Covington vs. McNairy Central 2nd Round

In my unprofessional opinion, game 1 between these two teams was a bit of a misconception. The final score of 42-7 (I think) does not credit McNairy’s team. They made a lot of mistakes that night that contributed to that score. I believe this game will be more challenging for the Chargers. Covington looked great against Melrose putting up 42 before the half and the defense has been lights out since that disastrous final quarter of the SG game. The atmosphere this Friday should be great due to solid fan bases on both sides. I look for a solid game. McNairy has a good quarterback and passing game, which has been a weak area in Covington’s relentless defense. I feel that the Charger offense will get rolling second half and defense will continue to dominate the trenches resulting in an early thriller but ending with a double digit win by Covington....35-14

• Upvote 1

McNairy looked pretty solid versus the Chargers at their place in the regular season. They were matching us score for score for a while. I don't know how much they have improved since then. I expect them to come in pumped up and ready to play.

i like the Charger offense this year. It may be the best O I have ever seen at Covington, and I've seen all but 5 or 6 games that Covington has played since 1985. They have shown me a great running game, passing enough to punish folks who want to put 8 or 9 in the box, and a QB who can make stuff happen, including running when needed.  The defense was a little shaky earlier this season, but I like the improvement I have seen the last few games.

I'm hoping that the Chargers can advance. I'm not into predicting scores in the playoffs, but I will be there supporting my team.

• Upvote 1

I think Covington will win by 25+. I hope they dont and take a loss. But in my opinion is that McNairy has went to far away from running the ball and depending way to much on the passing game. But anyway. If McNairy plays like they did this past Friday it will be Covington by 35+. 

Just hoping the Cats put it all together and make an upset win.

• Upvote 1

With Covingtons three headed rushing attack, with Gant being healthy again, and a QB that can do it all. McNairys defense will have thier hands full. 

Covingtons defense has seemed to come alive the last few games.

Hope for a good game, it's hard to beat any team twice in the same year, but I think Covington will handle this one. 

• Upvote 1

Looking ahead at weather for Friday's game, the low that night is predicted to be 28, and a 20% chance of rain. Break out the long-johns, stocking caps, blankets, and heavy jackets. This is when we separate the real fans from the fair-weather type.

i think that Covington will be there to support our guys and I hope that McNairy will come to town to back their team too.

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2018 at 8:07 PM, CHARGERFAN said:

McNairy looked pretty solid versus the Chargers at their place in the regular season. They were matching us score for score for a while.

Cov fan have you gotten your games mixed up? Wasn't it 42-7?

Expecting more of the same. Covington big. Early & often. Running clock. As Yogi would say expect it to get late early. McNairy's fans will be back home in time for local news

9 hours ago, wolfchase said:

Expecting more of the same. Covington big. Early & often. Running clock. As Yogi would say expect it to get late early. McNairy's fans will be back home in time for local news

Maybe he/she is thinking the trading of the first scores. Ha. As I recall, the first touchdowns were traded and the teams then traded several possessions before Covington scored again late in the second. After the half, it was all Covington. The Chargers did a great job capitalizing on MC's mistakes. I'm looking forward to the cold football weather and playoff atmosphere this Friday. I really hope that McNairy shuts the town down and brings the house. I'm not too worried about Charger nation, they'll be there in all their thermal & camouflage glory. I always hoped that Covington would have an alternate camo jersey for cold weather games as the stands seem to evolve from purple/gold to camo....:lol:!

Edited by 00Chargers

On 11/6/2018 at 10:40 PM, wolfchase said:

Well, It seemed closer from looking back. Here's the recap I had posted on 9/1/2018 right after the game:

"Can't give you a play-by-play, but Covington scored to make it 14-7, kicked off to McNairy and their return man fumbled. Covington recovered, scored quickly. Now 21-7.

McNairy still moved the ball and drove the length of the field, with first and goal inside the ten. Covington held 3 plays, and McNairy missed a field goal. 21-7 at the half.

Charger D stopped another first and goal by the Bobcats in the second half, while continuing to move the ball on the ground and in the air."

McNairy did move the ball on us though, as you can see from this account. Our D kept the score down by not giving up any points from two first-and-goal situations that they had.