eligibility

jimEhoward

Here you go, this is straight from the TSSAA 2018/2019 Handbook FAQ’s... 

Q. An eighth grade student participates as a member of a high school or junior high school team. The next year the student transfers to another school without any change of residence on the part of his parents. Is the student eligible for athletic participation?
A. No. The student is a transfer with an athletic record the previous year. His/Her parents have not changed residence. (This regulation is sometimes misinterpreted due to the statement that eighth grade participation does not count against a student. Such participation does not count as one of the four years he/she is allowed to participate while in high school, but the student is charged with an athletic record the previous year and cannot therefore transfer to another school unless there has been a corresponding change of residence on the part of his/her parents.)

I may be wrong and I believe it  only applies to 2 or 3 schools in the state but if the student changed HIS residency to go to school, ie attended a boarding school, that would qualify as a change of residency and he would be eligible to participate. This is the way it was explained to me 10 or 12 years ago when I was considering a similar move.

18 hours ago, jimEhoward said:

My son was an eighth grader last year and wrestled on the varsity high school team.  He transferred schools to a private school will he be eligible to wrestle this year.

Based on my interpretation of the rule, yes he is eligible to wrestle this year - however, I would look into making sure he can wrestle all 4 years.  It is my understanding by wrestling high school as an 8th grader, you burn a year of eligibility...meaning he could not wrestle his Senior year.

1 hour ago, ladyvol31 said:

Based on my interpretation of the rule, yes he is eligible to wrestle this year - however, I would look into making sure he can wrestle all 4 years.  It is my understanding by wrestling high school as an 8th grader, you burn a year of eligibility...meaning he could not wrestle his Senior year.

TN has had two 5x State Champions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ladyvol31 said:

This is incorrect.   From TSSAA HANDBOOK Participation as an eighth grader shall not reduce the number of semesters a student is allowed to participate after enrolling in the ninth grade