lacrosse. I have watched it and it is a highly skilled sport and potentially very physical. There is no los on every play. You have to be physical on the los.  Except ko, ko return, there is no los, but that is potentially the most physical hits in football. Football is the ultimate team sport, it has become almost a year around training, the most physicality, because of the size and speed and strength of the players. Add it all up and most little Johnny's don't fit that profile. Sure there are boys walking the halls that could compete, but there are more reasons to not play than  not liking your coach. But that is a ligitimate reason to not want to play. I bet there are a lot of players that love the game, but don't like there coach.  You have to love football, (committed) , to be a champion. That comment is dying in our country. Plus there are so many other distractions for young men today that weren't around 15, 20, 30, 40, years ago. Now some people will say that football players need to play other sports, that's fine. There are alot of young men that don't have the  natural athletic ability to play other sports of be competitive. Sure they could be on the team, but while they are practicing other sports, on the other team that same player is lifting, doing plyos, sqas, and some physical position training, that player is getting better because he loves football. I would rather have a team of football players than a team of athletes that aren't dedicated to the game. Some football players that are dedicated to the game can realistically only play one sport, football. That is what high school football needs more of.

30 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

Right on point. This is the truth about high school football. Most high school football players have to be developed to be competitive, much less be on a winning team. You can walk into the gym/field and compete at basketball/ baseball. Not necessarily win championships,but be competitive. You are born with the hand eye cordination to play skill sports. Plus you don't need as many to compete at those sports. Track is very similar. You are born fast. You have to develop your skills in those other sports but the athletes that have that natural talent will always beat out the non athletes with less work. You can win a state championship in track with less than a hand full of athletes. Yes you have to train at those sports , but you don't have to train at smashing  into another person for the major part of the game, must less every play for some positions. Wrestling is similar to football.  Good wrestlers are workout warriors and have to be physically strong, quick, great technicians, and be able to handle someone physically  hurting them for the whole match. Good football players and mainly on defense must be BFS than their opponents, plus good technicians, team players, coachable, hard workers, dedicated to practice, and like to hit people, and be able to take a hit. Especially at OL, DL, LB, FB, and RB. Putting your hand on the ground, head and shoulders smashing into another person is not a natural act, nor is running over someone every play or  putting someone on the ground every play. Maybe centuries ago? But it still has to be coached into most people. Some people put in a physical confrontation will just not fight back, plus it's assualt if you are not defending your self or someone else off the field. It is in alot of people naturally. Those people have an essential component of competing in football. I have seen great athletes not be the best football players, on not make it on the football field because they can't handle that physical confrontation that has to happen to be a competitive football player. They head for the track, diamond, court, of just don't play sports. I Leave out WR and CB because you could just be the best athlete at those positions and not have to be really the strongest, biggest , or most physical player and still be the most athletic, (run fast, jump high, and have great hand eye coordination). When you put the best athlete with a work ethic and they like physical contact at those positions, you can be a champion. It is hard to be smallest, weakest, slowest, not physical, not dedicated, not a team player, or coachable and be competitive especially on the los and defense. Hockey, rugby, and Australian rules football requires physicality, but most people don't skate that good plus you have to be an athlete with good hand eye coordination and work extremely hard. Ruby and Australian rules are similar to football in the physical side, but every player for the most part play the same position, or need the same or similar skill set. I don't think we play Australian rules in the U.S. , but  l might be wrong. They are both team sports like football where it takes more than a few players to compete. Wrestling is both a individual and team sports. You can be an individual champion in wrestling but not be competitive as  a team, but l bet that is rare. In football you can have the best player on the field but still lose. I left out soccer. I don't watch it or know much about it. Seems like a skill sport, not near the physicality of footbal, wrestling, rugby, hocky, or lacrosse. I Left out lacrosse. I have watched it and it is a highly skilled sport and potentially very physical. There is no los on every play. You have to be physical on the los.  Except ko, ko return, there is no los, but that is potentially the most physical hits in football. Football is the ultimate team sport, it has become almost a year around training, the most physicality, because of the size and speed and strength of the players. Add it all up and most little Johnny's don't fit that profile. Sure there are boys walking the halls that could compete, but there are more reasons to not play than  not liking your coach. But that is a ligitimate reason to not want to play. I bet there are a lot of players that love the game, but don't like there coach.  You have to love football, (committed) , to be a champion. That comment is dying in our country. Plus there are so many other distractions for young men today that weren't around 15, 20, 30, 40, years ago. Now some people will say that football players need to play other sports, that's fine. There are alot of young men that don't have the  natural athletic ability to play other sports of be competitive. Sure they could be on the team, but while they are practicing other sports, on the other team that same player is lifting, doing plyos, sqas, and some physical position training, that player is getting better because he loves football. I would rather have a team of football players than a team of athletes that aren't dedicated to the game. Some football players that are dedicated to the game can realistically only play one sport, football. That is what high school football needs more of.

Very long post. Read the first part and the last part. I completely disagree with what I did read and there was a lot of words in between. In regards to focusing on playing only one sport... Statistics show otherwise for football:

• 71% of DI men’s football players were multisport athletes.

20 minutes ago, eers said:

Very long post. Read the first part and the last part. I completely disagree with what I did read and there was a lot of words in between. In regards to focusing on playing only one sport... Statistics show otherwise for football:

I

37 minutes ago, eers said:

How many Good high school linemen on good programs , winning programs, championship programs never play DI college football much less any division college football ? Find that statistic. Plus most statistics are made to positively support a cause , reason, or idea. How many DI  linemen in Knoxville played on their basketball, baseball , wrestling, track, or whatever teams. How about in East Tennessee. How about Tennessee? You are looking at it from the stand point of naturally big, athletic, tall, (especially for basketball), physical specimens from a specific gene pool. Those are oddities that don't exist on most teams.(except privates that recruit those players and also some public's that have the ability to attract those players. I think l talked about that in my post. Sorry l wrote too much. You are not required to read it or agree with it. But l think if you talked to most high school coaches, head and assistant, they would agree. They want DI linemen, but very seldom do they get them. Most linemen must be developed. And most young men don't have the dedicated and commitment to do that.