TSSAA Wildcards

sportman

I would like to see the TSSAA do something good like bringing back a wildcard for some teams that deserve to be in the playoff's. Case in point and I'm sure there is more out there, but how does Jellico who was 1-2 in region and 1-10 overall and Unaka 0-3 and 3-8 , how can they justify putting those teams over a team like Harriman that played a tougher schedule and has 7 teams from there region compared to only 4 in that Cloudland region and everyone makes the playoff's, but Harriman is a decent team that goes 2-4 in region and 5-5 overall.  I'm sure Harriman wouldn't have minded to take one of those slots to make playoff's and travel. TSSAA needs to use some common sense. 

1 hour ago, sportman said:

I would like to see the TSSAA do something good like bringing back a wildcard for some teams that deserve to be in the playoff's. Case in point and I'm sure there is more out there, but how does Jellico who was 1-2 in region and 1-10 overall and Unaka 0-3 and 3-8 , how can they justify putting those teams over a team like Harriman that played a tougher schedule and has 7 teams from there region compared to only 4 in that Cloudland region and everyone makes the playoff's, but Harriman is a decent team that goes 2-4 in region and 5-5 overall.  I'm sure Harriman wouldn't have minded to take one of those slots to make playoff's and travel. TSSAA needs to use some common sense. 

Well first of all Harriman could have went to region 1 but chose not to. They tried to put us up there and we requested to stay in 2. Simply cause we wanted tougher competition and didnt want to have to travel so far. We along with others thought Oliver Springs should have been made to go to region 1 since they were the new kids, so to say. 

End all regular season classes and regions. Allow teams to make their own schedules. After 10 games, take the teams winning at least 5 games, divide into 5 playoff classes by enrollment. Long story short, seed by win total. Equal wins would go to the team with tougher schedule. "Cutoffs" for each class would change slightly each year. This would be the smallest playoff class, this year, based on the mid-period enrollments. 

The big thing, no teams with losing records in the playoffs. Details would have to be fine tuned. 

Class 1A Playoffs: 

Quad 1: 

1) 10-0 Greenback 

2) 8-2 Oliver Springs 

3) 8-2 Cloudland 

4) 7-3 Oneida 

5) 7-3 Midway 

6) 6-4 Rockwood 

7) 6-4 Coalfield 

8) 5-5 Harriman 

Quad 2: 

1) 10-0 Whitwell (bye) 

2) 9-1 South Pittsburg 

3) 8-2 Gordonsville 

4) 7-3 Trousdale County 

5) 6-4 Moore County 

6) 5-4 Lookout Valley 

7) 5-5 Clay County 

Quad 3: 

1) 10-0 Cornersville 

2) 10-0 Huntingdon 

3) 7-3 Huntland 

4) 7-3 West Carrol 

5) 6-4 Wayne County 

6) 6-4 Jo Byrns 

7) 6-4 McEwen 

8) 5-5 Collinwood 

Quad 4 

1) 9-1 Peabody 

2) 9-1 Lake County 

3) 7-3 Freedom Prep 

4) 7-3 MASE 

5) 7-3 Greenfield 

6) 5-5 Trezevant 

7) 5-5 Dresden 

8) 5-5 Westwood 

This quads could probably be better geographically, just threw them together. 

Edited by Indian

Indian: what you're describing is basically what Illinois does. Adapting it to Tennessee would give you five classes, which would mean a minority of 5-5 teams qualify if you include Division II, or all but one if you exclude D2. (If you draw the lines based on next year's classes, you can only have four classes and still have to exclude some 5-5 teams.) This will take me a day or two to work out.

18 minutes ago, silverpie said:

Indian: what you're describing is basically what Illinois does. Adapting it to Tennessee would give you five classes, which would mean a minority of 5-5 teams qualify if you include Division II, or all but one if you exclude D2. (If you draw the lines based on next year's classes, you can only have four classes and still have to exclude some 5-5 teams.) This will take me a day or two to work out.

Won't work. It would bring in the human element (opinions), and that's a pandora's box that doesn't need to be opened.

Also, Stratford is playing the Friday after Thanksgiving... proof that records mean zero in the playoffs. Plenty of examples over the years of excellent teams with injuries or forfeitures that would have "eliminated" them with the wildcard option. 

I do believe that regions should be better thought out regarding numbers.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Won't work. It would bring in the human element (opinions), and that's a pandora's box that doesn't need to be opened.

Also, Stratford is playing the Friday after Thanksgiving... proof that records mean zero in the playoffs. Plenty of examples over the years of excellent teams with injuries or forfeitures that would have "eliminated" them with the wildcard option. 

I do believe that regions should be better thought out regarding numbers.

Yes

On 11/15/2018 at 3:56 PM, sportman said:

Brother, your last statement gave you the answer. Common sense is a rarity at the main office it seems.