Smith County HC vacancy

kingofthenorth

2 hours ago, TCRadio said:

They would be a somewhat big 4A school if combined, but with the way the bracket plays out in 4A they would possibly go west in playoffs, so they would at least get silver. 

I don't believe they would be a big 4a school. What are the numbers at SC and Gville? I think they would be smaller than LA, DC, and Macon. Either way if they ever did combine which will never happen(but I wish they would) you wanna play in 5a it is more wide open than other classes IMO

10 minutes ago, oldsc7 said:

I don't believe they would be a big 4a school. What are the numbers at SC and Gville? I think they would be smaller than LA, DC, and Macon. Either way if they ever did combine which will never happen(but I wish they would) you wanna play in 5a it is more wide open than other classes IMO

Gville has 310. SC has 592. That would put a consolidated school on the lower side of 4A. I had looked at that before, and mistakenly said 5A in the earlier post. Like you said, to be 5A, the school would have to have more than 1100 students. They would be slightly smaller than Macon and LA, which are 914 and 944, respectively, but larger than Dekalb, which has 816 and is barely 4A.

I, for one, am not opposed to consolidation. The lost opportunities in some sports and programs would be made up in other sports and programs. Example, those who might not could make it in football could wrestle, run track, or something else. 

If they are ever going to do it, now is the time, before a new school is built in Gordonsville.

16 minutes ago, oldsc7 said:

At last reclassification in 2016, Gville had 327 kids and Smith county had 605, which would put them at 932 kids, which would put them right in that same ball park with Macon and LA. 

2 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

Gville has 310. SC has 592. That would put a consolidated school on the lower side of 4A. I had looked at that before, and mistakenly said 5A in the earlier post. Like you said, to be 5A, the school would have to have more than 1100 students. They would be slightly smaller than Macon and LA, which are 914 and 944, respectively, but larger than Dekalb, which has 816 and is barely 4A.

I, for one, am not opposed to consolidation. The lost opportunities in some sports and programs would be made up in other sports and programs. Example, those who might not could make it in football could wrestle, run track, or something else. 

If they are ever going to do it, now is the time, before a new school is built in Gordonsville.

This was the mid-term numbers so they are more accurate, I was lazy and just went to easiest link. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, croz6110 said:

I totally agree why not go ahead and do it now instead of paying to build a new Gville high school lets just build one big high school over near the ball park and be done with it. Track and wrestling would be great for that county. I for one love track and love coaching track myself. They are fun to attend when you are at a good meet. Combining would make all the sports better. That is a region they could win and dominate year in and year out.

3 hours ago, oldsc7 said:

I totally agree why not go ahead and do it now instead of paying to build a new Gville high school lets just build one big high school over near the ball park and be done with it. Track and wrestling would be great for that county. I for one love track and love coaching track myself. They are fun to attend when you are at a good meet. Combining would make all the sports better. That is a region they could win and dominate year in and year out.

Sounds like a plan to me. Only problem would be name and mascot lol and no smithville or Gordon county

On 12/7/2018 at 10:34 PM, zoneread56 said:

Until smith county and Gordonsville combine schools then the county schools will never be dominant in sports. All that it does is split the resources and talent across 2 schools for no reason other than some baby boomers and their precious rivalry. Newsflash: the younger people there want to combine bc it makes the most sense for the county. Imagine how good the combined Carthage and Gordonsville football teams from like 2000-2012would have been. More than likely would have multiple state championships. Ive heard also that SC doesn’t have a athletics director so that’s never a good thing. That job could be desirable but under the current circumstances then no one would really wanna mess with it. I remember when Maynard was there that stadium was constantly packed out in black and now it’s barely anyone at games and only 30 or so players. It’s sad 

Several more deep playoff runs, yes. Multiple state championships, no. Not enough speed even with both schools combined.