Tennessee High at David Crockett Round 2

stockton4182

9 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Consistently the Greeneville and Maryville teams that show up are so outstandingly good that the hot beds don't matter.  I agree with you that the majority of your kids go through a little league to high school program and know what is what, that's fine.  But I guarantee that if we had the eyes to see everything that when kids go from 8th grade to 9th grade, we would find that you have more kid who are outstanding athletes transferring into schools.  I've already had conversations with people about how the best football athletes in Greene County consistently transfer into Greeneville their 9th grade year, and I can't blame them.  Alcoa and Maryville, I'm sure, have had enough transfers from killer Knoxville kids as they go into high school that yeah, there is a reason that you have good teams.  The only reason, no, but it is definitely something that helps.  How many Happy Valley and Hampton kids go to Elizabethton?  It helps, and good coaching helps.

I think it would take 10 years for a DB or SH to do something like that.  If they haven't (I'm sure they haven't) then yeah, no chance, but you can also say that DB and SH do not get those county transfers like they used to get.  It makes a difference.

As  they say, success breeds success. Maryville and Greeneville had their system in place before the athletes started transferring in. If they get transfers sure it probably makes them better. But they would still be beating everybody without them. Athletes are going to go to the good coaches if they can. It's just human nature. If your having car trouble you want to take it to the best mechanic. If you have a son who is a good athlete you want him to get the best coaching in hopes to get him a free ride to a good college. You know how much a college education cost. Right now, If I had a kid at Science Hill that has a chance at college ball, he's going to DC next year. I think that's the way it works 90% of the time.

2 minutes ago, WaCoJaCo said:

As  they say, success breeds success. Maryville and Greeneville had their system in place before the athletes started transferring in. If they get transfers sure it probably makes them better. But they would still be beating everybody without them. Athletes are going to go to the good coaches if they can. It's just human nature. If your having car trouble you want to take it to the best mechanic. If you have a son who is a good athlete you want him to get the best coaching in hopes to get him a free ride to a good college. You know how much a college education cost. Right now, If I had a kid at Science Hill that has a chance at college ball, he's going to DC next year. I think that's the way it works 90% of the time.

110% agree with you.  We used to randomly get transfers in at Boone from SH and DB, but there was a reason that these kids left:  discipline issues attitude issues etc.  I don't see a place the Kingsport kids will be going to if they wanted football success... except maybe exit 4 here in a few years.

I'm really glad that Coach Chandley has had a successful year.  No one can argue that he was blessed to have some amazing athletes, but he set his program up well.  The Knox Central game will be one to see.  I have no idea what is going on out in West TN, but is it wrong to think that Knox Central Catholic and Crockett are the three top contenders for the state championship right now?  Granted I think Crockett has the athletes to play with Central, but it all comes down to them being disciplined for four quarters.  Knox Central's coach has a program that is ready to go all the way to the state championship in December.

25 minutes ago, formerblazer said:

Just to add one more thing about coaching, I don't know what it looks like on the sidelines and in the press box of a DB or a SH game, but I can tell you what it looks like on a Greeneville sideline.  You have 8 coaches on headsets on top of the press box, you have 8 coaches with headsets on the sideline.  16 coaches helps out.  They have hudl sideline (film immediately goes from the press box to the sideline) and an end zone system that also gives their coaching staff an end zone view.  That's crazy to me, I can't remember having more than 6-8 coaches on staff in total when I was playing ball.

I can't speak for now but if I remember correctly 10 years ago DB had close to 24 "coaches". I think a few were "volunteers". I just remember going to watch some of the practices and thought what a distraction that has to be. 

1 hour ago, WaCoJaCo said:

I can't speak for now but if I remember correctly 10 years ago DB had close to 24 "coaches". I think a few were "volunteers". I just remember going to watch some of the practices and thought what a distraction that has to be. 

I agree.  But I've read you on a lot of threads talking about getting out coached... imagine if you had all 23 of those assistants locked into a program, knowing what their job was on game day, and getting information where it needed to be as quickly as possible for split second decisions.  I think that's another part of the differences that we see from programs like Greeneville vs. SH and DB.  I'd be willing to bet a big difference in coaching staffs is how well everyone is being utilized on the sideline and in the press box.

edit:  out coached

Edited by formerblazer

4 hours ago, WaCoJaCo said:

Dang, they had as many coaches as Crockett has players lol. DC dressed 37 kids last night, not counting special teams, they may play 18-20 kids. Numbers are down this year but hope they start trending upwards.