Head Coaching Vacancies

2 minutes ago, BigTime1950 said:

How many Good high school linemen on good programs , winning programs, championship programs never play DI college football much less any division college football ? Find that statistic. Plus most statistics are made to positively support a cause , reason, or idea. How many DI  linemen in Knoxville played on their basketball, baseball , wrestling, track, or whatever teams. How about in East Tennessee. How about Tennessee? You are looking at it from the stand point of naturally big, athletic, tall, (especially for basketball), physical specimens from a specific gene pool. Those are oddities that don't exist on most teams.(except privates that recruit those players and also some public's that have the ability to attract those players. I think l talked about that in my post. Sorry l wrote too much. You are not required to read it or agree with it. But l think if you talked to most high school coaches, head and assistant, they would agree. They want DI linemen, but very seldom do they get them. Most linemen must be developed. And most young men don't have the dedicated and commitment to do that.

While I agree with parts of what you’re saying, I disagree with focusing on one sport. I would personally want my football players to play another sport. If they’re not athletic enough for basketball, they should wrestle. You can play multiple sports and still “develop” as a football player. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, eers said:

While I agree with parts of what you’re saying, I disagree with focusing on one sport. I would personally want my football players to play another sport. If they’re not athletic enough for basketball, they should wrestle. You can play multiple sports and still “develop” as a football player. 

This.

The best thing that a young athlete can do is play multiple sports and develop overall athletic ability and coordination.  Playing basketball is great for footwork, overall coordination, and lateral quickness, which is vital for linemen.  Soccer does the same and also trains endurance and straight line speed.  Wrestling is good because it builds an innate understanding of leverage and emphasizes functional strength.  Baseball is good because it improves hand-eye coordination (important for linemen, too, when they're punching and trying to shed blocks).  Track is great for linemen because they can participate in field events like shot-put and discus, which builds overall explosive strength and balance.  Etc.  The advantages for skill position players should be obvious.

The key is they still need to eat to grow and be in the weight room lifting on a solid program.  If they're not doing that because they're playing another sport and the coach is opposed to them stopping by the weight room a couple of days a week to get their big lifts in, they aren't going to get any stronger and that's a problem.  If the wrestling coach takes those linemen and demands they cut a lot of weight to wrestle in a lower class (something I think should be outlawed for safety reasons), they also won't build the kind of muscle and strength they need.

The push to specialize in sports at earlier and earlier ages is hurting football more than any other sport.  Kids will play on basketball traveling teams, baseball traveling teams, or do club wrestling all year long and they "don't have time" for football because they're trying to focus on those other sports to get scholarships.  The funny thing is that football gives out more scholarships than the other sports combined, and only a very select few with a certain frame stand a chance of getting those, anyway.

Besides, it's not like you have travel teams playing football year round, anyway.  "Specializing" on football just means you're going to lift and train 12 months out of the year, which any kid can do while playing multiple other sports, too.  Good football coaches want their kids playing other sports as long as the coaches of those sports are respectful about sharing their athletes.  In my experience, it's always the basketball, baseball, and maybe wrestling coaches who refuse to return the favor.

1 hour ago, BlueDevil58 said:

This.

The best thing that a young athlete can do is play multiple sports and develop overall athletic ability and coordination.  Playing basketball is great for footwork, overall coordination, and lateral quickness, which is vital for linemen.  Soccer does the same and also trains endurance and straight line speed.  Wrestling is good because it builds an innate understanding of leverage and emphasizes functional strength.  Baseball is good because it improves hand-eye coordination (important for linemen, too, when they're punching and trying to shed blocks).  Track is great for linemen because they can participate in field events like shot-put and discus, which builds overall explosive strength and balance.  Etc.  The advantages for skill position players should be obvious.

The key is they still need to eat to grow and be in the weight room lifting on a solid program.  If they're not doing that because they're playing another sport and the coach is opposed to them stopping by the weight room a couple of days a week to get their big lifts in, they aren't going to get any stronger and that's a problem.  If the wrestling coach takes those linemen and demands they cut a lot of weight to wrestle in a lower class (something I think should be outlawed for safety reasons), they also won't build the kind of muscle and strength they need.

The push to specialize in sports at earlier and earlier ages is hurting football more than any other sport.  Kids will play on basketball traveling teams, baseball traveling teams, or do club wrestling all year long and they "don't have time" for football because they're trying to focus on those other sports to get scholarships.  The funny thing is that football gives out more scholarships than the other sports combined, and only a very select few with a certain frame stand a chance of getting those, anyway.

Besides, it's not like you have travel teams playing football year round, anyway.  "Specializing" on football just means you're going to lift and train 12 months out of the year, which any kid can do while playing multiple other sports, too.  Good football coaches want their kids playing other sports as long as the coaches of those sports are respectful about sharing their athletes.  In my experience, it's always the basketball, baseball, and maybe wrestling coaches who refuse to return the favor.

I agree with most of this. Having coached multiple sports at the HS level, it’s a two way street with coaches. I have seen football coaches push to play other sports and try to keep kids from playing other sports. In regards to lineman and Wrestling in particular, as a football coach I would prefer my lineman to drop 10-20 pounds of bad weight. There are a lot of HS lineman that it would benefit greatly to “cut” a little weight. The way weight classes are set up in Wrestling, a big lineman would never be asked to go to another weight class as the next class down is 220 pounds. Now, someone that is overweight and 235 pounds could benefit from going to 220.  All that weight will come back after wrestling season and can be put back on as muscle, not fat. Now I have strong mobile football players that have better balance, understanding of leverage and hand fighting skills. 

If all coaches could work together to make kids stronger and faster, everyone would benefit. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, eers said:

I would submit that not athletes are good football players nor are all football players good athletes. 

35 minutes ago, GREYRIDERx said:

I would submit that not athletes are good football players nor are all football players good athletes. 

Agree completely.  My point was you can play multiple sports and have have to be the best athlete. You will still become better playing multiple sports. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eers said:

Agree completely.  My point was you can play multiple sports and have have to be the best athlete. You will still become better playing multiple sports. 

I totally agree that high school kids should be multi sport athletes.  My true preference is that they participate in 3 different sports but to do that the school MUST have a cohesive strength and conditioning program.

On 11/3/2018 at 11:27 AM, BlueDevil58 said:

This.

There is a travel football team in Oak Ridge. Local Knoxville channel had a report on on recently.

Brian Pence Resigns at East Hickman replaced by.....

Ken Johnson Resigns at Cumberland County replaced by.....

AIvin Palmer Retires at Fayetteville replaced by.....

John Mullinax Retired at Tellico Plains replaced by.....

Ethan Edmiston Resigns at Sweetwater replaced by.....

Interim Kevin Orr-Rodriguez to be replaced at Boyd Buchanan by.....

Thomas McPhail resigned at Hunters Lane replaced by.....

Jerry Lowery has Resigns at White County replaced by.....