eligibility

jimEhoward

2 hours ago, durdon said:

This is incorrect.   From TSSAA HANDBOOK Participation as an eighth grader shall not reduce the number of semesters a student is allowed to participate after enrolling in the ninth grade

agree, I had two kids who wrestled as eighth graders and had 5 year varsity careers, not many public schools left where this is possible but there are a few.

1 hour ago, ladyvol31 said:

Is that for all sports or just wrestling?

probably for all sports where you have a K-12 or 8-12 grades under one roof. I doubt it come up often in other sports because it would be unlikely to see an eighth grader start varsity in a sport such as basketball or football.

1 hour ago, maj said:

probably for all sports where you have a K-12 or 8-12 grades under one roof. I doubt it come up often in other sports because it would be unlikely to see an eighth grader start varsity in a sport such as basketball or football.

I guess because our schools are 6-9 and 9-12 under different roofs it does not come up for us.

34 minutes ago, ladyvol31 said:

I guess because our schools are 6-9 and 9-12 under different roofs it does not come up for us.

not sure you have 6-9 in one school, then 9-12 in another nearby . Most middle schools are 6,7,8 and high school would be 9-12

Some of the very small rural schools are k-12 and a few were ( are ? ) something like 6 ( or 7,8 ) - 12.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:23 PM, maj said:

not sure you have 6-9 in one school, then 9-12 in another nearby . Most middle schools are 6,7,8 and high school would be 9-12

Some of the very small rural schools are k-12 and a few were ( are ? ) something like 6 ( or 7,8 ) - 12.

It was a typo on my part - I have a Freshman and have 9 on the brain.  We have 6-8, and 9-12.

I talked to the AD of the school today and was informed that because of the 20 mile rule between the two schools that he would not be eligible to compete on the varsity level this year.  I am disappointed to hear this for sure.  I went and looked at the rankings on pin tn and as an eighth grader only one of the guys on the top five for both divisions was able to win against him.  Oh well what can you do God willing I guess we have to be happy with 3 state championships not a run at 4.  Thank you everyone for responding

8 hours ago, jimEhoward said:

I talked to the AD of the school today and was informed that because of the 20 mile rule between the two schools that he would not be eligible to compete on the varsity level this year.  I am disappointed to hear this for sure.  I went and looked at the rankings on pin tn and as an eighth grader only one of the guys on the top five for both divisions was able to win against him.  Oh well what can you do God willing I guess we have to be happy with 3 state championships not a run at 4.  Thank you everyone for responding

Would you care to give us more information?

Jim, normally your son would not be eligible this year because of the 20 mile rule but if as you stated before that you sons mom  whom he was living with moved out of the East Hamilton school district then if it were my son I would go directly to TSSAA, speak with them and file an appeal. 

Yes, East Hamilton is within 20 miles of both Baylor and McCallie but that rule should be overridden by the physical residence change of his mom. The reason I say that is if let’s say  his mom moved to Chattanooga and your son was zoned for and attended Red Bank or Central this year then he would be eligible this season so I don’t think it would be quite fair if your son was ineligible at one of the private schools in Chattanooga when he would be eligible at one of the public schools.  Generally, the TSSAA is fair on transfers as long as it is not done for athletics reasons. You just have to make the case that this was a physical move and that is why your son transferred schools. 

11 minutes ago, durdon said:

Jim, normally your son would not be eligible this year because of the 20 mile rule but if as you stated before that you sons mom  whom he was living with moved out of the East Hamilton school district then if it were my son I would go directly to TSSAA, speak with them and file an appeal. 

Yes, East Hamilton is within 20 miles of both Baylor and McCallie but that rule should be overridden by the physical residence change of his mom. The reason I say that is if let’s say  his mom moved to Chattanooga and your son was zoned for and attended Red Bank or Central this year then he would be eligible this season so I don’t think it would be quite fair if your son was ineligible at one of the private schools in Chattanooga when he would be eligible at one of the public schools.  Generally, the TSSAA is fair on transfers as long as it is not done for athletics reasons. You just have to make the case that this was a physical move and that is why your son transferred schools. 

If he were a boarding student and not a day student would he not be eligible?  I feel confident that both Baylor & McCallie could/would make the necessary arrangements for this young man to be a boarding student.

26 minutes ago, cbg said:

If he were a boarding student and not a day student would he not be eligible?  I feel confident that both Baylor & McCallie could/would make the necessary arrangements for this young man to be a boarding student.

No, the 20 mile rule still applies to boarding students.   

I was told that her or I could have moved out of the country and back and he is still not eligible idk it’s frustrating that Tssaa just refuse to let these children play sports because of mere logistics I mean it’s not his fault that as an eight grader he cane one match away from medaling in the state tournament not reAlly a punishing offence