Scott Tillman out at Lipscomb

fredjones

12 hours ago, Fortnite said:

I like the Trent Dilfer pick. Christian man, faithful family and has a daughter at “Lipscomb West” - Pepperdine where LU’s President came from. Nah. Not a chance an NFL QB takes a HS coaching job 2,000 miles away from home. 

Harding West, thank you very much!

2264.png

Edited by Red Rebels

13 minutes ago, dej08 said:

Why is this a huge hire? NFL experience does not translate automatically to being a good coach, and he has zero experience as a high school coach. He's totally unproven.

The name alone will attract athletes to their program. Also have you ever heard of the Elite 11 camp for QBs? That's a really big deal as well. Anytime someone hires a Super Bowl winning QB it's a big deal. Again, I'm not a Lipscomb fan, but I realize a big hire when I see it.

15 hours ago, fredjones said:

Caine Ballard?

nope......thinkin hes gonna b spendin time watchin that warrior son of his who has comitted to playin football in Michie Stadium and preparin to do what all young men should do.....givin a little time to help defend this great country of ours and keep it on its continued path of freedom

Booger just sayin :thumb:

Edited by Booger
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SPHS09 said:

The name alone will attract athletes to their program. Also have you ever heard of the Elite 11 camp for QBs? That's a really big deal as well. Anytime someone hires a Super Bowl winning QB it's a big deal. Again, I'm not a Lipscomb fan, but I realize a big hire when I see it.

I have heard of Elite 11, but his association with a QB camp doesn't change the fact that he has zero high school coaching experience. Being a head coach involves a lot more than coaching qb mechanics at a camp.

17 minutes ago, cbg said:

Truly not trying to be a smart a** but why would you feel that you could MAYBE compete with CPA at some point?  Do what you have to do to be successful or fold up your tent and get out of the football business.  For the life of me I don't understand the defeated before we begin philosophy.  

I'm not a player or a coach bud....my opinion means absolutely zero.

1 minute ago, dej08 said:

I have heard of Elite 11, but his association with a QB camp doesn't change the fact that he has zero high school coaching experience. Being a head coach involves a lot more than coaching qb mechanics at a camp.

No worries.  Tillman will still be at the school to answer any questions Dilfer will have, which will be frequent.  Tillman is 1st class and I wouldn't expect anything less of him.  

The name alone will bring LA a lot of press and publicity and most private schools love that.  A lot of clueless parents will think that it is so cool to send their kid to play for a super bowl winning QB. Some of those kids will be good football players and help LA.  If he is smart he will hire good coordinators that understand the HS game. I am sure he has the skills to coach QBs but hopefully will be smart enough know what he is good at and what his role in the program will be. 

Personally I think this is a mistake for LA and they would have been better off finding a quality HS guy who understands HS football but maybe this will work out.  LA certainly had to do something if they wanted to become relevant again.

• Like 1