Catholic @ OR

SweetScience

2 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Besides a new field would NOT be next to Big Ed's!  This way can have the tradition and a great place to eat...........and get something really nice and cold to drink!

Bounder, how long until spring ball?

I'm sure Joe and the staff are already thinking about next year. Probably ought to give them until after Thanksgiving before starting again for next year. 

14 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

Well you are comparing apples to oranges BB. Knoxville Catholic has no zone so why complain about OOZ. Why not take a look at your school. Giving people breaks on tuition/aid that aren't Catholic, the not making them pay it back. Telling football players to go back to the public school they are zoned for after football season is over to save tuition money. Work out with the public school team during winter, then don't participate in spring practice, then go back to Catholic for next football season. How about this after their senior year is over, just go back to the public school you are zoned for to guraduate and save some more money. Who cares about the mission of the school. I thought it was to get a Catholic Education.

SMFH! Where in the heck do you people come up with this ####? Hopefully you're not as ignorant as your post makes you out to be. Please Please Please tell me the football player/athlete you'd be referring to....

15 hours ago, whytheattitude said:

We return 19 starters. We will see if we can compete. Maybe we will add a few Oak Ridge players too, considering you suck.  I bet we add several players for next year now that we can pay for people to attend.

I guess you are missing the part about Oak Ridge being a far more superior academic school than Catholic will ever be?

And you'll need a lot more than 19 'decent' starters to compete in the other division. Best of luck, you'll see pretty quickly who sucks.

It will be interesting to see if the pipeline of good players dries up  when Catholic is taking some L's in the private division II AAA .   Now if Catholic is competing with Baylor, MBA, McCallie etc. and winning their share of games,  than they could keep it going.  But at least, they will finally be playing who they are supposed to be playing.  And it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.  

On 11/18/2018 at 1:01 PM, BigTime1950 said:

Well you are comparing apples to oranges BB. Knoxville Catholic has no zone so why complain about OOZ. Why not take a look at your school. Giving people breaks on tuition/aid that aren't Catholic, the not making them pay it back. Telling football players to go back to the public school they are zoned for after football season is over to save tuition money. Work out with the public school team during winter, then don't participate in spring practice, then go back to Catholic for next football season. How about this after their senior year is over, just go back to the public school you are zoned for to guraduate and save some more money. Who cares about the mission of the school. I thought it was to get a Catholic Education.

WOW! You were acting like Catholic had a HUGE advantage since they have no zone but my point of reference was that most of the top teams in the area have athletes that are zoned elsewhere. I’ve seen many accusations about Catholic skirting the rules but your insinuations take the cake. You may want to directly contact the TSSAA and shoot for the death penalty for Catholic. I don’t think we could quite pull off all the maneuvers you’re suggesting without getting turned in to the TSSAA. Do you know how the eligibility is even determined for athletes coming to or leaving a private school?

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

It will be interesting to see if the pipeline of good players dries up  when Catholic is taking some L's in the private division II AAA .   Now if Catholic is competing with Baylor, MBA, McCallie etc. and winning their share of games,  than they could keep it going.  But at least, they will finally be playing who they are supposed to be playing.  And it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.  

I think the more interesting point will be if the pipeline expands when we can start recruiting like we are already being accused of. Catholic certainly has more to offer from the private school football perspective than Webb, CAK or Grace right now. I think the exposure to college programs is way ahead of any of those schools. Hopefully the pipeline will continue to grow.

I think a few Catholic posters are giving the Irish a bad name. QSouth and myself are the most consistent Irish posters and I can assure you we both respect the OR programs for both football and basketball. Don’t let a few bad apples speak for all of us!

Wille can attest to the fact that I’ve been involved with the OR basketball programs going back 20+ years. 

18 hours ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Besides a new field would NOT be next to Big Ed's!  This way can have the tradition and a great place to eat...........and get something really nice and cold to drink!

Bounder, how long until spring ball?

I need to be slapped, I've lived in Knoxville 19 years and I've never been to Big Ed's.  I need that on my bucket list.

• Sad 1

Just now, QSouth89 said:

I need to be slapped, I've lived in Knoxville 19 years and I've never been to Big Ed's.  I need that on my bucket list.

You absolutely do need to go there.  Here's a tip,   They take orders until about 9:45.  Do not go there until 8:00.  It is jam packed from 5 to 7:45 nearly every night.  

28 minutes ago, IrishBBall said:

I think the more interesting point will be if the pipeline expands when we can start recruiting like we are already being accused of. Catholic certainly has more to offer from the private school football perspective than Webb, CAK or Grace right now. I think the exposure to college programs is way ahead of any of those schools. Hopefully the pipeline will continue to grow.

BB I think it will expand if the team can win at that level.  If they can't get it going, that will be a tough recruiting pitch atleast for football players. 

2 hours ago, IrishBBall said:

I think a few Catholic posters are giving the Irish a bad name. QSouth and myself are the most consistent Irish posters and I can assure you we both respect the OR programs for both football and basketball. Don’t let a few bad apples speak for all of us!

Wille can attest to the fact that I’ve been involved with the OR basketball programs going back 20+ years. 

I respect IrishBBall so I will respond. I used to follow former Lady Wildcat Assistant Basketball Coach Lynn Burkey's Tennessee Stars AAU Basketball program. The Tennessee Stars won several National Championships. 

I remember one day back in the mid 1990's watching the Tennessee Stars practicing at the old Wildcat Cracker Box. Coach Burkey was at one end of the court installing a new Offense (I think it was called North Carolina) and at the other end a guy was working with one or two Post players. I asked CoachBurkey who the guy was and he was very enthusiastic with his response. He told me he had ties with Knoxvill Catholic and was a well respected coach. IrishBBall does indeed have credibility when it comes to working withe ORHS basketball players.

I have really enjoyed writing this post. I have been spending my time looking for information about the Oak Ridge Basketball programs on the Internet. 

On past players the information I can report is EJ Bush is a BEAST for Bryan College. He must be leading the team in points, rebounds and block shots. Just imagine if he didn't have a knee injuty his senior year at ORHS. Memphis East would have been Memphis Least. Former Star Point Guard G. Gee is also at Bryan after his two years at RSCC in Harriman. Doing great for Asheville is former Mr Basketball canidate Trejon Jones. The redshirt freshman last week scored 21 points on ACC's NC State. Former Lady Wildcats are also representing the Cardinal and Gray with high honor. Jaymie Golden poured in 17 points to lead her Queens College (North Carolina) team to a victory last week. Freshman Makiya Dowdell is an important part of the very talented MTSU basketball team. Destiny Kassner is still a great Christian and basketball player for Bryan College.

Current Oak Ridge Basketball news is just as good. Senior Jada Quinn scored 31 points against  Meigs County in a win early last week. Jada followed that up with signing scholarship papers to Tennessee Tech. The Boys also defeated Meigs. On Tuesday, the OR Boys Band of Brothers will take on Tabernacle Christian in the Bahamas. 

This has been fun but I still get uneasy about posting again. I still need time away but will post if someone directs a comment to me.

Edited by WillieTheWildcats

1 hour ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

I respect IrishBBall so I will respond. I used to follow former Lady Wildcat Assistant Basketball Coach Lynn Burkey's Tennessee Stars AAU Basketball program. The Tennessee Stars won several National Championships. 

I remember one day back in the mid 1990's watching the Tennessee Stars practicing at the old Wildcat Cracker Box. Coach Burkey was at one end of the court installing a new Offense (I think it was called North Carolina) and at the other end a guy was working with one or two Post players. I asked CoachBurkey who the guy was and he was very enthusiastic with his response. He told me he had ties with Knoxvill Catholic and was a well respected coach. IrishBBall does indeed have credibility when it comes to working withe ORHS basketball players.

I have really enjoyed writing this post. I have been spending my time looking for information about the Oak Ridge Basketball programs on the Internet. 

On past players the information I can report is EJ Bush is a BEAST for Bryan College. He must be leading the team in points, rebounds and block shots. Just imagine if he didn't have a knee injuty his senior year at ORHS. Memphis East would have been Memphis Least. Former Star Point Guard G. Gee is also at Bryan after his two years at RSCC in Harriman. Doing great for Asheville is former Mr Basketball canidate Trejon Jones. The redshirt freshman last week scored 21 points on ACC's NC State. Former Lady Wildcats are also representing the Cardinal and Gray with high honor. Jaymie Golden poured in 17 points to lead her Queens College (North Carolina) team to a victory last week. Freshman Makiya Dowdell is an important part of the very talented MTSU basketball team. Destiny Kassner is still a great Christian and basketball player for Bryan College.

Current Oak Ridge Basketball news is just as good. Senior Jada Quinn scored 31 points against  Meigs County in a win early last week. Jada followed that up with signing scholarship papers to Tennessee Tech. The Boys also defeated Meigs. On Tuesday, the OR Boys Band of Brothers will take on Tabernacle Christian in the Bahamas. 

This has been fun but I still get uneasy about posting again. I still need time away but will post if someone directs a comment to me.

Thank you for the kind words Willie. Those were great times and teams comprised of the best players in the state.

I’ve also had the privilege of coaching Mykia, Jaymi and Destiny. Excellent players but better kids!

On 11/19/2018 at 12:15 PM, oridgecat said:

They’ll continue to be good but not great. Will be interesting though.