Smith County HC vacancy

kingofthenorth

Until smith county and Gordonsville combine schools then the county schools will never be dominant in sports. All that it does is split the resources and talent across 2 schools for no reason other than some baby boomers and their precious rivalry. Newsflash: the younger people there want to combine bc it makes the most sense for the county. Imagine how good the combined Carthage and Gordonsville football teams from like 2000-2012would have been. More than likely would have multiple state championships. Ive heard also that SC doesn’t have a athletics director so that’s never a good thing. That job could be desirable but under the current circumstances then no one would really wanna mess with it. I remember when Maynard was there that stadium was constantly packed out in black and now it’s barely anyone at games and only 30 or so players. It’s sad 

On 12/7/2018 at 10:34 PM, zoneread56 said:

Until smith county and Gordonsville combine schools then the county schools will never be dominant in sports. All that it does is split the resources and talent across 2 schools for no reason other than some baby boomers and their precious rivalry. Newsflash: the younger people there want to combine bc it makes the most sense for the county. Imagine how good the combined Carthage and Gordonsville football teams from like 2000-2012would have been. More than likely would have multiple state championships. Ive heard also that SC doesn’t have a athletics director so that’s never a good thing. That job could be desirable but under the current circumstances then no one would really wanna mess with it. I remember when Maynard was there that stadium was constantly packed out in black and now it’s barely anyone at games and only 30 or so players. It’s sad 

If combined, they would be a 5a school, most likely, and I believe they would compete every year with the right staff.

I'm not opposed to it, but I don't think it will ever happen. I don't think the rivalry is the reason. I think most simply just don't want a school that big.

I think both schools have done rather well for themselves. Gville has championships in football and softball and tournament appearances in baseball. SC has semi appearances in football, and let's face it, that's an accomplishment being on the same side of the bracket as Alcoa. And their baseball team has a couple of tournament appearances. I believe those things are indicative of competing at a high level.

4 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

If combined, they would be a 5a school, most likely, and I believe they would compete every year with the right staff.

I'm not opposed to it, but I don't think it will ever happen. I don't think the rivalry is the reason. I think most simply just don't want a school that big.

I think both schools have done rather well for themselves. Gville has championships in football and softball and tournament appearances in baseball. SC has semi appearances in football, and let's face it, that's an accomplishment being on the same side of the bracket as Alcoa. And their baseball team has a couple of tournament appearances. I believe those things are indicative of competing at a high level.

not denying anything you said bc its true. those deep runs by carthage and championships by gville are always several yrs apart instead of being consistent. however since maynard has left carthage,it seems that the program has drastically fallen off what it used to be. gordonsville it hasnt been as bad but to an extent it has. combining the schools makes the most economical sense as well as for sports and school purposes. 

17 hours ago, croz6110 said:

No way they would be a 5a school. They would have to have over 1100 students to be 5a. They would be a big 3a or average size 4a school. If you where 5a that is the classification you want to be in anyways. 1a is south pitt and greenback, 2a is TC, Marion, Tyner, Peabody, Union City, 3a is Alcoa, 4a is Greeneville, 5a is the classification without a dominant team year in and year out, and 6a is Maryville, Oakland, Whitehaven. SC people are ridiculous when thinking that if they combined both schools they would be this big. Yes by SC people I am counting both sides of the river. 

32 minutes ago, oldsc7 said:

No way they would be a 5a school. They would have to have over 1100 students to be 5a. They would be a big 3a or average size 4a school. If you where 5a that is the classification you want to be in anyways. 1a is south pitt and greenback, 2a is TC, Marion, Tyner, Peabody, Union City, 3a is Alcoa, 4a is Greeneville, 5a is the classification without a dominant team year in and year out, and 6a is Maryville, Oakland, Whitehaven. SC people are ridiculous when thinking that if they combined both schools they would be this big. Yes by SC people I am counting both sides of the river. 

They would be a somewhat big 4A school if combined, but with the way the bracket plays out in 4A they would possibly go west in playoffs, so they would at least get silver. 

18 hours ago, croz6110 said:

I think neither side wants a large school  and  I've said that the sports would be extremely completive in 3A or 4A if they did.........

But as someone pointed out to me, there's more to this than sports. Such as .......There's 2 FFA where you have twice the number  kids learning skills and compete in such things parliamentary procedures, judging, etc.   Now you have 2 of .......well everything (sports included) that gives kids a chance that they normally wouldn't get at a big school with all of them together. Larger school............you only have 1.

I get it . Not everybody can play, and competition make you better....all that stuff.

Ya'll  tell me which is best .....Being a average player playing at a 1A -2A or 3A school getting a little playing time maybe more in 1 or 2 sports than all 3 making memories,  or setting in the stands watching  at a larger school.

There's been may times I've seen players at G-ville and SC play against each other on good teams, and thought about who would not be playing if the schools were combined. Some really good players would be setting on the bench.....if playing at all...........

BUT that said.....I wish they would combine.......